Where did the Vais breaks web-site go?

JustC

I found it a while back, and printed price lists, but now, when I do a search, I can't find it. Is it under a different name? Is is gone? what's the deal guys?

Thanks.

thanks crow mag, I feel sufficiently stupid now
grin.gif

I wonder how many people found it by typing in muzzle breaks on the search engine and found it right away, while I tried typing Vais every which way I could
blush.gif

sometimes, you say to yourself,....."self,..you should have stayed in bed today"

Duh I didn't know that they Vais was in my backyard
grin.gif
. Right here in San Antonio,Tx, maybe we all should look in our backyards to see what goodies we can find.

I've heard of Vais befor4e but never really looked at one. Now I've seen the pictures. Insteresting design. Since some of the gases are vented through the muzzle end, would that not decrease the recoil reduction over one without forward vents? Also, do the gases blast a spotter or do they go out 90 degrees? Finally, does he make a model without ports on the bottom? I hate those when I'm shooting prone for Pdogs or gophers. I've shot a couple of other guys guns with thoses type, and spotted beside them too. That being said, I'd really like one that follows the taper of my barrel if I can have decent recoil reduction, a brake the vents stright out the sides, and has no holes on the bottom to kick up dirt. Any ideas? I need four. Two for me, and two for a buddy.

I am no expert, but I also like the ones that follow the contour of the barrel. It looks cleaner and seems like it would work better for my kind of hunting scenarios (scabbards and such).
You may want to contact Kevin Knight at High Performance Gunsmithing. .muzzlebrake.com
He might be able to set you up with one of his slim line brakes that would port as you want it to.

The one drawbakc I have found on the OPS inc. brake is that it is easy to inadvertently get a twig or something snagged in the brake. Snow I'm not concerned about, as it will discharge, but a twig could really ruin a guy's day, ya know?
shocked.gif

Prairie Gun Works is right on my way to work, about 30 minutes from my front door. Ross installed my current OPS Inc. MB and I called him the other day about installing my barrels and brakes. He never suggested that he made his own brakes or that I should buy one from him. I'll have to check on that. The OPS inc. brake discharges at 90 degrees to the shooter, and doesn't seem to bother anyone that much. What's cool is the fact that I have had friends hunting within 3-400 yards of me who weren't aware I even shot my rifle until they came to pick me up and saw a deer laying on the ground.
smile.gif

There are some excellent gunsmiths in the prairies. Prairie Gunworks is one of them. They can easily make you what you want. Another is Dlask in Vanc. Nice stuff, bring money. I have used Dennis Sorrenson (250) 652-5610 in Victoria and Tom Norman (604) 854-8079 in Abbotsford. Both good guys to deal with and reasonably priced. Tom built my Wby and put an in barrel brake that is only on the top half - nice work.

Brownells has lots of different designs too but export is a pain.

Yes, the Vais, with the front ports, will reduce recoil less but it is quieter. The better a brake works, the noisier it will be perceived by the shooter and bystanders.

Baffle brakes (JP, OPS, "fish gill") will be more effective then a single expansion chamber brake (KDF, WBY, Vais). Larger diameter brakes are more effective then small diameter. Angling the baffles "back" is much better then "forward". No free lunch.

Now if they would just let us use silencers. We and the neighbours would be happier.

Jerry

Sheldon,

Consider the fish gill type brakes then. They can be contoured to fit the barrel quite closely. Are quite effective and branches can't fit in the slots. Same goes for the single expansion brakes with lots of holes all around.

Are you hunting in heavy cover? My rifle range if in a valley and when I shoot my muzzle braked rifles, neighbours a km away can hear the rumble.

Without excellent hearing protection, I find it quite uncomfortable to be near any shooter with a braked rifle. But that's just me...

Jerry

Vais breaks can be turned along with the barrel. They will match perfectly, and appear to be part of the barrel. I have seen several done that way, and they look GREAT. My 300RUM is being barreled with a Vais that will be turned down with the tube to match.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.