Where does .308 Winchester excel?

Google the .30 TC. It's exactly what a 7.6 creed would be haha.
But I will say I love the TC Icon rifles, I wish they would scrap the venture and compass and bring back the icon or just have 1 model of a really nice bolt alongside their Encore. You don't have to make a million different guns, just one really good one that people want to buy.

But I will say I love the TC Icon rifles, I wish they would scrap the venture and compass and bring back the icon or just have 1 model of a really nice bolt alongside their Encore. You don't have to make a million different guns, just one really good one that people want to buy.
Absolutely! Too many options ruins everything haha.

I recall years ago I was at a restaurant in Ottawa on our honeymoon, a cross between an Italian restaurant and an Irish pub with the decor of an old school monestary, stained glass church windows and everything…pretty cool place, good food. Anyways, their claim to fame was their beer selection, they had a "beer Bible" on every table and apparently in addition to dozens of options on tap they had over 300 different kinds of beer in cans or bottles in their basement.

Too many options!!! Sounded good, was overwhelming to make a decision!

I ended up just getting coffee! 🤣

Absolutely! Too many options ruins everything haha.

I recall years ago I was at a restaurant in Ottawa on our honeymoon, a cross between an Italian restaurant and an Irish pub with the decor of an old school monestary, stained glass church windows and everything…pretty cool place, good food. Anyways, their claim to fame was their beer selection, they had a "beer Bible" on every table and apparently in addition to dozens of options on tap they had over 300 different kinds of beer in cans or bottles in their basement.

Too many options!!! Sounded good, was overwhelming to make a decision!

I ended up just getting coffee! 🤣
Try one of each.

The 308 clearly excels at provoking long, interesting, educational and sometimes passionate and humorous discussion!
And beyond that in the right hands it is quite accurate and lethal out to 600 yards on medium sized game, notably deer and antelope. Beyond 600 yards the bullets start a tendency to key hole especially at 1000 yards.

Recently I've thought about buying a Tikka CTR in .308 as I no longer have a rifle in that caliber after selling my model 10 and already have a 6.5 Creed in a bravo. But it's got me thinking, with all the cartridges that are out now, does it really make sense to buy one new? The ballistics are worse than It's smaller caliber derivatives, it has more recoil, and any animal I would feel comfortable shooting with .308 I'd also shoot with a 6/6.5/7mm and .223 given a good projectile in it's effective range. The biggest points in it's favor that I can think of are
1. Ammo cost relative to the 6/6.5/7mms although those seem to be coming down a bit
2. Ammo ubiquity compared to 6/6.5/7mms
3. Potentially a good trainer as it drifts more in the wind, but I feel like the same thing could be done with .223
What am I missing? The point of this thread isn't to try and **** on .308, I just can't think of a reason I should get one even though I'm likely going to eventually.
Versatility, cheap brass, cheap, always available ammo and it will work ion short actions and AR's.

Ballistically it's adequate and from a reloaders standpoint cheap to load for due to the small case size.

Recoil wise, for a 30 caliber round it's relatively mild which is a real plus for small-framed people, women, kids etc. or anyone else that's recoil sensitive.

From the aspect of a hunting rifle, you can shoot everything from predators and pigs up to large game at reasonable ranges so it will probably always have a place in millions of homes.

Question? Are you a Bot or just a fraudster?
Who starts the exact same post on several different forums right after becoming a new member? Then goes after the WTB ads????

Attachments

• EF8C8053-9C3F-4BFF-B481-9B48A2CBFCDC.png
    EF8C8053-9C3F-4BFF-B481-9B48A2CBFCDC.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 20461F69-ABF3-482B-9C8E-D508AF39D571.png
    20461F69-ABF3-482B-9C8E-D508AF39D571.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 53
I guess I've gotta confess that I've only fired a 308 from a pistol. My Pops had a Savage in 308 years ago and I've fired some of the best groups I fired with a pistol with that weapon. I had the thing down to 1/4 moa. for a number of test groups. My 243 wasn't quite as good but still 1/2 moa. or so.
Lately I haven't really worried about the last little bit of accuracy, so my current rendition of a Striker in 7-08 was pushed to sub moa. and that's it. I believe the barrel is good for more, but I'm not sure it'll keep up with the 308 from 20+ years ago. That barrel was a shooter. Trouble is you had to run her to the wall to get enough speed out of it.

Question? Are you a Bot or just a fraudster?
Who starts the exact same post on several different forums right after becoming a new member? Then goes after the WTB ads????

Looks like a dm-as s ..... to me ! scammer trying to get his post count up and get his profiles (on all the sites) familiar with the members & create a sense of trust ...

Then he'll post some high dollar items for sale at a good deal and rip off a trusting buyer ....

This isn't his first time doing this .... bet anything he's robbed a bunch of guys already under different names