When to quit chasing the lands and re-barrel?

Bbear

I have a 1st year production 700 ADL in 25-06 with a 22" factory barrel. Round count is well in excess of 3000. To reach the lands my COAL is now up to 3.45" (SAAMI chamber length is 3.25). Though accuracy is still good.
When would you look at re-barreling? Re-bore isn't an option as there is quite a bit of sentimentality involved in this rifle and this caliber. So, should I keep chasing and get ready to start single-loading or start looking at re-barrel?

If it still shoots good don't change anything, Not even the loaded length.

It is common to set the barrel back one thread and re head space the chamber.

One will generally clean up the lands and save a good shooting barrel.

I have a target 308 win that has over 23,000 rounds through it and with iron sights, it will shoot 1/2 MOA groups. The lands have moved forward but the ammo is loaded to the same COAL and still shoots great.

I have bore scoped the barrel many times and as long as accuracy holds I will leave everything alone.

J E CUSTOM

To reach the lands my COAL is now up to 3.45" (SAAMI chamber length is 3.25). Though accuracy is still good.
I say stop reaching for the lands. Stop changing your ammo.
When the barrel is no longer shooting known ammo good enough, you can have it set back, or replaced.

I say stop reaching for the lands. Stop changing your ammo.
When the barrel is no longer shooting known ammo good enough, you can have it set back, or replaced.

I agree.
I used to chase the lands, but now I adjust the powder charge IF accuracy falls off, it is usually a fair round count by the time velocity has slowed enough to show on target, but it is noticeable.
There will be a point that no load tinkering will bring back the accuracy, it may stay at that wider aggregate for some time before degrading further, this is the time to set back and re-chamber.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.