Where to get rifle building knowledge?

QQQQQ

Looking for help/knowledge/advice from all you intelligent gun Smith's out there. So backstory first, about 4 years ago I got parts and pieces together for my first semi-custom rifle build. I had a blast researching and finding parts for my build and then took everything to the smith. I was so excited to get it back but it was actually anti climatic. Don't get me wrong I love the gun but my favorite time was researching and finding parts. Skip to today, I'm dying to do it again. But I would love to be able to do it all myself and have been looking into pre fit barrels and what not so a mill is not needed.

So my question is where does a guy learn this knowledge of rifle building? Unfortunately I cannot go to a gunsmith school to support my hobby, so is this something I can learn from somewhere? Or am I just stuck wishing and wanting? Is there any online training available?

Thanks for any help or advice

If you are going to assemble parts a local mentor would be good. If you want to learn more look up Gordy Gritters. He has one week classes and videos.

Thanks for the reply. I would love to find a mentor. I am just curious if anyone would be willing? Or if they look at that as a threat to their lively hood? I will look up up Gordy, thanks for the suggestion.

Take a look at the class details for the TSJC summer NRA class "Barreling Precision Rifles" during the week of July 6-10. Toward the bottom of the description is a list of tools and supplies needed.

Take a look at the class details for the TSJC summer NRA class "Barreling Precision Rifles" during the week of July 6-10. Toward the bottom of the description is a list of tools and supplies needed.
That would be an awesome experience. Unfortunately I cannot travel out of state for a week of schooling. Now if there was something in Idaho it may be more feasible. Hence my problem/dilemma of actually obtaining this knowledge. Thank you though

No, like I said I had a rifle put together once and a desire to learn the process has about consumed me to want to learn how to do it myself, If possible within reason. I have seen and read a few articles about the possibility of being able to put a rifle together without a lathe and it gave me hope that this may be a possibility for me.

I am starting at the bottom of the barrel so to say. If it is something that can't be done for me so be it. That's why I started this thread to get advice. If it's a pipe dream, shoot me straight and let me know.

No, like I said I had a rifle put together once and a desire to learn the process has about consumed me to want to learn how to do it myself, If possible within reason. I have seen and read a few articles about the possibility of being able to put a rifle together without a lathe and it gave me hope that this may be a possibility for me.

I am starting at the bottom of the barrel so to say. If it is something that can't be done for me so be it. That's why I started this thread to get advice. If it's a pipe dream, shoot me straight and let me know.

YouTube is your friend, take advantage of it and decipher what is applicable for your level and intended purpose. Plenty of DIY stuff/starter projects. Good luck!

Looking for help/knowledge/advice from all you intelligent gun Smith's out there. So backstory first, about 4 years ago I got parts and pieces together for my first semi-custom rifle build. I had a blast researching and finding parts for my build and then took everything to the smith. I was so excited to get it back but it was actually anti climatic. Don't get me wrong I love the gun but my favorite time was researching and finding parts. Skip to today, I'm dying to do it again. But I would love to be able to do it all myself and have been looking into pre fit barrels and what not so a mill is not needed.

So my question is where does a guy learn this knowledge of rifle building? Unfortunately I cannot go to a gunsmith school to support my hobby, so is this something I can learn from somewhere? Or am I just stuck wishing and wanting? Is there any online training available?

Thanks for any help or advice

I would recommend a good book to start with like the one Manson reamers sells from John Hinnant.

Without a mentor or formal training, be prepared to learn the hard way and make mistakes.

If your project goes out of spec, don't use it for anything but training and you will be ok.

I would recommend getting a metal lathe that Is large enough to do smithing and some practice steel to perfect the threading and chambering process if you want to do your own smithing.

Buying a pre threaded and chambered barrel will not teach you how to smith, just to assemble.

Also be prepared to spend many years learning the trade.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I would recommend a good book to start with like the one Manson reamers sells from John Hinnant.

Without a mentor or formal training, be prepared to learn the hard way and make mistakes.

If your project goes out of spec, dount use it for anything but training and you will be ok.

I would recommend getting a metal lathe that Is large enough to do smithing and some practice steel to perfect the threading and chambering process if you want to do your own smithing.

Buying a pre threaded and chambered barrel will not teach you how to smith, just to assemble.

Also be prepared to spend many years learning the trade.

J E CUSTOM
JE custom, I was hoping you would see this and reply. I've seen allot of your comments and posts and enjoyed what you have to say. I understand assembling parts does not make you a smith, a lathe is not feasible at this time but that may change in the future. I was just trying to start somewhere and I thought assembling pre fit parts was a good place. Thank you for your input. Just for future reference what type, size, brand, etc. of a lathe would be good to start with?

I attended (and graduated) from a 2yr gunsmithing program (MCC Class of '93) then enrolled for another 2 semesters as an 'auditing' student. 'Auditing' gave me access to all the gunsmithing dept and more knowledge and guidance from the instructors. Through all of that, "assembling parts" was not part of the curriculum. Machining skills and hand work, that was what was taught (and how to work your way through the 'problems'). We did assemble some parts,,,,, hand fitted parts (assemble the mechanism. does it work? take it apart and address (at the most basic level with hand tools, files & stones) the parts that won't allow it to function. assemble and test again, until it works as intended). What you are describing is essentially putting together a 'kit', where everything just 'fits' together without much (or any!) alteration. Try an AR15.

I share your dream Quade, unfortunately like you it's not in the cards for me to go through formal schooling or buy expensive machinery at this time. I've built many AR's from stripped receivers and enjoy doing that very much, but I'm honest enough to understand that puts me nowhere near the realm of a gunsmith, as stated above it just means I can assemble parts.

Now that we've established that I'm an "assembler" level gun enthusiast, I still think you can really enjoy putting your own rifle together and I'm in the process of doing that with my first bolt action gun right now. Just received my action and trigger, next part will be an XLR chassis here in another month or 2, then a proof barrel that I will send off to a smith for finishing. I'll assemble it all when ready and imagine I'll enjoy the process as much as I enjoy "building" AR's and someday, maybe, I can start to dabble in true gunsmithing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.