Which 25 for a hunting rifle and 131 Blackjack?

I asked Rich about the 25SS this morning too. He didn't say he had plans for it. But did say the 25SST can push the 130s up above 3300. Which is smoking fast. And the 115 Berger @ 3400 would be no slouch on deer and pronghorn either. Might be my next build.....probably actually.

Depends where the node generally is for the blackjack bullet, a ss might not accurately sling it any faster than the sst

Depends where the node generally is for the blackjack bullet, a ss might not accurately sling it any faster than the sst
That's why I said I like the SS 40º over the SST 30º. Performance is probably very close between the 2. The SS has less wall taper and a sharper shoulder angle...Just personal preference, it's the design that I prefer.

About any of the calibers the OP mentioned would work fine.
The twist rate is what I would be sure of. A .25 at that weight is going to be long!
I would like a new barrel on my 25-06 it would open a new world of bullets!
But it wouldn't be worth the money to re barrel a Japanese Browning.

About any of the calibers the OP mentioned would work fine.
The twist rate is what I would be sure of. A .25 at that weight is going to be long!
I would like a new barrel on my 25-06 it would open a new world of bullets!
But it wouldn't be worth the money to re barrel a Japanese Browning.
Since it's not worth anything, and needs a new barrel, I'll give you $100 bill for it... :cool:

Seriously though, if it's an A-Bolt or A-Bolt II action, it is completely worth it. I have a custom built on my old A-Bolt II action. It's shoots great, and the bolt is even smoother than you can imagine. The 60º bolt-throw is also nice.

Have the new barrel rechambered to .25-06 AI 40º and you'll be surprised how much more you gain over a standard .25-06, and how you'll virtually never have to trim brass again after fire-forming.

I absolutely hate this thread. I literally am just finishing what I thought would be my last rifle build for quite a while....now, I am thinking about rebarreling a 6.5SS that has to be getting long in the tooth (and throat) with about 800 rounds down the barrel.

25 grendel, 25 creed 257 Saum all good candidates
Yeah, I suggested a .25 Grendel Improved to Rich about a year ago, but he wasn't really interested in it. So I've just been sitting on the idea. I think a .257 Grendel Improved 40º would be an awesome AR cartridge for the 131 ACE bullets...Espeically in a bolt-action platform like the Ruger American, just punch-out the factory chamber to the AI version and you're good to go.

Yeah, I suggested a .25 Grendel Improved to Rich about a year ago, but he wasn't really interested in it. So I've just been sitting on the idea. I think a .257 Grendel Improved 40º would be an awesome AR cartridge for the 131 ACE bullets...Espeically in a bolt-action platform like the Ruger American, just punch-out the factory chamber to the AI version and you're good to go.

Won't be a speed freak but I'd imagine you could manage 26-2650fps with the 131 which would give solid ballistics. 1000+ yards capable, deer size game 500 and in no problem.

I absolutely hate this thread. I literally am just finishing what I thought would be my last rifle build for quite a while....now, I am thinking about rebarreling a 6.5SS that has to be getting long in the tooth (and throat) with about 800 rounds down the barrel.
You won't do it...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.