Which 25'06 Ackley brass and dies?

Darryle

I am planning on building a 25'06 Ackley with a 7 twist barrel around the Berger 133gr Elite Hunter and 135gr LRH target bullets. I would like to use bushing dies to simplify the necking down of chosen brass and I would really like to avoid turning necks too. I am seeing little info around these two bullets with regard to the 25'06.

My limited research points to Lapua 30'06 brass as a favorite with Remington and Winchester right on their heels.

Since the introduction of SAMMI 280 Ackley brass, is this a viable option?

Edit: looking at the SAMMI drawings the shoulder on the 280 Ackley is too far forward.

I haven't gotten far on the die or reamer research, but I am still looking back at previous threads and builds on various forums.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mine aren't bushing dies but I am using the Redding dies. I am also using Winchester Brass. I was going to use the Lapua 30-06 but I also have a 30-06 so I didnt want to have a head stamp issue. I am pushing the 131's at 3250 with ease. I tried using hornady brass but was blowing primers before I got to 3000 FPS. The Winchester brass is on its 4th firing and so far so good.

I use a Redding Type S full length .280 Ackley resize die with the appropriate size bushing for whatever brass I'm using. Unfortunately, Sized down Lapua .30-06 brass leaves the necks too thick to use in my chambers without turning the necks.. And have had good luck with Winchester or Norma so, its the easy way to go..

I am planning on building a 25'06 Ackley with a 7 twist barrel around the Berger 133gr Elite Hunter and 135gr LRH target bullets. I would like to use bushing dies to simplify the necking down of chosen brass and I would really like to avoid turning necks too. I am seeing little info around these two bullets with regard to the 25'06.

My limited research points to Lapua 30'06 brass as a favorite with Remington and Winchester right on their heels.

Since the introduction of SAMMI 280 Ackley brass, is this a viable option?

Edit: looking at the SAMMI drawings the shoulder on the 280 Ackley is too far forward.

I haven't gotten far on the die or reamer research, but I am still looking back at previous threads and builds on various forums.

Thanks
I have 270, and 30/06 Peterson and Lapua Brass. I was at the time setting up to build a 6mm/06AI build. In making my final set up to release for the reamer, I came across or looked at the 280AI case dimensions. The 280AI case is about a .1" longer to the shoulder than the other cases, like 25/06, 270, 7mm, 30/06 case in the AI configuration. Peterson brass makes 280AI brass.
I do believe that you can fireform the case for others like the 25/06 case of size down other case to match the caliber. You are going to have fireform the case anyway.
I am also looking at starting a 25/280AI rifle build. I know in having a rifle built going forward here, I'll have a reamer built for me on any new rifle I have built. Because I can set the neck OD in the chamber. I can have the barrel pulled and rechamber the barrel to use again. So I get a longer barrel to start with anyway. Generally the Smith wants to shorten the barrel at both ends to start with.
The worst of it is getting 280AI brass to start with. You'll need to place an order in and wait. The last time Peterson made a run on 280AI brass that I know of was in Oct of 2021. You can email them and see when they are going to do the run. They will let you know about when that's going happen. Now I got 500 cases in one other. Graf & Son.
The other is you will need to set up bushing die, or dies, to reduce the neck size to caliber you are building for. It takes me 4 steps to go from 280AI to .243. You possible will have do it in 3 steps in reducing the neck to caliber.
You should be able to look up what the 280AI is pushing bullets in those grains you are talking about to compare.

