Which $1000 Action

timmymic

Looking at a new build and wondering what action to go with. By budget is $1000 for the action, so far I have looked at the Shilen DGR and the ARC Nucleus. Does anyone have experience with either or are there others in this budget I should be looking at? I already have a proof barrel in 6.5 PRC with Savage threads so it will need to be one like the above two that accepts the savage threads.

A Bighorn Origin fits your budget and accepts Savage threads.

I have read several accounts of the Nucleus not working correctly. I'm not sure if it is a design issue or an assembly issue. There seem to be a lot of people screwing their own stuff together these days.

Seems you put the cart before the horse by buying a savage threaded barrel. Limits your options. Take a broader look at other actions and you may find one that will make you sell the savage barrel. The Curits Axiom is one I'm considering at the moment. Also, Gunwerks has some pretty good sales on their budget actions. I have no recommendations for a savage threaded action as I don't look for them.

The Bighorn TL3 or SR3 are both awesome actions. I have friends who own them both. The Origin is the less expensive version and all 3 will accept Savage threads. I personally like Defiance actions and they are now making the Tenacity which is a lower cost action at $885 but I don't believe they make one thats compatible with Savage threads.

Savage action...then spend the remaining money on ammo/bullets/powder.

I've only worked on one savage action and when it was all trued up and smoothed over, it felt really good. About 3/4 the way to a custom action. Shoots bug holes too.

I would do a Bighorn although it would exceed your budget. I think you're getting great advice on just getting a savage action and using the rest of the money on optics or something else. All my Savages (7) shoot lights out and if you get the new accufit savage you'll get a good stock along with a great action. Good luck with whatever way you go.

I would do a Bighorn although it would exceed your budget. I think you're getting great advice on just getting a savage action and using the rest of the money on optics or something else. All my Savages (7) shoot lights out and if you get the new accufit savage you'll get a good stock along with a great action. Good luck with whatever way you go.
The Origin is under $900.

A Bighorn Origin fits your budget and accepts Savage threads.

I have read several accounts of the Nucleus not working correctly. I'm not sure if it is a design issue or an assembly issue. There seem to be a lot of people screwing their own stuff together these days.

I'll have more insight when I receive my Nucleus next week but from what I've seen the issue doesn't affect the performance per say. It appears that in some builds the action is more push feed with controlled round extraction but it doesn't seem to be causing any malfunctions when running the action. So far of the people that have the issues it hasn't quite been pinned down what is causing it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.