When do you stop chasing accuracy?

Never - with all the new bullets and powders coming out, why stop now? Some shooters haven't realized this yet but reloading isn't a hobby, it's an obsession.

Never - with all the new bullets and powders coming out, why stop now? Some shooters haven't realized this yet but reloading isn't a hobby, it's an obsession.
I usually start chasing accuracy again when the supply I've laid in for a rifle is nearly exhausted and 1 or more components is unavailable/ discontinued. I have nearly 1/2 of my rifles shooting at least 1 discontinued bullet (most of those have other loads too), and a good portion are burning rl powders lit by fed. primers. Give this run a few more years and I'll be re-doing half or better of my loads. Who knows, I might even do some gun trading/ upgrading then too.

I shoot at the PNTC where they have a long range steel challenge 550-1100 yds. What they suggest is bring a rifle capable of at least 1" moa.
Myself, since I shot Benchrest, I strive to have all my rifles long range rifles to shoot under 1/2" and the ES is under 10.

This does not track with reality.

A 6" plate at 800yds is essentially .7 MOA. A half moa rifle would leave roughly .15 MOA on either side of the group if that group were fired dead center plate. A 1/4 MOA rifle would leave twice that.

Running mils at 800, the delta between a 10mph wind and a 11mph wind is a tenth of a mil commonly. That's .35 MOA. So, if you're off on your wind call by 1mph with a 1/4 MOA rifle, you still have a fair chance of hitting the target. With a 1/2 MOA rifle, your chances are massively worse. Then there's the reality that only the best of us can call wind under 1mph. Even fewer can do it at 800.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Thanks for using math to clarify your point. It is a great point.

I've ignored this thread since it's conception, and as it is now about to reach senior citizenship 😁…..I can't resist any longer!

This is strictly for myself, and no one else! I have many things going on in my life, and sadly shooting takes a "backseat" to life in general….. a little envious of those that do not have other things that must be done.

Once a load that adequately serves it's purpose "I'm done"! Finances have always impacted my shooting, from the time I first started hand loading @ age 14! While I can now better afford to "burn" components, 50+ years of being conservative with components cannot be changed!

If you have achieved what is within the practical capabilities of the firearm it's time to call it good. If the previously mentioned firearm has reached it's practical potential and you still feel the need to develop loads to their maximum potential…..get another firearm and start over with it!

If you just feel the need to burn components and strive for perfection….get a revolver, shoot it at 200 or more yards (fairly long range for revolvers) for groups. You will not only challenge the firearm but yourself! 😉 memtb

I dabble so it something to do. I'm not a heavy shooter, handloader or hunter. Too much of anything in my Christian life is considered an idol.

I dabble so it something to do. I'm not a heavy shooter, handloader or hunter. Too much of anything in my Christian life is considered an idol.
There's only one God. There's no mistaking that for me. God, Family, Country, All things Hunting/Shooting/Fishing. In that order. Having a forum name of 30-06, I'd have figured you for more of a Shooter. Zechariah 14.9. Has a good ring to it.

Last edited: