Wheres the reloading article?

WEATHERBY460

Please link me to the post that had someone find a quick way to get the reloads from working to max, then backing off...thanks

or subtract 2%, Kirby's rifles are in the neighborhood of 100gr of powder. I tried it with my 270 and 243 subtracting 2% and the loads ended up pretty close to listed book max, interestingly though is that the shot pretty well. 1/2" right away for the 243 and 3/4" for the 270, this was at 100yrds though. I never put either on paper past that, just went strait to shooting gongs but they both rang em out to 400 so I figured that answered my question about it.

Sub 50 grain burn I go up 1/2 to 1 grain unless I'm below start(ie. mil-surp stuff that there is no data for) then I'm rather coarse at 2 grains or so. Bigger stuff, like my 300 rum gets the same treatment, but to scale. I'll work at 1 grain steps close to top, but two or three grain steps IF I KNOW I'm cream-puffing it. An example is the 225 hornady load I developed for my 300 rum a few months back. I started about 15 grains down from where I thought top would be with rl50. Alliant doesn't do data for anything below 50 cal for rl50, so what I was doing was based on similar burn powders. Don't play with mil- surp or powders without data for your round/ limited data until you have a firm grasp on fundamentals( and a good pair of rubber undies).

Sub 50 grain burn I go up 1/2 to 1 grain unless I'm below start(ie. mil-surp stuff that there is no data for) then I'm rather coarse at 2 grains or so. Bigger stuff, like my 300 rum gets the same treatment, but to scale. I'll work at 1 grain steps close to top, but two or three grain steps IF I KNOW I'm cream-puffing it. An example is the 225 hornady load I developed for my 300 rum a few months back. I started about 15 grains down from where I thought top would be with rl50. Alliant doesn't do data for anything below 50 cal for rl50, so what I was doing was based on similar burn powders. Don't play with mil- surp or powders without data for your round/ limited data until you have a firm grasp on fundamentals( and a good pair of rubber undies).
+1 too true especially on the firm grasp of fundamentals!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.