When do you turn your necks?

And? What is the conclusion?
If you want to play the long range hunting game, you should do everything possible to be able to place a cold bore round right where you want it at any distance, right up to and beyond your self-imposed limit. Can't be any clearer than that.

If you want to play the long range hunting game, you should do everything possible to be able to place a cold bore round right where you want it at any distance, right up to and beyond your self-imposed limit. Can't be any clearer than that.
You misunderstood my question. If you played with both you reach out to a conclusion, what was the information that lead to your conclusion and what was the conclusion?

You misunderstood my question. If you played with both you reach out to a conclusion, what was the information that lead to your conclusion and what was the conclusion?
In my experience, the more overbore a cartridge is, the more difficult it is to tune. They also have the shortest barrel life, so you want to do it with as few rounds as possible. When faced with that, I will prepare brass just like the benchrest guys do. Here is an example. Take a 6.5 Creed and a 26 Nosler. I would get some decent brass and see how the Creed shoots with little or no prep. You can always do more if you aren't happy with the results, have fun with it and shoot it allot. With the 26 I would start with the best brass I could prepare and work from there. Am I making any sense?

I did not find it worth it in .284 Win/180/184 Berger hybrids. In a 6 Creedmoor/106 EPS it might have helped ES/SD but I did not see any difference in my scores/X count at 600yds. Same in 6.5 Creedmoor/140 Berger hybrid. It did give more consistency in a 6.5 x55BJAI/142 Precision Ballistic in vertical/overall grouping at 1000yds and scores were better (better vertical dispersion)but no difference in ES/SD of significance. I tested the MV over a complete 600yd match in that rifle for 60 record shots and 8 sighters. The ES was in the low 40's and the SD was 18 or 19 IIRC but it shot very near 3" of vertical that day and 599/600 possible with 37x in less than calm conditions. The high velocity variations came as a surprise in light of how well the rifle shot. So my results varied depending upon the cartridge in question and my prep techniques. I do think that some brass will benefit more than others due to wall thickness variation and possibly composition. Bottom line is do what works for you. But it is not an absolute that turned necks will always be of a distinct benefit.

With the proper neck clearance the only thing that matters is what and how the inside of the neck touches the bullet....sorta.

In a comp gun I believe neck turned brass will out agg unturned over a period of time. Simply because brass flows forward, with properly turned necks with a cut into the neck shoulder junction area this gives the brass a place to flow to besides up into the neck........Certainly be hard to prove one way or the other, a guy has to do what gives him the most confidence in his stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.