When you screw up for the better

browning442

Went to load my 22 BR the other day, after looking at a bunch of load data for my 22 creedmoor previously. Long story short, I had H4350 in my brain and loaded 29.2 grains of it with the 88 ELD M and got to the 47th round and realized my mistake - my previous data was for varget.

Verified the load would be safe to shoot with Quickload, instead of pulling them all. Breathed a sigh that they were good to go, and wasn't losing much velocity in the 28" barrel to boot.
Shot a 5-shot group with it tonight and I am thinking sometimes luck is better than skill or knowledge.

May stick with this one, 5 shots at 100
DE5EA7AF-7EDF-4E5A-B4AF-1A1E72C1985F.jpeg
4F0DA9F7-879E-45D8-874F-7253BA65D73B.jpeg

Looks like a 3 shot group to me. The other 2 must have been flyers clean off the paper. 🤔

How was POI vs your normal load? I don't see the point of aim anywhere on your target.

Went to load my 22 BR the other day, after looking at a bunch of load data for my 22 creedmoor previously. Long story short, I had H4350 in my brain and loaded 29.2 grains of it with the 88 ELD M and got to the 47th round and realized my mistake - my previous data was for varget.

Verified the load would be safe to shoot with Quickload, instead of pulling them all. Breathed a sigh that they were good to go, and wasn't losing much velocity in the 28" barrel to boot.
Shot a 5-shot group with it tonight and I am thinking sometimes luck is better than skill or knowledge.

View attachment 197150View attachment 197152
fantastic!!! Thanks for sharing and for telling "the truth, the WHOLE truth, and nothing but the truth" - it would have been easy enough to say "meant to do that".

I believe this is called "falling up"

Looks like a 3 shot group to me. The other 2 must have been flyers clean off the paper. 🤔

How was POI vs your normal load? I don't see the point of aim anywhere on your target.

Was aiming at the center of the staple to warm up the barrel... first shot of the 5 was cold bore. So i fired another it went same hole, then just continued to shoot at the staple to see how things were gonna go. It helped to have a 25 power scope.

I was using the back of a 24"x36" construction plan page to shoot at... so unless the other shots were 2 feet off, this is all 5

View attachment 197150View attachment 197152
That's awesome, I made a mistake for the better on seating depth for the first rifle I ever loaded for years ago. I accidentally went the wrong way with the seater die and seated the bullet deeper. I was frustrated & literally just about to give up on learning to reload. I didn't even realize what I had done. I went and shot those rounds and it was a sub 1/2 moa load in a factory 7mm rem mag sendero. Sometimes, it may be that we've got someone looking out for us.😉

@djfergus Funny how it happens sometimes... all the tuning and planning we do to get that perfect load, then we screw up and it works out for the better.

I've never gotten a load this good or shot a group this good in my life, i'm not a benchrest shooter by any means, just love to reload and do load development. This is humbling because a guy thinks he has it all figured out, then screws up and it works out better.

FYI here's the previous "correct" info I was working off of....

this was 200 yard seating depth testing - so I didn't get it all wrong, as I used the correct seating depth on the "incorrect" load

DF2B9627-B994-4C12-9B84-28B6908CEF34.jpeg

@djfergus Funny how it happens sometimes... all the tuning and planning we do to get that perfect load, then we screw up and it works out for the better.

I've never gotten a load this good or shot a group this good in my life, i'm not a benchrest shooter by any means, just love to reload and do load development. This is humbling because a guy thinks he has it all figured out, then screws up and it works out better.
I've had many humbling experiences loading, hunting, shooting & just life in general. Many mistakes made. Times when things looked as they had turned for the worst and a lot of those times it turned out better that I would have been able to plan it myself. That's why I know the Almighty had to be looking out for me. That's really great your load turned out like it did. Definitely an anomaly.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts