When isnt it hunting anymore ?

The definition of hunting for sportsmen will always be subjective. Is driving down the road and making a 100 yd shot off the hood of your truck hunting? I have no problem with that if I'm meat hunting and culling does for the freezer off of hay fields and it is in fact hunting. I also enjoy getting out and walking many miles over prairies and mountains. I also bow hunt on occasion. There are a lot of ways to skin a cat and for different reasons.

Last year, after I shot my cow elk, the herd (of about 70-80) it was in trotted off only a few hundred yards. While I was dressing it out, I heard some shots to my left and behind me from the edge of the trees. A couple of "hunters" were shooting at the herd which was about 500 yds away from them. They shot about a half dozen times in two volleys. No elk dropped and they did not go out to follow up their shots and look for blood. If they had, they would have been tresspassing because the elk had jumped the fence onto private land. These guys were just slinging lead and hoping something would drop. The whole scene was disgusting from my view.

Unfortunately, incidents like this will get lumped into the category of LRH by many hunters who are ignorant of what really goes into LRH. Many more animals are wounded at much closer ranges by guys who don't know their rifles or practice their shooting skills but that doesn't matter. We are in a fish bowl and what we do is controversial. We are embassadors to our sport and IMO we need to take extra care of being good embassadors. I think for this reason, shows like BOTW all the more must emphasize need for pratice and skill development. Trying to make it look easy will only draw criticism. We also as individuals need to take care in how we present our sport. I will sometimes mention LRH to friends or associates, but I avoid debates. If someone starts to bristle, I leave it alone. The best thing to do is to take them out and show them what can be done and be sure you know what you're doing.

If you look in the dictionary for the definiton of hunting, you will find a very broad definiton. We tend to make it a lot more subjective. I agree with the sentiment that we are all hunters so let's avoid excluding others who dont do it just like us. We need to all stick together because there are those who would shut us down completely if they could.

Mark

Unfortunately, incidents like this will get lumped into the category of LRH by many hunters who are ignorant of what really goes into LRH. Many more animals are wounded at much closer ranges by guys who don't know their rifles or practice their shooting skills but that doesn't matter. We are in a fish bowl and what we do is controversial. We are embassadors to our sport and IMO we need to take extra care of being good embassadors. I think for this reason, shows like BOTW all the more must emphasize need for pratice and skill development. Trying to make it look easy will only draw criticism. We also as individuals need to take care in how we present our sport. I will sometimes mention LRH to friends or associates, but I avoid debates. If someone starts to bristle, I leave it alone. The best thing to do is to take them out and show them what can be done and be sure you know what you're doing.

If you look in the dictionary for the definiton of hunting, you will find a very broad definiton. We tend to make it a lot more subjective. I agree with the sentiment that we are all hunters so let's avoid excluding others who dont do it just like us. We need to all stick together because there are those who would shut us down completely if they could.

Mark

Here... here and a +1 at that. I agree completely and therefore will say no more.

Tank

Man-o-man...
You should have seen the catfight that took place on BRCentral 600-1000 benchrest page about a year ago about LR hunting!!! Almost 250 posts!!!! Wild, off the wall comments, name calling...finger pointing....ect.....Kind of fun in a way actualy :D .

I got in early....Someone sugjested that LR hunting takes away the animals natural and inherant ability to sence preditors and to avoid detection(or something to that effect). WELL DAH.......That is the point!!! And....aren't you doing the same exact thing when you put on $1000.00 worth of scent-loc cammo....covered in doe ****......sitting in your high-tech $500.00+ blind or tree stand which sits near your feeder or foodplot, using one of those high tech electric game calls while you aim your $600.00+ high-tech, ulta fast bow. and high-tech carbon fiber multi bladed arrow.....just to shoot a deer at 7 yards because it didn't have a clue you were there.....because you eliminated the deers natural........you get my point.

Trust me.....this is a no win argument....some people are just plain smarter than you and insist that they are on the moral high ground......Kinda like that "HOPE AND CHANGE" thing, or "CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN" thing. :D You just can't win an argument with these people....right, wrong, or pink.

On the other hand....to be fair.....they won't win me over, either!!! Because I am right!!!:D:D:D

Sometimes you get twice the hunt. That yote I busted at 880 yards yesterday fell in anirrigation pivot rut. Got out there and he was not to be seen. Had to hunt for quite a while to find the ole boy.

