Where to find info on 50 BMG loaded ammo?

rost495

HI All

Hope this is close enough to the right place.

I did something dumb and bought an Armalite AR50.

I don't have the bucks for high dollar scopes and a new press/dies etc... at this time.

I don't want to buy the expensive loaded ammo right now so I figure to start with something decent to shoot and that I'd get some brass from would be fine.

I shot some remanuf. AP stuff years back that was great.

I don't see any of it nowdays. Mostly tracer and some ball stuff out there. Problem is we are in a drought and tracer, while fun, would not be good here.

Where should I look for reasonable ammo thats decent enough to shoot? Is the 630ish(??) grain range ball ammo safe and good enough for now?

Thanks for any info.

Jeff

Rost495,

Go to http://www.ttiarmory.com/Store/ and they offer a decent selection of new match grade 50 BMG ammo. May be more then you want to pay for plinking ammo but this is good stuff. New, clean, top grade bullets and no fear of corrosive primers either. Basically as good as most handloaded ammo but not taylored to your rifle.

Probably the best buy for the money would be here: http://www.tbirdammo.com/50cal.htm

The remanufactored 660 gr or M33 ball ammo is what I would look at for a plinking round. Again, good clean fresh ammo but not what I would call Match grade. Will smack the hell out of rocks though!!! For $1.95 per round, very hard to beat for practice ammo.

I can not load same quality ammo for much less then this.

These are the two places I am personally aware of. Good ammo, clean, fresh, non corrosive. I would not shoot bulk surplus ammo in your rifle. To great a risk with bad ammo out there. You may be able to find some cheaper but you run the risk of bad ammo that can at times damage your rifle.

TO be honest, you REALLY need to save up and get some loading equipment. Does not cost as much as you would think if you get the Hornady or RCBS kits and even with those lower priced kits, your handloaded ammo will be much more accurate then any mass produced ammo.

I would not mind at all loading you some to your specs but just do not have the time anymore to do that for customers.

If you get into handloading let me know and I can get you all the data I have. One thing you will find with the AR-50 is that the throats are generally VERY long. Mine was and so were several others I have loaded for. About 1/2" longer throat then I like to see but with handloads they generally shoot extremely well still. Hell, even with standard ammo they generally shoot pretty darn well.

Good luck.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby

Thanks I"ll check out the links. Needed good info!!

I will load at some point. This was just an out of the blue purchase on a whim due to coming elections, price increases etc... so don't have the funding set aside and had to kinda squirm real good to "afford" this one. Had other things to get done but you know how it is.

I"ll get the loading stuff and give you a shout later on. IN the meantime I hate to have the gun and not shoot it a few times. So on goes a Super Sniper and some ball ammo.

Jeff

You will have fun!!!

Charge $2.50 a pop to the locals and she will pay for herself pretty quick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don;t know if you have ever fired a 50 cal but if not you will be smiling uncontrolably for a while. Tell your wife or significant other or they may think you have something going on on the side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Make sure you wear double ear protection with the AR-50. Easiest shooting 50 cal I have ever shot for its weight range but loudest as well!! Keep onlookers well behind you and only behind you, out to the sides is flat out brutal with this rifle!!!

Shooting prone though its a hell of a sight from behind. She will flatten the grass for 20 yards on both sides of you!!!

Have fun, keep us posted on how she shoots!!

Get ahold of the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association at www.fcsa.com

May be .org, not sure, search under Fifty cal shooters association and it will come up. More information for members then you could ever ask for. The book you get with all the companies supplying 50 cal products is worth the member dues all by itself.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby

Good thing is the wife has shot a lot of competition with me and has shot a Barrett 99 before and was grins after it too.

What is the tylenol in the ARmalite bag for?...

Can I bend the cheekpiece on the AR50 so that my head is in line with the bore?

Quit playing with a wildcat 50 round. I'll end up spending more money somehow..... Well at some time maybe. I suspect a while with this barrel will be fun and still have to get the Alaska trip paid off and the used motor on the boat and running agian......

Thanks for all the help.

Jeff

I am not sure if the cheek piece will bend or not. I have found with the Armalite rifles its better to get really high rings and then adjust your cheek piece to the scope height.

Works much better then tring to get the scope low on the reciever and trying to get lined up correctly with the scope.

Only one thing to rememeber, the higher your scope, the harder the recoil is on it, the SSniper is pretty stout and should take it well from what I have seen.

This has helped me and some of my customers get a more comfortable alignment behind the scope on these rifles. Looks odd unless you have a big scope but it does help get your head in position better.

GOod Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Had the High rings from Badger from another issue and will deal with them and see what gives. I"ll assume the cheekpiece is aluminum and also give Armalite a call once the scope is mounted.

Thanks, Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.