I have 270, and 30/06 Peterson and Lapua Brass. I was at the time setting up to build a 6mm/06AI build. In making my final set up to release for the reamer, I came across or looked at the 280AI case dimensions. The 280AI case is about a .1" longer to the shoulder than the other cases, like 25/06, 270, 7mm, 30/06 case in the AI configuration. Peterson brass makes 280AI brass.
I do believe that you can fireform the case for others like the 25/06 case of size down other case to match the caliber. You are going to have fireform the case anyway.
I am also looking at starting a 25/280AI rifle build. I know in having a rifle built going forward here, I'll have a reamer built for me on any new rifle I have built. Because I can set the neck OD in the chamber. I can have the barrel pulled and rechamber the barrel to use again. So I get a longer barrel to start with anyway. Generally the Smith wants to shorten the barrel at both ends to start with.
The worst of it is getting 280AI brass to start with. You'll need to place an order in and wait. The last time Peterson made a run on 280AI brass that I know of was in Oct of 2021. You can email them and see when they are going to do the run. They will let you know about when that's going happen. Now I got 500 cases in one other. Graf & Son.
The other is you will need to set up bushing die, or dies, to reduce the neck size to caliber you are building for. It takes me 4 steps to go from 280AI to .243. You possible will have do it in 3 steps in reducing the neck to caliber.
You should be able to look up what the 280AI is pushing bullets in those grains you are talking about to compare.
I have 1200 pieces of Peterson 280 Ackley brass with plans for slitting it between the 280 Ackley and the 6.5-280 Ackley, now if I could find a 25-280 Ackley reamer and simply neck size the brass and use the Redding bushing dies for all three, that would be perfect.

Looking at the SAMMI drawings, the shoulder on the 280 Ackley is too far forward for a traditional 25'06 Ackley.

Does anyone offer a 25-280 Ackley reamer? Has anyone built a rifle using the 280 Ackley as the basis for the brass and basic chamber dimensions?

I have 1200 pieces of Peterson 280 Ackley brass with plans for slitting it between the 280 Ackley and the 6.5-280 Ackley, now if I could find a 25-280 Ackley reamer and simply neck size the brass and use the Redding bushing dies for all three, that would be perfect.

Looking at the SAMMI drawings, the shoulder on the 280 Ackley is too far forward for a traditional 25'06 Ackley.

Does anyone offer a 25-280 Ackley reamer? Has anyone built a rifle using the 280 Ackley as the basis for the brass and basic chamber dimensions?
I'm looking for that reamer too

I changed my original barrel (25-06) by having the smith run an AI reamer in the barrel. I believe he cut one or two threads off to get to new steel.
Subsequent barrel change, I went directly to AI reamer in new barrel.

I just got done with a 6mm/280AI caliber. I had a reamer built by using a picture with the 280AI case dimensions from a Sierra Manual. I have system with ADOBE that I can over write and change dimensions with a PDF file. My reamer ended up a little undersize in neck area. I want .013" thickness but the cutting of the reamer end having a .0125 needed neck thickness. In talking to the smith. He said I could send the reamer back and have it worked over to achieve the neck chamber size.
He was showing me on the main portion of the reamer is the balances of the after the shoulder. Now it's my understanding that reamer could be sent back several time to adjust the reamer and giving it new life.
Now Long Range Hunting "SSINFDG" has a 25/280AI built. Look him up here.

Attachments

• 280 Remingtion Ackley Improved-1.pdf
    183.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 6mm-06 Rem Ackley Im.-3.pdf
    205.7 KB · Views: 37

One other thing is you'll need to step the bushing down, otherwise you could possible crush the case in changing the neck to a smaller caliber. My 6mm/280AI I am having to step down 4 times to achieve the neck size I want.
A couple other things. Cut all your cases to the same length. If you cut your necks for thickness do it before sizing down. That way you don't create a donut.
I also think the 280AI case is catching on due to it being a little longer to the shoulder for more power. Now I don't know if you are cutting your necks or not for thickness.
The 280AI Redding FL busing die is what I use. I just change out bushing. Actually I got 4 Redding bushing dies to set up the steps, that way I didn't to take apart the die to change out the bushing. The de-priming shaft is larger as the case dimension are increased in calibers. I end up getting additional de-capping rod assemblies from Graf & Son to cover that problem.
To answer your question on reamers. You can have them built. Be careful on your neck chamber size. If cutting neck for thickness. .013" is the standard. Can be thicker than that, but not recemented to cut to less than .013" either.