Jeff

Yes it is all about the personal choice in the manner that you want to hunt, I 've noticed that many on this site prefer one way of hunting, but practice many. I carry my long range rig and some times it only gets to shot 80 yrds., other times it gets to stretch its legs. THAT is why I got a kick out of a Jim Shockey episode a while back, a dude asked him what cartrige he recommended, his reply "338 ULTRA MAG"gun):)

Len and everyone else.

Len in response to your reply I never intended for this to become an ethical post nor a ****ing contest. I simply found the article interesting and new it would spark alot of controversy and more importantly an awareness to all of us that the perception is out there, thats all. I love shooting long range anytime I have a chance but its only paper for me so I cant enjoy the true hunting aspect . Sorry if the post offended anyone you can lock it if you like

Thanks, Stan

+ 1, with MontanaRifleman and liltank.
I guess the most important thing is that we HUNTERS have to protect and defend ourself from the nonhunting community. Together(long range, short range, arrow, shotgun, pistol,etc...) we can make a difference.

Its not hunting when he game is in a fenced enclosure,range has nothing to do with it.And this kind of "hunting" does nothing to propmote or protect our sport,exactly the opposite.

Last edited:
Its not hunting when he game is in a fenced enclosure,range has nothing to do with it.And this kind of "hunting" does nothing to propmote or protect our sport,exactly the opposite.

NONYA, Don't you ever shoot a nice montana elk with his back side up against a rock cliff or a nice muley surrounded by mountains with one way out and you just so happen to be standing between the muley and the only exit .....

It's not hunting when you can ride around in a truck in Montana spot big bull elk in a field and drive up to the land owner and offer him a trophy fee pay the funds drive back out lay the ole smoke stick over the hood of the truck and lay em down. Is this hunting??? :)

Bigbuck

NONYA, Don't you ever shoot a nice montana elk with his back side up against a rock cliff or a nice muley surrounded by mountains with one way out and you just so happen to be standing between the muley and the only exit .....

It's not hunting when you can ride around in a truck in Montana spot big bull elk in a field and drive up to the land owner and offer him a trophy fee pay the funds drive back out lay the ole smoke stick over the hood of the truck and lay em down. Is this hunting??? :)

Bigbuck
Bigbuck,I'd like to see those big bulls you just drive up to. Hunted last 2 yrs. w/ out seeing a 6x6 w/ gun in hand, and hard mtn. hunting in 2 states. BUY the way MT HAS NO high fence hunting, that is how Montanan's want it:)

Bigbuck,I'd like to see those big bulls you just drive up to. Hunted last 2 yrs. w/ out seeing a 6x6 w/ gun in hand, and hard mtn. hunting in 2 states. BUY the way MT HAS NO high fence hunting, that is how Montanan's want it:)

sp6x6, I had read a while ago on this site of someone from wyoming or montana doing just that driving up and offering a trophy fee to a land owner that had a monster bull in his field the snow had driven him down to the valley in this case though the land owner didn't allow the hunter to hunt own his property if he had shot the big bull I'm sure he would have thought it was hunting atleast to him. The only place I've ever hunted is public land in Colorado and hunting leases elsewere, for white tail no feeders or fences . I was in no way trying to say that you do not earn your game but these standards are hardly anything more than my opinion verses yours .:)

If it's legal it's hunting.... My opinion:)

Bigbuck

The guy I work for has a huge herd come down on the pivots during rifle season. I had 175 ish legal bulls with about 800 cows and spikes walk by me withing 50yrds one night. NO SHOT :rolleyes: There were 13, solid 300+ plus class bulls with 3 woppers, all come off public ground if you know where to ambush.
I hunted 4 days and had no shot, there are 67 houses around the ranch and only a few shooting lanes, then you have to have a single elk step into that shooting lane or if they have a clue they stay 500yrd away from any cover. You have one shot only.
Next year there should be some real nice bulls :D

IGUESS I'm at the wrong end of the state, it has to be easier than what I do, somewhere. Most peole in Mt around here dont see 13 , 300 type bulls in their hunting career. I WOULD GUESS that you have a wall of 6x6?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.