When do you stop chasing accuracy?

For me the unobtainable ultimate accuracy for any rifle is a constant challenge. With the new components available (bullets and powders) there is always something new to try.

Also, for those with throat erosion and this will make your head hurt-----flat base bullets may help with accuracy and velocity consistency.

I have a Tikka T3X Veil in 6.5 PRC, I am loading 143 ELD-X not because I particularly care for them but that's what shoots so far. I am using RL26, Nosler blem brass and Fed 210M primers. If I have not had much coffee, it shoots .5 to .6 at 100. My intent is to use it for whitetail to 800 yards. My longest shot so far is 519 yards with a 257 weatherby. Is there any point looking for another 1/4" of accuracy since I will be shooting off a bipod in field conditions?
I think you have answered your own question.
Since essentially you wont be shooting the same gun when hunting.

I have a Tikka T3X Veil in 6.5 PRC, I am loading 143 ELD-X not because I particularly care for them but that's what shoots so far. I am using RL26, Nosler blem brass and Fed 210M primers. If I have not had much coffee, it shoots .5 to .6 at 100. My intent is to use it for whitetail to 800 yards. My longest shot so far is 519 yards with a 257 weatherby. Is there any point looking for another 1/4" of accuracy since I will be shooting off a bipod in field conditions?
I had similar result with 143 ELDX and Berger 140 EH using H1000. Switch to 156 Berger EOL with BR2 primers and H1000...mv 2893, 5 shots one ragged hole at 100 yds. Great bullet for 800 yds: 1900 ft/sec, 1250 ft-lbs. Last season elk at 320yds. DRT

Last edited:
I exclusively hunt, I don't invest lots of time punching paper. If I get under 1moa at 100m then I'm satisfied. I do from time to time take shots with the same loads at 600-800 yds just to check on long range stability of the bullet.

I had great luck with cci 250s with the R#26, and this powder can be finicky.

Time for you to change bullets.

Berger 140g VLD hunting or 135 classics should give you a leg up on the 143's.

Make sure your barrel is darn clean!

It might be burried in this thread but what are your groups @ 800 looking right?

Right there. 10rds of factory 6mm creed.
20230115_125932.jpg

Accuracy. That`s POA vs POI. JMHO, but that`s my major concern in a hunting rifle. A .5 MOA group doesn`t mean much if it`s 6" from where you aim.

That 1/4" smaller group is going to be hard. I haven't seen too many factory rifles that will consistently shoot 1/4". I'd be more than happy with .5-.6" groups from a hunting rifle.

Just saw OP was a year ago lol

I like to be able to put all my shots into a 1 moa target at 100 yards. I like to see several 3 shot groups do this. Once it does then I take it to distance and then it's time to hunt. One other thing to mention is it's gotta do it day in and day out. Not just once in awhile. This is my requirements for my long range hunting rifles.

You may have shots outside of the moa circle eventually but I hope for it to not be very often and not far out. Shooter error, load issues ect. Nothing's perfect all the time.

We're trying for the highest probability of a good shot but there's never a guarantee. Not ever.

Recent Posts