Where are you sourcing/buying your action from?

Obligatory shoutout to Front Range Precision. He hooked my up with my Origin. Great price, service, and had everything in stock. For factory prefit offerings it seems just about everyone offers a prefit for the Origin actions. Easy to get another bolt head if you decide to add another barrel down the line in a different diameter. Zermatt stands behind the actions too, pin for my pinned recoil lug snapped after a number of barrel changes, they had some new ones out to me the next day.

That's a little disconcerting…
How do they work with prefits if their tolerances are so different? 🤔

On thier website Defiance does not recommend prefits.

Edit: sorry, they only recommend prefits for the Tenacity. It's in their FAQ section.

"Defiance is a manufacturer of high-quality bolt-actions. Because of the bolt and receiver combination in the Tenacity (with integral lug) action we can achieve headspace consistencies of +/- .001" action to action.....Pre-fitting a barrel is possible, but only when you have consistently machined actions, and an equally precise chambering of barrels. Defiance's position on pre-fits is; if you choose to use pre-fit barrels on our actions, you should only do so if final fit up is done by a reputable gunsmith to insure proper headspace and fit."

Last edited:
I've decided I will be building my first custom rifle this year with the help of a machinist buddy of mine as needed
So, is this to gain experience in the machining ops required to actually "build" a rifle?

In the last decade or so, tolerances in receivers have been tightened to the extent that very accurate rifles can be assembled from production parts. For me, this is an assembly of parts- just like an AR-15. Maybe a handful of tooling (barrel vise, action wrench, etc)
but no actual machining work.

If it's assembly, precision M700 clones that take prefits (either shouldered, or nutted) all mentioned above fit the bill.
Buying a Borden, BAT, etc will certainly do the job. What you're getting here is everyone's individual preference, usually based on what they own- not what will serve YOUR purpose.

If you don't like spending $$ for basically no reason (this is a hunting rifle, not a BR competition rifle) and your machinist friend can handle it (barrel work is nothing more than basic machining, but to VERY tight tolerances), you can get the same results at the target for much less $$. Get a Mack action, a quality blank from Bartlein, Krieger, Hart, etc. and you're four figures ahead.

You're welcome.

JMO. YMMV.

Really impressed with my first custom, sourcing all the parts in a package deal from a dealer on the hide for way cheaper than I could get anywhere else. The Bighorn action and proof barrel are very nice

Defiance has a guaranteed headspace of .001 on the Ruckus, Anti, and Tenacity. Prefits should work with any of these actions based on my understanding. I like light and steel actions.

Defiance has a guaranteed headspace of .001 on the Ruckus, Anti, and Tenacity. Prefits should work with any of these actions based on my understanding. I like light and steel actions.
I pick up my anTi tomorrow and will report back on quality.
Until this thread, I'd only ever heard positive things about those actions. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried.

Just had my first full custom rifle built, used a BAT Vesper from Unknown Munitions.
94FE394D-D9CD-445A-A632-001E32DA5512.jpeg

Defiance is an excellent action. Some of them dont have a guaranteed hs, which really is not a big deal unless doing prefits. Putting a prefit on a custom action doesnt make sense to me anyhow, Id put the money into the barrel first then the action. But thats my opinion. Defiance actions are in the top tier for straightness and ignition. The shrouds are fit extremely well, usually I get less ignition drag from them than most. Spring and pin fall are correct for top accuracy. Others mentioned here are short on both. Defiance offers different bolt fits. You have options. In the top 3 of actions for me.

Defiance is an excellent action. Some of them dont have a guaranteed hs, which really is not a big deal unless doing prefits. Putting a prefit on a custom action doesnt make sense to me anyhow, Id put the money into the barrel first then the action. But thats my opinion. Defiance actions are in the top tier for straightness and ignition. The shrouds are fit extremely well, usually I get less ignition drag from them than most. Spring and pin fall are correct for top accuracy. Others mentioned here are short on both. Defiance offers different bolt fits. You have options. In the top 3 of actions for me.
Alex - what actions are you running in your 338 LMI builds? I assume you prefer the 1.125?

I've had a couple defiance built for me and they're nice. Im waiting on a prefit barrel for 7wsm but decided to order a Mack Brothers. $675 and in stock. 1/2 price and to me it seems every bit as tight and nice as a defiance.