When are primer pockets too loose?

6x6 elk

I was reloading some 270 wsm this evening, using Remington brass and Winchester LRM primers. The brass is on its 3rd loading, but a couple of the brass, the primers went in with almost no resistance. I'm using a lee hand held priming tool. Is the primer pockets too loose at this point? Thanks for any advice. Using H-1000@ 68.5gr, shooting Berger140gr. VLD hunting.

Often, switching primer brands can prolong a cases usefulness. Not all primers are the same diameter. I find Fed215 primers to be larger than Winchester primers and switch to them if pockets feel loose.
As was stated, when primers fall out, it's a good indication you are running at excessive pressures, it makes no difference what load you are running, if pockets loosen that early you need to back off on the powder charge. A few loose pockets in a batch indicates either softer brass or you are on the verge of excessive pressure and need to drop back 1 grain.

Cheers.
gun)

I have a friend with a 300 RUM that I watched prime some cases by simply putting a primer on his bench and pushing the case down on top of it by hand. I don't think I would go quite that far but it worked for him.

Jack OConnor wrote that as long as the primers don't fall out during handling, your OK. Myself, if they go in with hardly any resistance, I jet them. If it happened on third firing on a standard case, I adjust the charge lower. Three firings in a magnum is OK with me if they have been FL sized, but normally I get more. I have had some Norma cases that were just soft, even though the charge was fine.

Jack OConnor wrote that as long as the primers don't fall out during handling, your OK. Myself, if they go in with hardly any resistance, I jet them. If it happened on third firing on a standard case, I adjust the charge lower. Three firings in a magnum is OK with me if they have been FL sized, but normally I get more. I have had some Norma cases that were just soft, even though the charge was fine.
This is most peoples mistake, obviously, if the cases are SOFTER than previous cases used with the same powder charge, then THAT powder charge was TOO MUCH for THAT BRASS.
This is why I said, it makes no difference what the powder CHARGE IS, if the primer pockets are opening within 3 reloads, it is FAR TOO MUCH POWDER FOR THOSE CASES.
I have Lapua brass in 300WM, it's no longer made, and I have used the SAME brass for near on 20 years! The same batch of 300 have had 10 firings each, pockets are still tight and they have been trimmed twice each. Yes, it is a target rifle with a custom tight neck chamber below SAAMI minimum spec, but I don't back off on the powder charge either.

lightbulb

If primer pockets get loose enough that the primer moves when the edge of the rim is tapped on the bench either tighten them or discard them.

Bad things WILL happen when pockets are that loose and an impact bullet puller is used.

Primer will go off and ricochet around the shop. Luckily the powder didn't ignite. One of the several times that I avoided death or destruction by pure luck......:roll eyes:

If you are tempted to use that loose of a primer pocket and have to pull bullets get one of those Grip N Pull things.......

Thank you guys for all the feedback. Primers are definately not falling out, and I cannot push them in with my finger. I was shooting 1grain under max with this brass, but it sounds like that is too hot. They are much more loose than the first time they were loaded.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.