Where to start with suppressors?

jacob_strass

Wanting to buy a suppressor but honestly a little lost on how to even go about getting one. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Also suggestions on what suppressor I should get would be helpful as well. Mainly for hunting but could be doing some target shooting as well. Everything I'll be shooting is 30 cal and under and want something that's not super heavy or long. Any help is appreciated!

Wanting to buy a suppressor but honestly a little lost on how to even go about getting one. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Also suggestions on what suppressor I should get would be helpful as well. Mainly for hunting but could be doing some target shooting as well. Everything I'll be shooting is 30 cal and under and want something that's not super heavy or long. Any help is appreciated!
Find your local class III and they should be able to help you. They should have a variety in stock, as well as assist in the application process.

SilencerCO has a lot of Kiosks setup at Gun Stores. We went with a "TRUST" that way you can have your wife, sons, daughters anyone else names put on it (as long as they pass a background) This will probably be your easiest way of purchasing a Suppressor. Get a 30cal with a QD and then extra muzzle attachments so you can use on other rifles (7mm, 6.5, 6mm)

Check out Silencer Shop
Easiest most straightforward method to get a suppressor in my experience.
My advice is don't go short you're going to give up a lot of suppression with a can under 7"
Check out the Nomad LT

I recommend contacting the Silencer Shop as well for a first timer. They have a wealth of knowledge and usually pretty friendly towards helping you get what you need. They can also set you up with a local FFL/SOT to take delivery.

Yeah it definitely sounds like a QD system is the way to go. But both the nomad LT and the dominus cb are out of stock right now. I wish I could just order one because by the time everything goes through with the tax stamp it should be ready to ship to me I would think.

As stated above. The silencerco kiosk is the way to go in our area. I think a trust is the way to go. I think getting a good 22 (not a fan of aluminum) with a more universal can the first go around. I'm looking hard at the Harvester 46 next.

My advice is for hunting get a titanium can for lightness. Go to Thunderbeast web site and read on there site how to buy a suppressor. Once you figure out what suppressor you want, buy it and have sent to a dealer that has a kiosk by going to silencer shop web site and find one nearest to you. They then will walk you thru the rest. It really is not hard. Just takes some thought and research on which one you want.

first and foremost, set your budget, make sure that includes the $200 to that for the stamp.

second, find a shop in your area/state and go get touchy feely, be sure and ask them if silencer co will be doing a…. demo for the lack of better terms. i went to one (no shooting) and the rep was really helpful.

third get a trust set up, makes things easier on the back end if anything happens to you

once all that is done, then go purchase it.

after purchase, forget about it till your dealer calls you for pick up (best advice i've gotten with NFA items)

few other points-

go titanium. i did this with my latest can and let me tell you, 6" 1.75 OD can is about a 1/2 pound lighter than my 6" 1.5 OD can

don't get too caught up with one suppressor shooting at 136 DB and another at 138DB. there is reputable folks out there. i chose not to go main stream and with with a smaller company out of South Carolina and i've been happy with it. my last 2 are Form 1 cans

i prefer direct thread mounts, if you plan on keeping your suppressor to one or 2 rifles, that's the way i would go. if not, there is a lot of options as well.

there is no suppressor that is a do all be all amd still suppress the best. there is trade offs.

lastly, you think you'll just buy one lol. i told myself i would only get one, now i have 3 and looking at adding another one this year

Looks like you're from Wisconsin! If you are near Madison-ish, you are welcome to try my Silencerco Omega..

Like stated above, I'm going to recommend the silencer shop kiosk. My dad used it at 65yrs old w/ no issues.
As for what to get..... just do your homework, read reviews, and if you have friends/acquaintances that have cans, ask them to try it. I offer ppl to shoot my can all the time.

I landed on a YHM phantom in 30 cal QD as my LGS had them on clearance.
Soo for 399 +stamp, I got the bug. I sacrificed weight (all steel) for up front $$, but my YHM outperforms alot of other makers I have seen/tried. I also enjoy the QD style, just buy an additional muzzle device and you're ready to rock. I currently running my can on 8 different guns. And I'm also currently 9months plus into 2 more cans

Attachments

• 20201112_114334.jpg
    20201112_114334.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 48