Where to start 35 SAUM

I don't see how you won't need a reamer. If you rebore your 300 barrel to 358 you will not have a neck in the chamber. Someone would have to be able to get your barrel perfect in the lathe and cut a neck with a boring bar. Not the easiest task to pull off correctly. Then you need to run a throater in it. Just get the reamer then when you want a new barrel you have it. If your smith has a whelen reamer you can use it to punch in the neck and throat. Just some thoughts on what you said. 35 saum sounds nice. Personally I like the 338 fed. Over achiever of a round but won't fit your bolt face.
Shep

try Whidden gun works they have made me many different wildcat dies. if your only necking up to 35 cal. they might be able to just hone the neck out to 35 cal. without the wait for custom. my custom dies have been 10-16 weeks
How do you hone out the neck? Use a reamer? I'll have to check with the rebore guy and see if they can modify a die as well

Redding dies is currently shut down due to C-19. They are in NY. They said they hope to get back but anticipate minimum 12 month back log. Whidden did say they are up and running and should be able to do it in 10-14 weeks for $299.

I bet Rich Sherman would have sherman short /short tactical dies reamer and brass in stock. Just have to decide if you are sticking with 35 cal or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts