When to call it quits on a rifle?

Skimbleshanks

So ill start off with. Im very frustrated. I know most things in life dont go exactly as planned but let me lay out the issues ive had with this rifle.

1)6 years to get it from the smith.
2)A couple years sitting in the closet because everytime I looked at it I would get ****ed about #1
3) Gunsmiths load for the rifle was super hot so have to come up with something else.
4)Load data is almost non existant cause 338-300 WSM isn't a popular wildcat and powder options are slim these days so BLC-2 is what im work ing with.
5)Finding dies was hard then expensive once found
6)Seating plug wont seat new bullets any deeper than .002" from the lands
7) New seating plug is .004" larger diameter than the original seating plug and wont screw in.

Im going to email the die company again as they were helpful getting a new seating plug to seat deeper but... useless that it wont screw into the die. Seems like every turn this rifle is more of a pain than its worth. The original load would make ragged holes but blow primers, ejector swipes and hard bolt lift. Ugh. 30-06 again this year probably.

Bed the original stem to your new bullets with thick enough bedding to get the jump you want.

But to answer the question, I wouldn't pick an uncommon caliber unless I know where to get dies before the build plan is fleshed out. That would solve all the issues except the slow gunsmith. I would also want loading data with a few powders or else Quick Load software to figure out which powders to try. It's also good to really look at the throat to see if you want it longer or shorter than "standard" for magazine fit and chasing the lands with your preferred bullet.

So have you loaded for it yet? Or are you still stuck on the die problem.

If you can get the die issue worked out and arent having any luck with your current bullet/powder combo, you will most likely need to try a new bullet or powder-- of you are set on your bullet and powder combo and they arent working then sell it. Just remember that "custom" builds usually dont have a great return on investment value, but sometimes a loss can be better than the stress and frustration.
I've only ever given up on 2 rifles this far,on borh I went through several scopes, mounts, powders, primers, bullets (over 900 rounds in one and about 500 in the other) -- I was bound and determined to make the things work-- in the end, the $ on sale was plenty of satisfaction over all the time/$/frustration I went through--- I'll never keep another rifle that long again
They might have been great for someone else, but I'm just not happy with 1.25-1.5 moa rifles anymore in my life.
It's all relative though

So have you loaded for it yet? Or are you still stuck on the die problem.

If you can get the die issue worked out and arent having any luck with your current bullet/powder combo, you will most likely need to try a new bullet or powder-- of you are set on your bullet and powder combo and they arent working then sell it. Just remember that "custom" builds usually dont have a great return on investment value, but sometimes a loss can be better than the stress and frustration.
I've only ever given up on 2 rifles this far,on borh I went through several scopes, mounts, powders, primers, bullets (over 900 rounds in one and about 500 in the other) -- I was bound and determined to make the things work-- in the end, the $ on sale was plenty of satisfaction over all the time/$/frustration I went through--- I'll never keep another rifle that long again
They might have been great for someone else, but I'm just not happy with 1.25-1.5 moa rifles anymore in my life.
It's all relative though

Ive got dies. Finally found some but had to wait a while. The bullets I was originally using are now hard to come by and the powder is vapor these days. 225 accubonds and Varget. So I picked up a bunch of 230 ELD-Xs and a few pounds of BLC-2. averaged load data from 338RCM, 325 WSM, 338-06AI, and some quickload data I found for the 338-300WSM with a different bullet. Feel confident that I can work up safely with this combo if I can just get my bullets seated. First seating stem bottomed out with the bullets .002" off the rifling. New seating stem is longer but .004" larger diameter and wont screw in. Trying to do a seating depth test with a starting load then try to find an accuracy/velocity node. Not looking to push anything super hard.

You're a better man than me, I would've given up half way through #1. I shoot because I enjoy it and if a rifle is giving me that much grief then I'll never enjoy it. Every time I would look at it, it would be tarnished. Best of luck to you though!

How handy are you with a drill and grinder?

Chuck the stem up in your drill, and have someone hold a grinder with a flap wheel stationary running. Gently start working the stem against the flap wheel til it fits...

A drill press would make it even easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.