When do you stop chasing accuracy?

After listening to a recent Hornady podcast, I am in agreement that a minimum of 20 shot groups are better in determining the accuracy of a specific load and a rifle.

I've come to appreciate that a 1 MOA rifle can do a good job keeping groups within the size of the vitals of a whitetail deer out to 500-600 yards. That is as far as I plan to shoot any ways.

I've got 2 Tikkas that print about .85 MOA 20 shot groups and can bang steel with ease way out there.

I stopped on my Remington 700 22-250

Attachments

• Remington 700  22-250 Buris 6X24 009.JPG
    Remington 700 22-250 Buris 6X24 009.JPG
    464.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 22-250 Rem 700.jpg
    22-250 Rem 700.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 57
I have a Tikka T3X Veil in 6.5 PRC, I am loading 143 ELD-X not because I particularly care for them but that's what shoots so far. I am using RL26, Nosler blem brass and Fed 210M primers. If I have not had much coffee, it shoots .5 to .6 at 100. My intent is to use it for whitetail to 800 yards. My longest shot so far is 519 yards with a 257 weatherby. Is there any point looking for another 1/4" of accuracy since I will be shooting off a bipod in field conditions?
For my part when you get to the point where you're shooting 5 shot groups you can cover with a quarter consistently then the rifle and load are doing there part, then it's time to practice real time shots at distances you realistically intend to shoot with all kind of weather conditions then when you can consistently shoot sub moa at the ranges you're looking to make then you're ready to shoot an animal if the gun has enough power for a ethical kill

My personal goal has been 1/2 moa @100yds. If I have done everything I possibly can to the rifle and loads to achieve this and I can't make it happen, I sell it. This is for rifles I plan on hunting or target shooting with.

For a hunting rifle the most important thing is where the first round hits, the second most important thing is where the second round hits.
I chase smaller groups endlessly, I'm only in competition with my self. I have a couple of rifles that shoot fairly consistently at 1/2-3/4 moa in most conditions, which I have come to believe is what I'm capable of, again, in most conditions.
Some days I shoot better, some days I don't, but I fell like, with those rifles it is more me and not the rifle.
I have a CZ 457 .22 Mag with a Lilja barrel that shoots 1/2 moa at 50yds, this rifle is with me on all range trips and when I'm not sure if it is the rifle or me I shoot a mag from it and see which it is.

Determining accuracy for a 800 yard rifle at 100 yards is really a disservice-a waste of time and materials. You will not see vertical dispersion at 100 yards. Vertical dispersion is better seen at the very least at 200 yards, 300 even better, if it is occurring, and if so, it definitely needs to be "tuned out". Better to do load development at least at 200, once you think you have a couple of good loads, shoot them at 300. Bullets should not be "climbing" on target.

I have a Tikka T3X Veil in 6.5 PRC, I am loading 143 ELD-X not because I particularly care for them but that's what shoots so far. I am using RL26, Nosler blem brass and Fed 210M primers. If I have not had much coffee, it shoots .5 to .6 at 100. My intent is to use it for whitetail to 800 yards. My longest shot so far is 519 yards with a 257 weatherby. Is there any point looking for another 1/4" of accuracy since I will be shooting off a bipod in field conditions?
1/2 MOA is where I stop chasing unless I think I have a slam dunk load that will yield more velocity. Sometimes, I'm known to give up an eighth or quarter MOA of accuracy for significantly higher velocity. All depends on the bullet construction and what I'm doing with it.

Since my health no longer allows me actually to hunt, I have settled for the search for that "mythical" .000-inch group. I know it will never be achieved, but the sheer joy of chasing tiny groups is truly enjoyable.
I just can't do it! It's too frustrating for me. I'm just the opposite of what you said. Mainly because I don't have the time and it's not my main passtime when I have free time. I am satisfied at 1/2 MOA for a serious precision hunting rifle. I'm 100% done with load development if I achieve that UNLESS I need more speed from the load. Also, since I develop wildcats more than shoot SAAMI cartridges, I have to test more extensively to see exactly what a cartridge is capable of achieving. For this reason, I have only ever shot a handful of groups under 1/4 MOA. And now, I cringe at the thought of using up components if I have a load that is already sufficiently fast and accurate for the job it was designed to do. I totally get the thrill of the chase for others who seek perfection. I learn so much from you guys that has helped me achieve adequate results on my own projects without without much hassle. Sometimes I have a rifle that I feel "just ought to be able to do better." Then I see if I can eek an extra 1/8 - 1/4 MOA out of it, but that's rare. That come with more shooting and not seeing top results right away. When I pick a new one up and it prints a bug hole (rare) the first group or two and then I confirm that on another day and sight it in out to the maximum range I intend to use it and it still prints true, I'm done. Just had one of those, and it's a great feeling to know you got it right. I wouldn't fancy myself as the enthusiast equal to my peers for level of enthusiasm (or skill). I sure support those who do feel that drive and gnawing in the pits of their stomachs to achieve perfection (or at least see if you can get closer than you have before when you are your main competition). Keep striving!

I admire the folks that post an 800 yard target with a good hunting bullet that lays them into a group at the point of aim. They should hunt with it.
100 yard groups are a waste for getting much of take on what you can get at 800.
Also, folks tend to agonize and fixate too much about group size.
Focus on getting 1st shot cold barrel hits at distance beyond 100 and you have real assurance for hunting.
The majority of hunters can't shoot .25 MOA even with a proven rifle that can do it.
Sometimes it is physical limitations due to heartrate and breath control.
Best not to get too worked up about it and just do your own best.

Since my health no longer allows me actually to hunt, I have settled for the search for that "mythical" .000-inch group. I know it will never be achieved, but the sheer joy of chasing tiny groups is truly enjoyable.
closest you can easily get is a TacOps

I admire the folks that post an 800 yard target with a good hunting bullet that lays them into a group at the point of aim. They should hunt with it.
100 yard groups are a waste for getting much of take on what you can get at 800.
Also, folks tend to agonize and fixate too much about group size.
Focus on getting 1st shot cold barrel hits at distance beyond 100 and you have real assurance for hunting.
The majority of hunters can't shoot .25 MOA even with a proven rifle that can do it.
Sometimes it is physical limitations due to heartrate and breath control.
Best not to get too worked up about it and just do your own best.
JMO, but with a hunting rifle, what you get with that one first shot out of a cold ( and sometimes clean ) barrel is what`s most important.

JMO, but with a hunting rifle, what you get with that one first shot out of a cold ( and sometimes clean ) barrel is what`s most important.
99% of the time, the first shot is the only one that matters. Data from 10 and even 5 shot groups, or any warm barrel shot gives you data that has no bearing on the 1st shot data that means everything. It may even skew the center of your poi away from the the true 1st shot center you want.

I always test and hunt from a cold, fouled barrel. Once tested and fouled, no cleaning before hunt. Only tiny bit of Kroil followed by several clean dry patches. Then ready to hunt.

Last edited: