Where to start?

bradthemarine

I'm beginning the planning phase of my first DIY antelope hunt which will be in 21 or 22. My first thought was to look at Wyoming but I'm a little worried about drawing (with 1 point or less) in a unit with decent public access. I read an article or post also recommending Montana as an easy rifle draw with plenty of public access. Should I focus some effort there? Any and all advice will be appreciated as this will be my first hunt out west. Thanks for your time.

Tags aren't easy to draw. My advice is be patient and put in lots of applications. If you draw more than one state, most will let you turn in a tag you can't hunt.

if you are worried about access then you need to visit the places you want to apply. OnX can give you a decent idea of access, but nothing substitutes taking a trip and driving some roads. If you want public land, Nevada has lots of it.

be mobile when you hunt. It is nice to be able to cover a lot of ground without too much effort, especially if you aren't seeing anything. It is hot and dry here during antelope season and they aren't limited to the flats. If you aren't used to hiking in the heat, I would practice that too.

My first hunt for antelope was 1970. I contacted local county chamber of commerce (Wyoming Campbell county) to inquire about private ranchers that allow hunting in my chosen areas. They were helpful and sent me a list. Most ranchers required a modest trespass fee and the grazing coupon on my license. Hooked up with an old rancher on several thousand acres. Trespass fee was $50 which gave me a campsite, running water, and a guided tour of property boundaries. Second week of the season so we were the only hunters. Even got to use the ranch 4x4 flatbed to pickup game. Wonderfull experience. Shot a 14" old buck the first day out. Added a doe the next day. Next year did the same in a different area. Same results. I found the ranchers very accommodating and friendly. Hunted public land the next year for mule deer. Also a great hunt. Do your homework and prepare well. Good hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.