Where to level?!

Another simple way to do
It is just mount the scope in the rings and have the rings on a known flat surface. Not attached to the rifle. I'll typically put a small bubble on the top of the elevation turret, level the scope, torque rings, install on your rifle

Another simple way to do
It is just mount the scope in the rings and have the rings on a known flat surface. Not attached to the rifle. I'll typically put a small bubble on the top of the elevation turret, level the scope, torque rings, install on your rifle
What's missing in this is the actual aimpoint.
Seriously, who cares if the turret is square to rings?

What's missing in this is the actual aimpoint.
Seriously, who cares if the turret is square to rings?

I do.

veritcal is vertical .doesn't matter what your target is doing. I check for level before I take a shot. If it's not I make a slight adjustment and them send it

some will argue that the scope needs to be adjusted to vertical in the rings while you have it shouldered so whenever you shoulder it, its "level". My personal experience on that is depending on what your wearing, or the position you're shootings from etc, that position is probably not always going to be the same, adjustments will have to be made regardless so I just make sure that my rifle and optic are mounted square to each other and before a shot if I'm not vertical, I make the adjustment and go.

here's one way to do it. I just have level slab of granite I do Mine on.

Last edited:
Maybe this will help with understanding alignment (leveling)?
Your pictures at post #42 show what happens under various conditions -without compensation.
But each disparity is resolved with a setting of scope elevation as plumb, and zeroing of horizontal for offset.
The center of all this is the functional/plumb aimpoint (just forget the gun or barrel under it).
Think simple.