When is enough, enough.....

When I retired I decided that I needed a hobby that wasn't as physical as my job or as my other hobbies so I took up shooting and reloading. My main objective has been to achieve a accurate hunting load out to 700 yards. Over the last six years I have learned a lot and upgraded to better equipment. I reached a point about a year ago when I realized that I could achieve more accuracy if I would just shoot more. So now I use the equipment that I have and just shoot more.

It seems there is no end but my wife would disagree lol. This very subject came up bout a week back not a bad back just a week ago anyway she was working out in the basement and unfortunately I left the safe open not only was she surprised on how much I had accumulated over the years she found my cash stash. After a discussion I told her how I acquired this by trading and selling things I didn't use I also tried to get her to do the same when she wants new shoes or a purse she should sell and trade what she has well as you probably guessed there wasn't an agreement so now I double check and make sure the safe is locked lol 🤕
That one brought back a memory for me.
It's a good thing wife's in general don't have a clue as to how much firearms and reloading cost.
And we ain't talking.

I suspect more people have quietly said "enough" like myself...in 2020 I dropped from 7 calibers down to 2.

WHAT A RELIEF NOT HAVING TO FIND/FIGHT FOR COMPONENTS!

These 2 calibers like certain powders/bullets per caliber, so that's what I stock. I have since added 1 rifle/caliber that took me 6 months to find.

From a 223 to 6.5CM, I am deadly to any PA animal there is. (Deadly even to the elk here in PA.)

One has to (or should) match his weaponry to his intented use... AND...not buy the next shiny caliber that hits the market. OMG...guys still use the 30-30 to hunt deer...how do they ever manage w/o using a 7mmMag/300 Win Mag, etc!?

Question is...how many "safe queens" are you storing/feeding for not?
This is the smartest thing I've read all day. I no longer need to be on line until tomorrow. thank you and good night.

Hello everyone,
Long time listener, first time caller.
Question...where does a guy stop reaching for more stuff to buy, more equipment to try etc ect. I started reloading in an effort to try to create better ammo than the factory **** on the shelves. I consider myself an intermediate reloader who shoots factory rem/win/brn rifles...nothing fancy- certainly not a target or bench guy.
Where do you draw the line for a hunter/plinker? I started out adding a digital scale, then a bullet comparitor to up my odds for improvement. Now I'm waiting on bushing dies, micrometer seater dies, shoulder comparitors and am about to dive into more stuff to measure concentricity....having not fully mastered the bench full of items I currently own!

Where's a decent stopping point for a hunter and casual shooter? I feel like a crack whore jonesing for her next hit.....I can barely find enough components to complete a cartridge let alone think about getting into serious reloading.

Thinking I should have taken the blue pill...
There is no end to it. You can carry farther than anyone has ever carried it before and you are still not even half way to the end of it. Usually it's like an epifony hits you out of nowhere and you realize that you could have paid for a brand new 4wd deluxe crew cab truck with all of the money that was spent on it. Some folks end up like German Salazar or the Houston Warehouse shooter guys and realized that they are done with it altogether, never want to touch it or even enjoy talking about it anymore. I say this from experience: a fellow can work really hard at what he enjoys, and sometimes that fellow wakes up one morning and realizes that he's turned it into a job

Only you can answer that question. My take on your situation is, you are obviously wanting to push deeper down the rabbit hole. We are only here for a short time, so if the next loading trinket makes you happy, you havent reached your limit. Doesn't matter what you have now or if you need it. When its not exciting or fun, you should stop. Till then, no need to question it , just carry on !

