When do you stop chasing accuracy?

For me In a HUNTING RIFLE , its a 1 moa Groupe at POI!! An 8 inch circle or paper plate at 800 yards is a small target .and to be able to put all your rounds in to that, over and over is pretty damm good and I think acceptable hunting accuracy. Of course, getting to UNDER 1 Moa, is the fun of it and the reason were making ammo at 10pm and we cant wait to get to the range to test it. When I see those hunters on Best of the West TV show hit sheep at 900 yards, I wonder who the hell is reading the wind out there and I am impressed. I looked up a shooting school, in Alabama that has their students hitting GOLF BALLS, at 1000 yards. WOW!!!! that is really amazing to me.

For me In a HUNTING RIFLE , its a 1 moa Groupe at POI!! An 8 inch circle or paper plate at 800 yards is a small target .and to be able to put all your rounds in to that, over and over is pretty damm good and I think acceptable hunting accuracy. Of course, getting to UNDER 1 Moa, is the fun of it and the reason were making ammo at 10pm and we cant wait to get to the range to test it. When I see those hunters on Best of the West TV show hit sheep at 900 yards, I wonder who the hell is reading the wind out there and I am impressed. I looked up a shooting school, in Alabama that has their students hitting GOLF BALLS, at 1000 yards. WOW!!!! that is really amazing to me.

They edit out the missed and wounded game! 😉 memtb

I never tried a 700 to a 1000 yd shot. It, I feel really it takes a very accurate load to do that consistenly. There so many here that don't work on getting there groups together. I hope I have a rifle that will let me do it with accuracies that I need. I am going after P dogs. They should me get their. To see what is need to shoot the far.

I never tried a 700 to a 1000 yd shot. It, I feel really it takes a very accurate load to do that consistenly. There so many here that don't work on getting there groups together. I hope I have a rifle that will let me do it with accuracies that I need. I am going after P dogs. They should me get there. To see what is need to shoot the far.
Honestly, the load needs to be good but that's not the key to making those shots. A 1/2-3/4 minute rifle is plenty good enough. Obviously better is going to allow for a bit more room for error but it's more about shooting position and executing the shot correctly with good data. Then we have reading the wind. Equipment has a lot to do with it but it's definitely only part of the equation.

Working on breaking in the barrel of a new 7SS. Shooting 168 VLD-H and 175 EH. Both are shooting really well. This is with less than 20 rounds down the barrel. After at least 50 rounds and once it settles in on a load it likes, I will probably just call that good. Honestly these 5 shot groups are small enough for any hunting rifle.

Attachments

• 7ss 168 VLD-H.jpg
    7ss 168 VLD-H.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 7ss 175 Elite Hunter.jpg
    7ss 175 Elite Hunter.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 37
Honestly, the load needs to be good but that's not the key to making those shots. A 1/2-3/4 minute rifle is plenty good enough. Obviously better is going to allow for a bit more room for error but it's more about shooting position and executing the shot correctly with good data. Then we have reading the wind. Equipment has a lot to do with it but it's definitely only part of the equation.
If you are shooting P dog @ 700+yds, they are only a couple of inches wide. If it's 3/4" 700yds you are in the ball park. Wider than that you are looking at misses. If you are after deer or larger animals that somewhat of a different story. With my old 220 swift I was very consistance @ 400yds and less. Nothing under 200yds. It wasn't fair. With P dog shot under 400yds will be off limits. I do have a grandson, that I am going take with me on some of those dog hunting trips. He will allow to shoot the close one's. We'll work on extending his ranges. You get to be a lot better shot, shooting something very small. Nobody like to miss.

I wonder what the reels that hold their misses and wounded game are worth? :eek: I'm not discussing ethics, but you have to be able to hit what you are aiming at…..wind can be crazy in sheep country more often than not.

Last edited:
YES!!!!! and last night on Best of the West they had a special show showing 10 years of Long Range shooting on TV. All the game that was taken between 700 to 1000 yards. Of course, there had to be misses, and worse , there had to wounded game and the need for follow up shots. They even said , they got lots of hate mail over the years saying they should not be doing that kind of shooting, and showing it on TV . Interesting!!

Did they just CLAIM to be hitting golf balls at 1000 yards or did you see videos of them doing it? Golf balls at 1000 yards? Wouldn`t that be world class shooting?

Recent Posts