Where to start 35 SAUM

wildwilderness

I have been contemplating my first wildcat, a 35 SAUM (300 necked up). For those who know where do you start load development?

I am planning two loads- a 200 gr TTSX, and a heavy 275 gr Woodleigh PP. based on case capacity it looks to be similar to the 350 Rem Mag, and the 35 Whelen. Can I sort of base it off those loads? How will I find the"best" powder? (I see info on the 35 wsm/Sambar but the case is bigger, but is it close enough?)

Before I "pull the trigger" I want to make sure all will go well. For dies I plan to send fired brass to C4d. Any other suggestions? I have the donor Rem M7 in 300 SAUM.....

DF9BC708-44D6-4D56-B020-8EB322DB5839.jpeg

Being you have a 75-76gr case and 35 Whelen ackley is 76, and standard Whelen is 71, I'd find lod data for either and either adjust down a few gr from the AI, or add a few gr to the regular Whelen. Fast powders will be your friend, varget, imr 4350, maybe even faster idk.

Sambar not be a better move? Larger case and more potential? I run a 35 Whelen, gain twist 1:12 barrel 24" and easily get over 2800 fps with 225 grain bullets, 2700 fps with 250 grain bullets.

Sounds like a fun project ----- BUT why ? Would make sense if you have a shot out 300 SAUM to get it rebored.

Otherwise a 35 Whelen will kill anything as dead an have some resale value. A 200 gr TSX @2800 will put down anything in NA.

We looked and played with the 200 TSX but the 225 holds out there longer and hits harder as soon as you pass 200 yards, current loads have the 225 partition and accubond over 2800 fps, they are the bomb! the penetration is amazing. And the weight retention and expansion is spot on.

Attachments

• 20200423_122912[1].jpg
    20200423_122912[1].jpg
    656.1 KB · Views: 196
Sambar not be a better move? Larger case and more potential? I run a 35 Whelen, gain twist 1:12 barrel 24" and easily get over 2800 fps with 225 grain bullets, 2700 fps with 250 grain bullets.

A Sambar would have better performance- BUT here is my thought- I have a 300 wsm in a model 700 SA. The WSM really needs at least an extended mag 2.95 oal, or more to reach its potential. I want a short compact rifle and the Model 7 fits that perfectly. the mag is 2.8" max . Another issue I have with the WSM- it doesnt feed well my Rem 700, so the SAUM case is made by Rem to feed through a REM, so that's why I decided on the 35 SAUM.

Sounds like a fun project ----- BUT why ? Would make sense if you have a shot out 300 SAUM to get it rebored.

Otherwise a 35 Whelen will kill anything as dead an have some resale value. A 200 gr TSX @2800 will put down anything in NA.

I had a 35 Whelen- thus the available bullets! The reason is I want a short compact rifle. The model 7 nice, plus I want a short barrel- 18-20" so the short mags have better performance. My 35 Whelen never really shot perfectly, and had headspace issues (with factory Rem and reload Hornady so maybe a brass issue) that multiple gunsmiths could not figure out. so that rifle is in the process of being turned into a 9.3x62 (so I have no need for a 35 whelen).

As to resale- I have never sold a rifle and don't plan to!! I have 3 kids and multiple family members nieces and nephews that I want to get into shooting so I just give them away if I don't want them anymore.

Last edited:
I had a 35 Whelen- thus the available bullets! The reason is I want a short compact rifle. The model 7 nice, plus I want a short barrel- 18-20" so the short mags have better performance. My 35 Whelen never really shot perfectly, and had headspace issues (with factory Rem and reload Hornady so maybe a brass issue) that multiple gunsmiths could not figure out. so that rifle is in the process of being turned into a 9.3x62 (so I have no need for a 35 whelen).

As to resale- I have never sold a rifle and don't plan to!! I have 3 kids and multiple family members nieces and nephews that I want to get into shooting so I just give them away if I don't want them anymore.

The 35 Whelen and family really don't have a lot of shoulder to headspace from. I guess I'm lucky with my Ruger in Whelen, as I've never had the issue at all. If I had to hazard a guess it was never really one thing (but two or three)with your Remington and that's why it was never figured out. A couple different issues at once and it can sometimes be best to strip her down to bare action and start over. I did that with my 7stw; the only thing left from the last iteration is the action itself- even the firing pin assembly and trigger have been replaced.

I have been contemplating my first wildcat, a 35 SAUM (300 necked up). For those who know where do you start load development?

I am planning two loads- a 200 gr TTSX, and a heavy 275 gr Woodleigh PP. based on case capacity it looks to be similar to the 350 Rem Mag, and the 35 Whelen. Can I sort of base it off those loads? How will I find the"best" powder? (I see info on the 35 wsm/Sambar but the case is bigger, but is it close enough?)

Before I "pull the trigger" I want to make sure all will go well. For dies I plan to send fired brass to C4d. Any other suggestions? I have the donor Rem M7 in 300 SAUM.....

View attachment 189535

Had you though about just using the 350 Rem Mag ? everything is available and If you don't like the belt, after the first firing you can size to avoid the belt. another option would be the 338 RCM for a parent case that wouldn't need the neck expanded very much.( .020) as apposed to .050 thousandths.

Not trying to talk you out of using the 300 SAUM case, but maybe saving you some trouble :)

J E CUSTOM

Ahh, I member my wildcat days...I spent hours making ammo that looked cool and I could not do anything with it if I didn't use it...and if I ever sold the rifle --I might as well scrapped it, but I learned a lot about reloading...now when I look at a cool wildcat...I say...man that would be fun...and go shoot my 223 and be happy. JE custom is right...check the 350 rem mag, easy to do...also that little 338 RCM is a killer...I have 2--and they work.

I love the 35 cal. I necked down the 375 CT to 358 and designed my own machined bullets. I felt it had more velocity that the 375 but not too overbore like the 338. I'm working on 358 lapua next.

I'm happy to send some bullets to try but they need a 10 twist +/- as the bullet is almost 2" and weights 320 grains.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.