Which .223?

esshup

My buddy is in the market for an accurate factory .223 that he will mainly use for P-dogs. He has a wide variety of glass that is available to him, so that's not part of the equasion. His budget for the rifle is right around $1,000, but he might entertain adding another couple of hunderd if the money will be well spent. The only downside that I can see is that he doesn't handload. But, on the other hand, if he sees a big difference in what I can load for his gun and what he buys from the store, he would spend the time at my place rolling his own - that's what he does for his .300 Win Mag.

So with those parameters, what guns should he look at?

Definitely check out the Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter. Savages usually are one of the most accurate factory guns. This is a heavy gun tho, it weighs about 12lbs. stripped, and mine weighs about 16lbs. with glass and bipod. I was definitely impressed with the overall quality of the gun. And the accuracy is amazing (even without breaking in the barrel I have never shot over 1", and with one handload groups are about .2" consisently, with .1s not uncommon) compared to most of the rifles I have seen (by the way, mine is in 22-250 Rem) and there are 2 different twists that you can choose from. It is a stainless gun, with a black h-s precision varmint-style stock. Mine is a single shot, right-bolt left-port, but they make one now with right-bolt right-port and a detatchable box magazine. The trigger is also an amazing crisp 6oz, and don't try telling me this doesn't make it easier to break on target! About $900 to $950 MSRP, probably could find cheaper if you looked tho.gun)

Good luck, and if you want, check out my review on my website, and I'll give you Savage's link too. Tell you buddy "Good Luck.":D

lightbulbMy site: Savage model 12 long range precision

Savage Arms: Savage Arms Model 12 Long Range Precisison Varminter (Repeater)
12RBRPLong_cmyk.jpg

Savage Arms Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter
12PrecVarm.jpg

Last edited:
Couple of thoughts....
#1= Prairie dogs tend to show up in #s so a guy might be better off with a couple of good guns rather than one great gun?
#2= Anybody sean any factory 223 ammo lately??? Or any other for that matter?
The Rugers I started shooting dogs with are alright but a little fickel with what ammo they like. My best factory 223 is an old Savage single shot J action that was pickt up used for a 1/3 of his budget a couple of years ago. A good addition to the arsenal has been a CZ American in 223. Its a lite little gun that behaves well off the bags and is a joy to carry and shoot off hand, cools off as fast as it heats up and is as accurate as most. They make a heavier barrelled unit that might be a better option??
The new Savages are something to behold but when push comes to shuv its still a $279 Stevens with a different stock, trigger and barrel. Either form works as well as the many combinations in between...gotta like the veriety that Savage offers and easy to change as your needs/wants change!!
If money aint a problem the fine people in Montana still build a nice Cooper dispite what thier founder does with his proceeds!!
Basically its the lottery and the more you play the better your chances of winning :D

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think he's leaning pretty heavily towards the Savage. We discussed the custom route, in fact he has a donor rifle, but he thought it a bit much for a dedicated PD gun because he won't get to go maybe once a year. I on the other hand have a Model 70 in 22-250 that will be making the trip to Great Falls, Mt the in January for a bit of work.:D My buddy lives in the city where I am out in the country and can shoot in my "backyard".

I looked at custom rifles before I bought the 12LRPV also (they don't get much better tho). Here's how it would have worked out, but I probably would have babied it too much:rolleyes:. It's still an option tho, thinking about 6 NORMA BR. gun)

Savage target action $400
Hart barrel $600
Sharpshootersupply stock $200-$400

Its so tough to not buy a Stevens at $300. from gunbroker.com. They usually shoot just fine for most. If not, replace the barrel with a pre-setup and ready to shoot $269. one holing McGowen barrel.

I have taken a number of $400. Savage target actions, put a Barrel on, slap a stock on and I am shooting little bitty shoot with anyone groups for the price you quote.

I have several of Fred's triggers from Sharp SHooters Supply. They are very nice but would not swap out my target Accu-trigger for one. Have been great triggers for switching my Strikers to rear grip though!
Neal

I have a Stevens 200 in .223 I picked up for $200. I ended up putting a Bell and Carlson Duramax stock on it( a little work but worth the $90), cut and recrowned a factory Savage varmint barrel to 20" and put a Sharp Shooter trigger in it. That's one of the best shooting guns I have. I think I've got around $450 in it without the glass.

If it were me I would buy a Savage 12FV and put a better stock on it. You can't go wrong with any of the Savages. That's my .02 cents.

I really like my Rock River Varminter. I have shot a buch of 1 inch groups at 300 yards with Black Hills factory ammo(50 grain V-Max). This is one great varmint rifle. And would be great for faster shooting in the prarie dog fields. Tom.

IMG_0507.jpg

Last edited:
i have a ruger varmint barrel 223 and i reload i would take about half the money he wants
to spend and buy some reloading stuff before we cant get anything my ruger was 550.00
but that was a few years back. good luck
larry

Stevens are a very good value.

My factory stevens 223 with handloads, bedded action and slight stock mods shot .4 at 100.

Th stock is pretty chinsy. But it is double pillared.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts