Where are you sourcing/buying your action from?

Ryan Pierce at Piercision rifles usually has a variety of quality actions in stock for great prices. I used to scource actions from all over the place but I'll be giving Ryan all my business from now on. Great guy to deal with and he stocks most if not all the components needed to build a high end rifle. He also makes the best muzzle brake on the market in my opinion.

Ryan Pierce at Piercision rifles usually has a variety of quality actions in stock for great prices. I used to scource actions from all over the place but I'll be giving Ryan all my business from now on. Great guy to deal with and he stocks most if not all the components needed to build a high end rifle. He also makes the best muzzle brake on the market in my opinion.
Great info. I'll check him out!

They have fuzion actions with the alpine cut coming in next week you can pre order and I think some defiance anti in stock as well.
I just bought my Defiance anTi from Altus and they were very easy to work with and had competitive pricing.

I work at a benchrest/f-class custom rifle shop and I've been privileged to handle a fair amount of custom actions... That said I would buy a Zermatt Arms Origin before I'd buy a Defiance simply based on tolerances if you're looking for the ~$1000 price point.

Borden is simply the best action I've handled followed closely by Kelbly and BAT.

If you're looking for something quick but still good quality, order a Zermatt/Bighorn Origin from Bugholes.com. I own one and it's a good action. If you're looking for the best order a Borden Timberline. The Origin will be slightly heavier than the Borden and take Savage small shank threads. The Borden takes 18tpi threads and the tolerances are so perfect we spin up barrels for international customers without even seeing their receiver.

I may be a little judgy regarding Defiance too because they were not capable of emailing me a tenon print when literally every other action manufacturer we work with has their tenon's posted to their website. That's because of their loose tolerances. Call them and ask for a tenon print. I'd eat my hat if they give you one.

Second, we had a Defiance in the shop yesterday and the tolerances were so loose we could take blue painters tape, wrap it around the bolt, and then close the bolt in the action smoothly. That shouldn't be possible.

I LOVE Defiance's marketing and their style. Seriously I do. I just wish their tolerances were up to par to their marketing.

Last edited:
I work at a benchrest/f-class custom rifle shop and I've been privileged to handle a fair amount of custom actions... That said I would buy a Zermatt Arms Origin before I'd buy a Defiance simply based on tolerances if you're looking for the ~$1000 price point.

Borden is simply the best action I've handled followed closely by Kelbly and BAT.

If you're looking for something quick but still good quality, order a Zermatt/Bighorn Origin from Bugholes.com. I own one and it's a good action. If you're looking for the best order a Borden Timberline. The Origin will be slightly heavier than the Borden and take Savage small shank threads. The Borden takes 18tpi threads and the tolerances are so perfect we spin up barrels for international customers without even seeing their receiver.

I may be a little judgy regarding Defiance too because they were not capable of emailing me a tenon print when literally every other action manufacturer we work with has their tenon's posted to their website. That's because of their loose tolerances. Call them and ask for a tenon print. I'd eat my hat if they give you one.

Second, we had a Defiance in the shop yesterday and the tolerances were so loose we could take blue painters tape, wrap it around the bolt, and then close the bolt in the action smoothly. That shouldn't be possible.

I LOVE Defiance's marketing and their style. Seriously I do. I just wish their tolerances were up to par to their marketing.
That's really good information, thanks for your input. The more and more I research and get input from folks the less excited I am about Defiance. Which in a way is good. I'd hate to drop the coin and be disappointed. Ideally I'll keep the cost under 1500$ for the action. I have a lot to learn about actions and all that comes with choosing one.

I've got an intermediate Defiance anTi being built into a light weight 270 WSM and a Kelbly Nanook going into a 300 Norma Improved. The Defiance came through the gunsmith who ordered it from Defiance and it took a while. I found the Nanook on LRH.

I respect what davidheart said but I couldn't know what I didn't know. BTW, I'd love to be able to handle custom actions for a living.

I've got an intermediate Defiance anTi being built into a light weight 270 WSM and a Kelbly Nanook going into a 300 Norma Improved. The Defiance came through the gunsmith who ordered it from Defiance and it took a while. I found the Nanook on LRH.

I respect what davidheart said but I couldn't know what I didn't know. BTW, I'd love to be able to handle custom actions for a living.
Nice sounds like you'll be in good shape either way. The only custom action I've ran was a ruckus my buddy used for his 6XC build. I was very impressed. I can only imagine how others could be better.

That's a little disconcerting…
How do they work with prefits if their tolerances are so different? 🤔