Where to buy real authentic Mitutoyo calipers

One recommendation if buying Mitutoyo, buy one with the 4th place, .0001, in small configuration. When that 4th place number is large, it can confuse a guy.
This is one expensive pair and I hate it.
caliper.jpg

McMaster Carr has them also. Super quick shipping. Similar to MSC.

These 2 also have about the best price. I used to order them all the time for the companies I worked for, as I refused less quality.

So my 20 plus year old Mitutoyo are starting to fail. They flash B for battery even when just replaced and display Err as I move them in and out.
I would like to replace them I would also like to go up to the 8 inch model since I am now playing with much larger calibers. It seems that Brownell's and midway only carry junk now. And Amazon and the rest of the world is full of fakes and Chinese rip offs and Chinese rip offs.
Where do you find Real authentic stuff
Being a retired tool & die maker with over 40 years experience I can tell you that vendors usually frequent large machine shops in order to boost sales..
I suggest calling local machine shops and see who is supplying their equipment and calling them on the phone.
I know that places like Grainger, MSC, and Global Supply are reputable suppliers.
Additionally, you may try tp Google Mitutoyo, Brown and Sharpe or Srarret for quality digital calipers.
I'll tell you what on the lower price end I'll bet that you will be surprised at the build quality of what Enco and Harbor Freight have to offer even though they are made overseas.
Hope this will guide you in the right direction!

One recommendation if buying Mitutoyo, buy one with the 4th place, .0001, in small configuration. When that 4th place number is large, it can confuse a guy.
This is one expensive pair and I hate it.
View attachment 213085
Resolution. Some calipers display only a 0 or a 5 in the fourth place. Others display all of the numbers in the fourth place. Do not delude yourself into thinking that just because the calipers display a number there that they are accurate to that degree of precision.

Resolution. Some calipers display only a 0 or a 5 in the fourth place. Others display all of the numbers in the fourth place. Do not delude yourself into thinking that just because the calipers display a number there that they are accurate to that degree of precision.
I never said that, the 4th number, 10 thousands, is not one most reloaders use, all I was saying, as reloaders we gather .000 three places, making the large 4th number confusing at times.
caliper1.jpg

Apologies, I wasn't cautioning you specifically but all readers in general. It is a common mistake to make in assuming that the tool's accuracy is equal to it's display.
I see the 4th place as the round-off direction indicator. I prefer the all digits display because I like to know how close or far away the round-off is from what the tool is measuring. However, being somewhat dyslexic I sometimes "move" the decimal point in my head and get a totally bogus result.

Unless it comes sealed in the Mitutoyo packaging and has the certs with it I'm dubious of ebay sourced measuring tools. I'm sure that good deal are out there just as I am far more sure that there are many, many fakes.

McMaster Carr has them also. Super quick shipping. Similar to MSC.
My go to tool room. LA to Utah next day. I don't have to stock so much material in my 1000 square foot shop. Pieces down to 1 foot length! A little expensive though but more than worth it to me. Individual pin gauges in .0001 increments for instance.

I like the fourth digit (0 or 5) displayed smaller than the rest.

Attachments

• Starrett.jpg
    Starrett.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 115
So my 20 plus year old Mitutoyo are starting to fail. They flash B for battery even when just replaced and display Err as I move them in and out.
I would like to replace them I would also like to go up to the 8 inch model since I am now playing with much larger calibers. It seems that Brownell's and midway only carry junk now. And Amazon and the rest of the world is full of fakes and Chinese rip offs and Chinese rip offs.
Where do you find Real authentic stuff

creedmooresports.com

However, being somewhat dyslexic I sometimes "move" the decimal point in my head and get a totally bogus result.
Lol, see. I hate the one I have, and I only use it on cases I do not have Whidden case gauges for. I can be bombing along, and bam, what now because I forget too. 4th number hidden in the bottom right corner works?
Sorry if I came across as abrasive.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts