Where to start putting in for tags?

Timnterra

I just had the realization that if I don't start applying for tags for the hunts I day dream about going on I will never get to go on any of them. Sheep hunting is a dream of mine and it seems that a tag is at least a 20 year wait. I don't know anything about where to put in for or if I can just buy preference points or do I have to enter the draw every year? Those of you that have been on successful sheep hunts what did you do and where should I start? I don't have the funds to go on a sheep hunt now, but I figured I better start applying so that in 20years I can go.

According to my LGS , there is a magazine that you can subscribe to that will tell you where and when to apply for tags all over the U.S.

Maybe someone here can provide the name or contact info for the magazine.

Epic outdoors...subscribe and put in for every available state. I am mid-40s and have been putting in for about 12 years...wish I had stated 15 years before that... get you a interest free credit card and get ready to wait--every season I put about 12k on the card...I get most back--but it cost a few coins to put in for hunts...id save up and do a Dall sheep..also join the wild sheep foundation less than one club...it will help if you dream of sheep.

The sad reality is, if you are older than about 10, you're already behind the 8 ball as far as drawing a good sheep tag. Definitely put in for as many states as you can afford, but also start saving for a Dall hunt, it's your only guarantee.

I don't know if 20 years will be enough to draw. I have been putting in for 42 years as a Mt resident and still waiting...
You can hunt here in the unlimited areas but the success rate is very low.
Alberta and Mexico you don't have to draw but the price is very high.
But you can't win if you don't enter

If you got the coin, you can get a guided hunt in Canada every year. Just something to think about.

idcwby

How much money do you have? What kind of sheep are you wanting? If you just want to be a sheep hunter stone and dall sheep up in Canadia and Alaska just take money. You have to hire a guide to hunt sheep in AK. You can kill Audad in Texas for a fee too. After that look into states that have point systems and start investing in points now, in 25 or 30 years you may have enough to stand a chance at drawing a tag.

Not to be negative about the whole thing but you would be so far behind in all states with points. Idaho has no points system, probably your best chance, Nevada you statistically have a chance to draw a hunt with no points but your odds will be really bad. Look for states that give random draw tags because like I said earlier you will never catch the top points states. I drew an elk tag in Nevada with 2 points that most guys won't ever draw, I think I had 0.3% draw odds.

It sounds like sheep hunting has only two options 1. pay to play, or 2. be incredibly lucky. Seems more reasonable to just save money for a guided hunt than continuously paying application fees for hunts with ridiculous odds.

Don't get discouraged though...you can still book a good Dall hunt less than 20k with a bush flight..with some good saving practices 6-10 years and you are there...go to GSOC or WIld sheep show...mingle and see what turns up. I drew my desert--so it can be done. If I could draw a Rocky...I would look into a fannin--but until then I will enjoy other endeavors. I did a mid Asian ibex this year, looking at a Mid-Caucas tur next year...lots of options to get you in the mountains.

There's always Mouflon in Hawaii too. Which you can do goats and pigs usually at the same time.

idcwby

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.