Where to hunt Black Bears in US next Spring?

WEATHERBY460

Would like to book a black bear hunt for next spring. Of course I want to shoot one that's big and do a full body mount. Where do you recommend I go? Thanks

Checkout Oregon chrome Guide Service...southwestern Oregon...theres a lot of bears there...access to private lands which means no competition....cant recall when spring bear starts but you could mix it with a river steelhead trip and or river striper trip....
And the guides dad has been doing taxidermy nearly 30-35 years....
He's done hundreds of bears....and ya ought to see the deer and elk antlers hanging that clients are getting mounted...theres some huge local blacktail and Roosevelt elk.....

Would like to book a black bear hunt for next spring. Of course I want to shoot one that's big and do a full body mount. Where do you recommend I go? Thanks
My suggestion would NOT be in US, but in Canada—generally they're much bigger. I would recommend British Columbia or Alberta. Years ago I went hunting them with a muzzle loader in northern Alberta where the year before there were no roads. Roads had been cut in by the oil shale industry so most animals had never seen human beings. These usually are bait hunts, but not easy ones. I was lucky and took a record book one weighing over 600# and measuring over 8.5 ft square. It required a grizzly form to mount. It was one of the best/most exciting hunts I've taken. But be careful of younger males—they can be aggressive and may climb up the tree to see what you are or to try to get you. I had two I almost had to shoot point blank as they tried to get into the tree stand with me. After the second time I carried rocks in my back pack to discourage them . Attached is my bear.

Attachments

• 3E1C0DA6-98BE-42BF-84B6-6D268A2E340D.jpeg
    3E1C0DA6-98BE-42BF-84B6-6D268A2E340D.jpeg
    642 KB · Views: 142
  • 44B97534-0B31-4B95-8CBE-F319DE303099.jpeg
    44B97534-0B31-4B95-8CBE-F319DE303099.jpeg
    678 KB · Views: 135
Two of the 5 largest black bears taken in the U.S. were taken in Pennsylvania. The second largest black bear ever taken was in Northern California in Mendocino County.
Some huge black bear have come from San Bernardino Nat. Forest in So Cal. some 500 to 600 lb. I grew up there. I know a bear guide there but they shut down hound hunting few years ago. He has taken some huge bear. I'd pick Id., Wa., Ak. or Pen.. Pen gets some monsters .