Where in Arizona/ New mexico to retire

Rick Richard

I just purchased 5 acres in Ramah for $13k total. Land is cheap there. I live near Phoenix and the plan is to build a retirement home for the summers in NM and keep the Az house for the winter. There are areas east of Phoenix that you can still buy a house for under $200k, some areas are under $125k. I would recommend that you consider the snowbird lifestyle.
I elk hunt that area and usually stay at Ancient Way cabins. Love that area.

nakneker

I live in the White Mountains of Arizona. I was Born and raised here and have lived here 90% of my life. It’s a beautiful place. Growing up it was small and everyone knew everyone but that’s changing fast with the first real growth happening in the late 90s. Unfortunately in the last year we have a lot of people from the coastal areas moving in, especially California. The resident population is growing at a much faster rate than ever before. I live in Show Low and homes and land are turning and burning. It’s a familiar story in the southwest, I hope we can keep that specialness Arizona is known for, super gun friendly and lots of hunting opportunities even if the good tags are hard to draw. It gets cold here in the winter so the White Mountains isn’t what your looking for. Lots of beautiful places down low in the desert. If your within an hour drive of the Phoenix or Tucson area public land will be much more crowded than if you keep a 2-3 hour cushion from those areas. If you go out on the weekend close to those areas you will have a hard time finding a place to shoot and get some elbow room, gets crowded.

Last edited:

Rick Richard

I live in the White Mountains of Arizona. I was Born and raised here and have lived here 90% of my life. It’s a beautiful place. Growing up it was small and everyone knew everyone but that’s changing fast with the first real growth happening in the late 90s. Unfortunately in the last year we have a lot of people from the coastal areas moving in, especially California. The resident population is growing at a much faster rate than ever before. I live in Show Low and homes and land are turning and burning. It’s a familiar story in the southwest, I hope we can keep that specialness Arizona is known for, super gun friendly and lots of hunting opportunities even if the good tags are hard to draw. It gets cold here in the winter so the White Mountains isn’t what your looking for. Lots of beautiful places down low in the desert. If your within an hour drive of the Phoenix or Tucson area public land will be much more crowded than if you keep a 2-3 hour cushion from those areas. If you go out on the weekend close to those areas you will have a hard time finding a place to shoot and get some elbow room, gets crowded.
I was in Show Low this past summer visiting a friend who is an outfitter in AZ and NM who also lives in Show Low. Lovely area for sure.

wbm

Lived in Arizona for years but New Mexico for the past 36 and have seen that state gradually erode into a liberal clone of California. If you doubt it check out the insane anti gun legislation that is currently on the agenda.

So for me it's hands down Arizona for a place to retire.

Papa Don

Hi, guys I've always gotten excellent advice from the members here, so I thought I'd throw this out there. I'm going to be retiring in about 5yrs. All my years as a Pipefitters has really taken its toll, bad shoulders,neck,knees and back along with every older persons favorite. ..arthritis. the Cold and snowy winters in western Wisconsin are not being to kind to me so we decided to move somewhere else for retirement. We are looking at areas around Silver city New mexico and kingman Az. Can anyone tell me about hunting opertunities in these areas ? I've always been able to hunt whitetails and occasionally black bear. I would like somewhere with decent weather. That doesn't brake the bank to live, that will still allow me to hunt alot if wanted. Thanks in advance for any help

Gary
You might take a look at Farmington, NM. I lived here 50 some years and will stay for the finale.
The weather is decent with all four seasons, we usually have about 3 months of winter but nothing like what you are used to.
The hunting is good for deer, elk, Turkey and bear on occasion. We do operate under a draw system for big game tags. Some areas are a draw for Turkey and others are over the counter.
We are expecting temps in the high 70s today.
Be safe.

Jim’s Hunt

I've always liked the Serria Visita, Bisbee AZ area...pretty and a lot less hot than the low desert. I always like the weather around Raton--but that may be a little cold for you. Prescott is super-- but has gotton expensive over the years...
Bisbee, Sierra Vista is great. Mule deer, Couse whitetail,Javalina, good dove and quail not super cold or hot. Was born and raised in Bisbee

sonorakitch

Wickenburg and Globe haven't been mentioned yet. Both are exceptional smaller communities well-suited for retirement. If a fellow has blueish voting tendencies though best select another state!