I thought I had everything I needed, but NO. Last week I purchased an A&D scale. Said to myself "got everything I need". This week I am now trying to talk myself out of purchasing an AMP annealer. So, not sure it ever ends. Good luck
Totally agree with Rick Richard. I find the more I learn, the more new stuff I need. And, I'm always upgrading. And there will always be something else you want or need.
Face it, we are all perfectionists to some degree that are trying to achieve pure perfection. It's so gratifying when you accurize a factory rifle into a tack driver and find your perfect load. It also drives you bat s@$t crazy when things don't go as expected. That's where this site has become so valuable to me. The majority of the members here are awesome and so willing to help when you need it.
I started reloading during the Obama years and dealt with the shortages, so I learned to basically become a hoarder when I found components I needed. So, I've been able to manage the current storm we are experiencing, but going through my surplus faster than I'd like.
My wife just shakes her head when packages arrive. She asks, "don't you already have everything?" Of course I tell her NO.

Hmmmm. I just love shooting, and love developing very accurate ammo! I load 23 different ammo size/types, and fully prep all of them before loading! To be honest, only a few of these are for me, as most are for friends and family who don't load their own. I like helping them develop their pet loads! I also teach many of them the basics of reloading. I think every serious shooter should have at least one small and one large pistol, and also one small and one large rifle, Minimum! Plus a good shotgun, and even a BB gun for yard pests! And every truly responsible man should teach every member of his family to shoot, and protect themselves should they ever need to!

Hello everyone,
Question...where does a guy stop reaching for more stuff to buy, more equipment to try etc ect. I started reloading in an effort to try to create better ammo than the factory **** on the shelves. I consider myself an intermediate reloader who shoots factory rem/win/brn rifles...nothing fancy- certainly not a target or bench guy.
Where do you draw the line for a hunter/plinker? I started out adding a digital scale, then a bullet comparitor to up my odds for improvement. Now I'm waiting on bushing dies, micrometer seater dies, shoulder comparitors and am about to dive into more stuff to measure concentricity....having not fully mastered the bench full of items I currently own!

Where's a decent stopping point for a hunter and casual shooter? I feel like a crack whore jonesing for her next hit.....I can barely find enough components to complete a cartridge let alone think about getting into serious reloading.

Hello everyone,

I am one of those people who take every rifle I own, and here are many and adjust the cases, primers, powder and especially bullets until the rifle eventually shoots as far under a MOA as possible with a few being able to shoot one hole groups at 100 yards and less than MOA out to 600 and beyond. Keep in mind that this is with conventional shoulder held firearms weighing under 10 pounds and no fancy gadgets. In order to do this one must keep upgrading equipment as one changes the different rifles and calibers. I just started delving into the world of magnum rifle shooting with a Browning AB3 chambered in .300 WIN MAG. Since the .300 is much longer than the other cartridges I reload I decided that I needed a press with a larger opening to accommodate the longer cartridges, The powder measure maxed out at 64 grains of IMR4350 which left me trickling the remainder of the selected load onto the digital scale. New powder measure with 110 gr capacity on the way. The moral of this story is that if you stay in the game there never comes the time when you stop. It's an ever evolving game with new techniques, components and other toys that keep you spending your hard earned cash. Good Luck and Good Shooting. PS: The blue pill definitely will not help your shooting or choice to buy new things. If you are not careful the amount of cash available to spend on shooting sports can be reduced by shooting off other things.

Hi, my name is … and I'm a … if your looking for a support group this ain't the place but I feel your pain. It's an addiction and it never ends. Just when you think your satisfied and you have all you need, oh look there's a …. And you buy something else. I've got stuff I have never even used, but I've got if I need it. At least that's what I tell myself.🤣

Everybody's got an addition, drugs, alcohol, money, gossip, sex, work, etc. Ours just happens to be brass, lead and gun powder. 🤔 There are probably far worse things we could do. My wife and daughter say I need therapy. I tell them it is therapy!🙃 If you find the cure let us know! I will be glad to take some stuff off your hands so you want be tempted.😂

It really is a never ending quest once you start, but like BB said you often end up right back where you started, remember that! 🙂 A Dillion press is a wonderful thing but you can accomplish the same task and arguably just as precisely with a single stage RC for a third of the price. It just takes a little more time and effort. 🧐 Have a blessed day brother!