Where's the powder?

Cabela's near me hasn't received anything much in months. The other sporting goods places either. I don't see anything advertised online.
Most places, at least the larger retailers are getting powder but with so many people desperate for it, they can't keep it on the shelves.

Who knows just how much is sitting around out there in containers on boats that can't get unloaded?

If I haven't learned anything else over the years since I started reloading is that once panic buying begins over short supplies you just have to be real patient before things get back to normal and buy what you can when you can.

I just picked up a pound of A2460 (possibly made by General Dynamics, St. Marks FL) that I plan to use in .20P & .223 at Scheels, in Missoula. I was real happy to get a pound of powder that will produce 250 plus rounds for the .20P or .223 without paying an additional $25 or so for hazmat & shipping. The current component emergency has me using combos that I never used before. I expect the A2460 will be sold out within 1 day. Maybe, I should get a .50 BMG because there are large stocks of powder for that caliber.

Cabela's near me hasn't received anything much in months. The other sporting goods places either. I don't see anything advertised online.
Yeah, something is up that can't be attributed to hoarding. I've been watching for H4350 for 6 months and none of the 10 places I check regularly have received any. In order for people to hoard, there needs to be some supply. I am a supply chain management professional with intimate knowledge of manufacturing and operations controls, and my Spidey senses are tingling.

The only thing I can think of is that the main producers have retooled to make only certain powders or that they're only distributing to the store level and not fulfilling orders to online warehouses and distribution centres.

For months I have monitored the "usual suspects" websites daily if I am looking for a specific powder. When lucky, two have shown up as available, so I can amortize the shipping and hazmat fees over more pounds. I used to get mostly one-pounders but 8 lb, jugs are more attractive now due to supply issues and the fees which are per order, not prorated by the pound,

Depends on what you call hoarding. I have six 8lb jugs of Varget and 16lbs of H4350 and three jugs of pistol powder. The Varget I bought ten years ago when this same thing happened. It took almost three years before my backorder was filled. I just traded two jugs of Varget to get the 16lbs of H4350. I am also sitting on 20000 rifle primers and 24000 pistol primers from the same backorder. Decided I did not want it happening to me again where I would be short. So this time around I am still set from the last go around. Hoarder or smart - you call it.
That's enough to make, like, 8300 rounds for a 30-06. A bit excessive, IMO, but to each unto their own. I only shoot max 200 rounds a year, so that would set me up until I was in my 80's.

"Looks like Natchez has imr 4350 , they are closed today so my opening an account won't go through.
It will let you put 5 ,1 lb cans in cart for one hazmat fee.
Someone with an account might be able to get some , but who knows what it will tell you at checkout.

Tried not to be a pig, only bought 6 pounds today. Could've bought ten or more.

7747433A-7DC0-4251-B50A-3745869C1F19.jpeg

78EC607E-0F35-4EBF-8F1C-15FE756C7A20.jpeg