When do you turn your necks?

"When do you turn your necks?"
When we see a lovely thing jogging by. (Sorry but that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title of the thread)
However women may prefer a different "view". Well I hope this doesn't result in being banned.

I think what he means is that if your barrel is a custom cut tight neck, you cannot turn necks AFTER firing, because the neck is too large, i.e., the large virgin neck will not chamber with bullet seated.

This is a true statement. For one example I have a 257 roberts AI. The parent case is the 7mm mauser. I FL resize 7mm . Which causes the throat to get thicker. I inside and outside turn the brass with my RCBS machine . then load and fire form.

Or I end up with 100's of 308 range brass and I want to make them into 260 or 243 Rem. FL resize and then turn because you can't chamber the round because the throat is to thick

So here's one to throw out there, just because I didn't find a thread that addressed it.
When do you turn your necks? By that I mean do you rip open the bag and chuck em up, do you FL size them, do you wait until they're fire formed?

Personally I wait until after fire forming and resizing, what's your preference or yields best results?
First thing I do is measure neck thickness for chamber clearance and consistency. Recently had brand new cases all within .0003 which fit chamber fine and just not worth turning that little off. Anneal, size, chamfer, and fire form.

I have a Hornady neck turning tool. I FLS my case-in this instance a Lapua 30-06. I set up the tool, and as a test tried to trim the case-I lubed the mandrel and neck of the case. I tried to slide the case over the mandrel and it did not go over it smoothly, I had to push it over it. Is this normal? When I finished the test trim, I removed it from the mandrel and it came off loose. That tells me the i.d. of the neck increased. Is this normal?

It needs to be run on a turning mandrel first it should be .002 under caliber my expanding mandrel is.001 under caliber

Last edited:
I have a Hornady neck turning tool. I FLS my case-in this instance a Lapua 30-06. I set up the tool, and as a test tried to trim the case-I lubed the mandrel and neck of the case. I tried to slide the case over the mandrel and it did not go over it smoothly, I had to push it over it. Is this normal? When I finished the test trim, I removed it from the mandrel and it came off loose. That tells me the i.d. of the neck increased. Is this normal?

Typically the expander mandrel opens the neck up slightly so the there should be some resistance felt.

Ideally the expander mandrel and turning arbor should be a matched set....it sounds like your expander may be a bit over sized or the turning arbor undersized if you are getting a sloppy fit.

I turn new brass.

no , you need to get an expander that is .001 or close .larger than your turning mandrel

if you anneal and run the mouth through the die a few time

loose is by far a worse situation

Thank you Bill- I didn't know that.
9A8E2A1A-2B4C-49ED-84E0-6346A6361E3B.jpeg
Just to make sure I didn't tell you wrong my turning mandrel is .262 my expander mandrel is .263 And of course 6.5 mm is .264

I have a couple issues here maybe you more experienced folks can help me with.
#1- I bought a new Hornady neck turning tool. When I insert my new case into the proper shell holder and tighten it down, and chuck it in my drill, and turn it on, it wobbles horribly! No way will I be able to turn it-it's that bad! #2- New cases will not fit over the mandrel supplied with the machine.-Is this why I need the expander mandrel you spoke of?- So, if I want to neck turn new brass, I would need to insert an expanding mandrel into my press? and then neck turn?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.