Where Are They

Perhaps they all moved over to Unit 17 in the Selway wilderness.
We certainly have an abundance of them there as well as in area 250 on the West Fork of the Bitterroot in Montana.
We are really looking forward to the "wolf management" opportunity that the states of Idaho and Montana have allowed us this year.
In Idaho a trapper can take 3 and a hunter can shoot two so we anticipate a good season as we endeavor, with some enthusiasm, to restore some balance to the area.
During the winter months, as the snow moves the game and the predators out of the high country, we expect to have a good season as we use traditional trapping techniques and some long range hunting opportunities to reduce their numbers a bit.
If you are interested in participating in our winter hunts let me know.
Also, lets find out what works to take them. If you have any luck with predator calls or other techniques make a post.
thanks!! and good luck.

Last edited:
I would like to know how to go about getting a license for Idaho. On the last go around our season quota just north of Yellowstone Park was met very early.
As far as calling goes I know that while calling coyotes if wolves area they will often come for a closer look, but will hang up at 3-400 yards.If they start coming in cautiously and you do a hurt pup sound. They will get very curious and almost stupid curious. The craziest was last year I had one come in to 30 yards down wind, just as it winded us and spun I really laid into a hurt pup squall and the sucker just laid down facing us for 30 minutes! After this season that will all change. Sorry to hi-jack your thread but I am really excited about this season.

They supposedly had 13 wintering 1 mile northwest of Challis. I steelhead fish with a guy up there and he has seen them every winter for 3 years now.

i got my tag for here in montana. Looking forward to trying to get one. I am also looking for areas and info on how to try to get one.

There are several packs in the Ketchum/Hailey/Bellevue area.
Units 48, 49 and 50.
Got my sights on several in the Unit 49 area.

Randy

Thanks for the new section Len!
I can't answer the question, but I've been wrestling with it myself. It's going to be tough to pattern an animal that may move a couple of hundred miles. My plan is to follow the elk. Area's that we've ATV'd, that have elk sign, have tracks, and howls. They also have cows with no calves at their side, and few calf tracks.

Sure would be nice to have something like that in bama. We get yotes and thats pretty much it other than a few hogs in the peanuts. I hope to live vicariously through you guys. Go get em! And be sure to get us some pics!

I will try to find out in October. If they are in my area, I will find them. Would rather find cows with calves. We will see.

Don't know about West Central but seems a large number in East Central west of Salmon got Parvo and died. I heard that a domestic dog died of the disease and the owner thought he'd lay his pet to rest in the mountains and darned if the wolves didn't dig it up and eat it. Poor wolves, I'm all tore up 'bout them getting diseased and dying. Too bad:rolleyes:

got mine for mt we have more then we need around white sulpher and martinsdale. with the sub quotas put in they cant fill all 18 down by the park this year.

Anyone been seeing wolves or sign of in West Central Idaho? Haven't seen any here in the lower Hells Canyon Unit 13 area.

Just curious.

Try moving up next to the border between Unit 13 & 14 around White Bird and Copperville..
Near you and where I've seen wolves in the past is Placerville Id just out side of Idaho City... hunt near the Harris Creek area heading for Horseshoe Bend.
Good luck

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.