where is the best place to get a rangefinder

We can get you any almost any rangefinder and we will meet or beat anyone's price if we do not already.

Mike @ CSGW

just for general info when you do buy one, of all the mid price range rangefinders I have tried, bought, used, borrowed the best one so far is the swarovski I currently have the 8x30 laser guide and would recomend it to anyone.

I'd go with one of these guys or another sponsor of this site. However, I will also put in a plug for Eagle Optics because I've had nothing but incredible service through them. For that matter, SWFA and Liberty Optics have done well by me too.

Anyway, I also highly recommend the Swaro but am dismayed at their recent price increase to nearly a grand. I would check out the Zeiss and Leica models too (particularly the new Zeiss). Nonetheless, here's a couple things that make the Swaro better, IMO.

1) The larger 30mm objective gives you a 20-25% larger exit pupil. That extra light transmission is nice and I generally leave the binos at home now.

2) I've compared the glass in the RF to Swaro's top-of-the-line EL glass and didn't notice much difference.

3) The Swaro will range out farther than most (but is that much use to you?)

4) Zeiss gives what is probably a conservative operating range down to 14F. I'm sure you can use 'em just fine below that but I can vouch that the Swaro gave me the same distances at -15F as it did at 40F or 60F.

Some people don't like the large aiming circle and the occasionally noticeable light scatter of dots and it seems the startup and calculation times might be lagging the newer Zeiss and Leica models. So while I wouldn't go with anything less than those, I'd seriously consider spending $500-600 instead.

Not all dealers on ebay are reputable and there is some counterfeit gear out there (Leupold Mark 4s, for example). I've been both a buyer and seller there so I'm not saying don't use it but you need to check out things like user feedback and just consider whether a deal sounds too good to be true.

once again choose swarovski, I don't work for them but I own one. I also own both of the others you mention. the swaro is about twice as good as either. it is much faster, better glass works to a 1000 yards in a snap. you can be shooting you rifle with one before you can get anything ranged with the others.

Comsidering I'm only twenty and I still need to buy a scope and scope mounts and a barrel, aaannd its the recession, I won't be saving up 2 grand for a range finder or I won't even be ranging anything this fall.

What ever you do don't waste your money on any of the Leupold RX series garbage. If it's between that and the CRF 1200 Leica, BUY THE LEICA !!

I had an RX-4 and in the sun you'll be lucky to get 400 yards, perfect conditions in the morning before the sun comes up and overcast 750 MAX on a hillside and that's with a tripod.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.