When To Abandon Your Guide On A "Guided" Hunt

NOT FUNNY! SCARY! He said off the top of HIS head! How'd you think of all that? Not wanting to know what else you're thinkin about! ( Now its my turn for makin fun!)

I just went on my first guided hut this fall in wyoming. Before this I have always done it on my own that is 40 plus years of hunting trapping ect. What I found out was that guides are not use to people that can do it on their own they run into a lot of people who the time thye spend in the woods is with a guide. So they treat all people as newbies untill they know better can't say ia blame them. My guide was a nice guy knew the area my parner and I both shot elk. But looking back what I was buying was a nice warm place to sleep, good food, horses and axcess to the area we hunted. The guide didn't do anything differant then I would have done as far as the hunt or stalk went. We had a great time.
But by the same means until you know who and what your dealing with, guides along with teachers and instructors have to start at the bottom.

*WyoWhisper*,

I've got to hand it to you, and those who can do the professional guiding thing on a daily basis. If everything goes perfect, you are the hero. But a lousy hunter will never go home and tell the truth, they blame the guide for their lack of ability. ( I'm not insinuating anything about anyone here, but only talking of personal experience )

I've been a trapper for pretty much forever, and spend a lot of time in the woods. It doesn't take long to learn the traits and habits of different animals. It didn't take long for people to pick up on my talking about seeing big bucks frequently and nice gobblers and they soon wanted me to take them out.

I've learned a few things from them. Such as it is possible for some people to get lost in a 40 acre wood lot and need help to get out. The safest place to be when hunting with someone for the first time, is right behind them. Staying at least 3" closer to them than the length of their gun. Guys who claim they can put 3 out of 5 deer slugs into a pie plate at 100 yards, can't hit an 11X14 target 1 out of 5 times at 25 yards.

I still guide people on coyotes hunts from time to time. Mostly those I've hunted with before or who have hunted with friends. I still don't like it. The pressure to produce something that just may not be willing to cooperate on a given day, just eats me up. Most guys are understanding, but those few loud ones that don't make me want to scream.

My hat's off to you, you've a great place to work, but I sure couldn't do your job on a daily basis.

Tim,

now your a guy I'd like to hang out with.. I am just getting into the yote hunting..but I am pretty much a greenhorn newbie at it..

any calls or tips you wanna e-mail me feel free...
I don't guide all the time I do it on a limited basis.. it is fun for me and the money is secondary.. my deal with the outfitter is I pick the guys I guide... I go high and hard.. I take it personal when I hunt ..someone paid alot of money to get the whole experience.. so thats what I am gonna give em...but I make it fun.. we shoot video.. take alot of pics etc...

This winter I am after some big yotes though they are cutting into my wifes pet deer herd... she said get 'em so i am gonna

Hey Whisper, wish I lived a little closer. Would like to work for a guide. Think it would be fun, my kind of fun. Sweaty back breaking kind of fun. But, too many kids and not enough time. Life is too short.

Here's the truth.. from a guides point of view.. now this is secret, classified stuff and I could get killed for telling you this..

shhh OK ....LOL

We all get together before every hunt and discuss areas, honey holes, and what to do.. yup thats right.... what to do, where to go. It is such a hit and miss thing. The areas you were in this summer may have had hillbilly jim bob and his cousin trampin though them for 2 days.. or maybe the animals moved out in the last day.. out here things change daily if not hourly.. It ain't as easy as ya think..
The reason most Western states make you have a guide is that your not used to this type of hunting, most don't posses survival skills to handle big mountains, where a wrong turn gets you a shallow grave or better yet non at all because you were dinner. The real good areas to hunt out here are true wilderness.. meaning it ain't no petting zoo and you could die from a mistake.
As guides we always here the "stories" of our hunters.. how they pulled off this spectacular shot.. or stalked so close he coulda kiled him with his bare hands..
honestly most guys have this ego macho thing that tells them they have to prove they are a man to us, and brag about how good of a hunter they are.. maybe it goes with the whole cowboy western thing i dunno.. but I personally never believe them .. It may be true but unless you did it in these hills it don't mean **** to us. It is really a different ballgame here. I get it every year at the sport and travel shows.. it goes like this...

ME an my wife are sitting in the booth.. the 2 guys holding a beer see my wife the get all giddy .. then they see me.. then stick out their chest.. tough guys right... then they see these photo's of big Elk and big Deer.. so they swager over to see the photo's closer.. never fails one guy tries to put the smooth talking stuff on my wife .. she ususally amuzes them by asking what he bought his wife today, she was so nice in lettin you come here you better take her somthing back.. that usually shuts him up.. then the other "super hunter" goes into this awesome story about he ( all 278 lbs. of him on the 5'4" frame he has ) stalked this huge bull for miles and finally put the sneak on him to 20 yards and then let him have it.. yeah ok.. so which TV show was that you stared in...

Beleive me we mean no offense but we hear alot of BS .. that why I say take the time to talk to your gide the night before.. be honest with him and let him know your abilities and experience.. If he is worth his salt he won't sleep much that night cause he'll be talking to the other guides comparing each others hunters and abilities and try to get the the right guides with the right hunters to the right spots, that matchs the right abilites. we all do this as we try to get some shut eye.. some of the best plans are made when we are in the bed rolls trying to figure out where to go...

Heck there has been a couple of times I had no clue until I saddled the horses... it just happens that way sometimes...

SSSSHHHHHH!!! Hear it? Real faint, long ways off there...it sounds like...banjos.
rolleyes.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.