Which .25?

I'll check it out. Will the twist rate be fast enough to stabilize the heavier bullets?
No, that is why Feenix has the best solution for your budget. I'd buy a used savage and a fast twist prefit. Bolt it together yourself. You can always upgrade the stock later, but mine with the accustock shot really well. The accutrigger is good for a factory trigger. If you end up not liking it, that can be replaced later as well.

Northland shooter supply is a great resource for this stuff.

Last edited:
The 25 cal cartridges are fun and usually easy to shoot good, at least mine are. I've shot most all of the factory and a couple improved variations. The responses of favorites are usually decided by mostly personal preference," low recoil, muzzle blast, really fast velocity, reloading supplies, etc. So many opinions start their pick with " I want the fastest, cause thats the bestest"! My criteria starts with accuracy and then the other traits line up with the cartridge variables!
Good Luck with your choice. I choose the 257 Roberts!
The Bob is an oldy but a goody!! It'll still get her done decades later.

The Bob is an oldy but a goody!! It'll still get her done decades later.
I'm thinking I would regret not being able to get the speed I would want. Or at least the speed that I think I want. Maybe I'm overthinking it but I have always liked "odd" calibers instead of the norm. I love the 280 Remington, 6mm AI that I had built and other out of the spotlight calibers. I'm not sure what I will end up with at this point. Might just build a lightweight 6AI since I have the dies and components already. I just thought I would like to work with the 25 caliber.

I'll check it out. Will the twist rate be fast enough to stabilize the heavier bullets?
I elected to go with 98gr Shockhammers and RL26. Over 3900 fps and sub caliber groups. Kills like a bolt of lightning.

Attachments

• 20210508_132412.jpg
    20210508_132412.jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 67
My 25-35 Ackley Improved in a 94 Winchester with a 20" barrel and shooting a 100 Gr. bullet clocks at 3150 fps. This is a really fun combo!
Now that would be a very sweet combo, I did up a Savage 99 .30-30 rotary magazine that I converted into a .219 Zipper once, but at the time I thought about the .25-35 AI, actually Savage did make a Mod 99 in .25-35 Win at one time, I figured if I didn't care for the .219 later I could re-barrel it... like many projects it never was done and I sold the .219 down the road. A friend, in younger years, had a .25-36 Marlin and managed to clown a lot of whitetails with it over the years on his farm. Cheers

If you were building a new rifle in 25 caliber for hunting and occasional target shooting, which one would it be and why? I'm in western NC so extreme ranges aren't likely but I would like to have the option to shoot the longer heavier bullets but probably would not purpose build it for one particular bullet. I like speed so I am thinking 100-115 grain bullets for the most part but I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
25 Super (25-08)

What kind of velocities does that caliber produce? 3100 or so with a 100 grain? I have no clue, just asking.
I would think close to that velocity or more with the right bullet and powder.
I have not built a 25 SUPER yet, but since we are big fans of the .243 and .260 am seriously thinking of a 25-08 when I build a .25!
Short Action, low recoil and plenty of Lapua Brass available. Neck up .243 or neck down a .260.

I would think close to that velocity or more with the right bullet and powder.
I have not built a 25 SUPER yet, but since we are big fans of the .243 and .260 am seriously thinking of a 25-08 when I build a .25!
Short Action, low recoil and plenty of Lapua Brass available. Neck up .243 or neck down a .260.
If you are going to be forming brass, you may as well make it an AI. 25-260AI... 260AI dies are easy to get. Like you say, Lapua brass....

I run a 260AI in a short action without a problem. I could get a little more case capacity with a mid length or long action.
I built my 6mm AI on a 270 action for that reason and don't regret it. However, I get to thinking if I am going to go long action, why not do a 25-06 AI. Then again, why not step on up to the Weatherby since I have already gone to the long action? Where does it end? 😂