Which .224 bullet?

TORCHRIDER

I need your recommendations on .224 bullets to try in my Savage .223 with a 26" 1/7 twist barrel. I will be shooting paper primarily at ranges out to 1000 yards.

I have already decided to try the Berger 90 grain vld's. What others would you recommend?

For no other reason than launch speed, the 75 a max is hard to beat for cost per bc. It might be worth balancing launch speed and b.c. I dunno what the 223 can launch a 90g bullet at, but its gotta be slow.

With a 200 yard zero, 1.5inch sight height

I'd ballpark 2900 for the 75, and 2700 for the 90 as an approximate launch speed. Both will drop around 32 moa, but the berger will drift 2 moa less in a 10mph 90degree crosswind.

That is assuming .435bc for a-max and .552 for berger. A-maxes are 16.99 per hundred at midway, the bergers are 31.99.

Both should be able to cleanely harvest paper at that range. From the stated b.c. the smk's and nosler custom comps dont seem to have near the b.c. to bullet weight ratio as the a-max or berger.

My Savage LRPV .223 1-7" twist prefers the Berger 80 gr. VLD better than the 90's. But each rifle is different. Only good powder is Varget.

The 75 Swift Scirocco may be worth a shot if you may use it to take game at distance.

Otherwise I would try the SMK 77gr, with Varget.

Lots of great choices and everyone will have a "pet" opinion. For just punching paper its hard to beat the 69 or 75 grain Sierra Match King from a cost and accuracy standpoint. For blowing up varmints its hard to beat the V-Max. The Sierra's also work pretty well on small varmints. How far do you intend to shoot? Run the weights and velocity you intend to shoot through a ballistic application, you will find a sweet spot for distance and the heaviest bullets are not always the best especially when you start to lose velocity very quickly. This can be a bit of an eye opener with slower heavier bullets. Nice rifle I have been looking at one!

Anyone have experience with the Swift Scirocco 75 gr on Game? Was hoping to give these a try.

If you can find them, the 80grn amaxes have a .473bc and from a 26" tube you should be able to push them 2850+ with CFE223 or Alliant Varminter.

My Savage LRPV .223 1-7" twist prefers the Berger 80 gr. VLD better than the 90's. But each rifle is different. Only good powder is Varget.

Forgot to add, I am jamming the 80 gr. VLD's .012". Seems to be the sweet spot.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.