Where in Arizona/ New mexico to retire

My Bro lived in Cottonwood, he really liked it. He just went over to Albuquerque for a gal he's in a relationship with. His biggest complaint in Cottonwood was the lack of decent fishing. He did some major miles every weekend for very poor angling.

No matter where you decide between AZ or NM be sure to start applying for limited entry with bonus points so you can draw a decent tag at some point. You can hunt the surrounding states as well. Be sure to start putting in now, if not you may be to old when you finally draw. Just my two pennies. My vote is northern AZ, I visit Flagstaff its a nice area.

Archery deer (most units) and archery fall turkey are over the counter tags. Some bear tags are over the counter.

That is about it. Everything else is a draw, and some are tough. Took me 18 years to draw my last elk tag. 25 years with still no AZ antelope tag.

Deer draws can be every year, or 20+ depending on unit and season choice. Elk are the same.

Archery deer (most units) and archery fall turkey are over the counter tags. Some bear tags are over the counter.

That is about it. Everything else is a draw, and some are tough. Took me 18 years to draw my last elk tag. 25 years with still no AZ antelope tag.

Deer draws can be every year, or 20+ depending on unit and season choice. Elk are the same.
Sounds like you need to put in for Wyoming antelope. That's so long to wait for an antelope tag.

You are the right track with Central Arizona. My summers were spent in Camp Verde on 5 acres along the Verde River. The elevation is about 3500 feet, dove and quail are in your backyard and you can find good Elk and Deer within 40 miles. The weather is warmer than Prescott and Flagstaff and likely less expensive.