Which .224 bullet for long range that can double as a varmint round?

This is a 130gr 6.5 (graffic)
In
Pig in.jpg
Out destroyed the heart on the way through
Pig out.jpg
And yes, that sow had a bone grown over on the left front leg. Through the scope I thought she had a broken leg and put her down. Surprised when we got up to her and saw that. Must have put a foot through some garbage at some point and stuck on there.

Last edited:
These might be worth a try. They mention varmint performance which is cool. Mag compatible.

2018-19 coyote season I killed 54 coyotes and a bobcat with 75gr Amax's. 2019-20 season it was 60 coyotes and 2 bobcats. I have quite a few left and I am not looking forward to running out of them. I shoot them at approximately 3100fps suppressed out of a 7 twist 22" 223AI bolt gun.

2018-19 coyote season I killed 54 coyotes and a bobcat with 75gr Amax's. 2019-20 season it was 60 coyotes and 2 bobcats. I have quite a few left and I am not looking forward to running out of them. I shoot them at approximately 3100fps suppressed out of a 7 twist 22" 223AI bolt gun.
I have both amax and ELDM 75 grainers. Calipers say they are identical. Base to tip. Base to ogive. Tip to ogive behind bearing surface. All within a couple thousandths. Eldm is same but better BC because of the tip.. they both shoot identical group sizes at same speed in my 223 bolt gun although slightly different POI but I see that with different lots of the same bullet anyway. 75amax/eldm are a phenomenal bullet

Looking for opinions on the best 68-75ish grain long range bullet that can also reliably put a coyote down. Primary goal is long range precision (600y - limit where I shoot), secondary goal is dispatching yotes that present an opportunity. Also these will be fired out of an AR so mag length is a consideration.

73 gr eld for mag length and in factory condition. The 75 gr eld you might be able to get to fit in a AR mag, but not really. The 73s were made for ARs. Idk why people are talking about bolt actions.

W/ an 18 inch SPR set up you can push these to 1000y, no problem. At 600 they will have the BC and umph to be deadly. I've tested them against some old mk262, the smk's while heavier don't have the same form factor, which is the same reason you can get them to fit in AR mags but not 75gr ELD's, and the ballistics with the 73s make the mk262 not even competitive.

Last edited:
What rifle and barrel length and twist are you shooting? If at least 9 twist 60 gr Hornady Vmax I have not shot any but the Hornady 73 gr ELD match ought to work.
From my 223 AR 9 twist I have shot a number of ground hogs with the 69 Sierra Match King and it did a number on them. Golf ball size exits. As I have been told the 77 gr Sierra "open tip match" works pretty good on hostiles over in the sandbox. I just got some to give a try in the copy of a DMR with a 18" 8 twist AR that I built.
I use that bullet in DD AR and it shoots averages 1/2 MOA.

Sierra 77MK and SMK have both put coyotes down but all mine have been pass through shots.

I have had golfball and bigger exits on coyotes with the 77gr SMK. They do have half the wind drift of my 53gr VMax and are great on days when it is 15-20mph. Fur buyers don't like the holes, takes a $50 hide to $25.

I am going to set back and chop my 24" Tikka varmint barrel to 20" for a handier calling rifle and chamber it in 223AI. I am running the 75gr ELDM at 3025 fps with H4895 and NAMMO brass suppressed. My son shot it in a team match and had no problem out to 950 yards. He made a first round hit at 1400 the evening before while confirming dope. I have some 80gr ELDM, but the 75s shoot great.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.