Where in Arizona/ New mexico to retire

valleysnyper

Hi, guys I've always gotten excellent advice from the members here, so I thought I'd throw this out there. I'm going to be retiring in about 5yrs. All my years as a Pipefitters has really taken its toll, bad shoulders,neck,knees and back along with every older persons favorite. ..arthritis. the Cold and snowy winters in western Wisconsin are not being to kind to me so we decided to move somewhere else for retirement. We are looking at areas around Silver city New mexico and kingman Az. Can anyone tell me about hunting opertunities in these areas ? I've always been able to hunt whitetails and occasionally black bear. I would like somewhere with decent weather. That doesn't brake the bank to live, that will still allow me to hunt alot if wanted. Thanks in advance for any help

Gary

I've always liked the Serria Visita, Bisbee AZ area...pretty and a lot less hot than the low desert. I always like the weather around Raton--but that may be a little cold for you. Prescott is super-- but has gotton expensive over the years...

I would say Az better than NM. NM has the worst health care in the USA. And as you stated, you have been a working man. So u May need some help in the medical field.

Kingman can get cold, not like Wisconsin, but cold nonetheless. Depends on how much your ailments are affected by it I guess. Usually windy there for some reason. Mohave county has some good hunting in it. I've hunted deer there and I've seen elk in the hualipai mountains, but never hunted them there. Barrelnut brings up a good point about Mexico for healthcare and dental. Not sure I'd be ok with living that close to the border but people do it. My dad and some of his buddies drive down there for dental, takes about 4.5-5 hours.
I don't know how you feel about living in a small town, but there's allot of them between Prescott and Phoenix. You'd be reasonably close to healthcare, major hospitals being in Prescott, Cottonwood, and of course Phoenix. Also close to whitetail and black bear. Just to be completely up front, the whitetail here are quite a bit smaller than you are accustomed to in your state. Both states have good elk populations and mule deer, maybe a point to consider for you, if you want to try something new?
Anyway, good luck with your move, hope you find the perfect place for your retirement!

I am interested in hunting Elk and Mulies, that was another reason for the spots I am looking at. I beleive I need to draw a tag for these species in both places. Does anybody know off hand how often you can get a tag ? Are there any species to hunt without a draw ? Maybe Antelope ? I'm thinking they must be abundant in both places also

I've lived in Az. my entire life except for college in Montana. I'm retired like you and would think infrastructure would be most important in selecting an area to live. The Prescott area appeals to me due to the availability of hospitals, healthcare, shopping, year around climate and small town feel. The elevation is around 5000+ which means an occasional small dusting of snow in the winter, usually around an inch. Tons of elk within 1-2 hrs and mule deer and antelope can be seen right in town. Lots of javelina close by also. A growing area about an hour southeast of Coues deer too. Hunts are had via the draw with a cow elk tag the easiest followed by a decent mule deer tag with just a few bonus points. I've seen Antelope tags drawn from 5-15 points for good areas. You can take the Az hunters ed class which earns you a permanent annual bonus point for all species. There is a species loyalty point also. Good luck and hope you're happy with your selection.

Last edited:
If you don't want to much progressive liberal go Arizona. I live in New Mexico and for the most part, like California, liberals in major population centers like Santa Fe and Albuquerque control the state. Lived in the Chiricahua mountain section of Arizona for years until job moved us to New Mexico. Sierra Vista-Bisbee area is nice.

Lots of mulies in Bisbee Douglas area. Saw a mule deer once, 14 miles east of Douglas, was a MONSTER ! My head kept going, that's an elk! Wait, there's no elk in here! Dang, he's big! That's an elk! There's no elk in here! Dang he's big ! Saw another, same spot, with atypical rack, looked like a moose antler. Actually helped rescue him out of a trench he had fallen into. Pretty country, too. An outfitter/guide right up the road, ran for lions. Interesting history, around there. Course that's true country wide.

I am interested in hunting Elk and Mulies, that was another reason for the spots I am looking at. I beleive I need to draw a tag for these species in both places. Does anybody know off hand how often you can get a tag ? Are there any species to hunt without a draw ? Maybe Antelope ? I'm thinking they must be abundant in both places also

Just about everything big game in Arizona requires a draw. Getting drawn is pretty dependant on the area you put in for, as far as success rates. If you put in for the draw by yourself(one Hunter on the application) you can buy bonus points and increase your odds of getting drawn. Never done that, but I've been thinking about it lately. Bear mountain lion etc just require valid hunting license and over the counter tag.
Down south they usually have left over tags, as well as some other areas not popular to hunt.
Depredation hunts you just go to game and fish and purchase the tag. Usually pretty tough hunting though. I did one last year in Kaibab for elk. Cool hunt, but no success.