When are gun manufacturers going to get it?

And here I am wanting to cut my 26" 7mm Rem Mag down to 24". Never had the longer barrel until this gun and it makes a difference in treestands, box blinds, and thick as dog hair field edges here in Eastern NC. I swear I'm having it cut this spring. None of the ag fields I have access to are longer than 550yards and that's why they make exposed dials doubt I'll miss the velocity.

But yes its because of selling to the unwashed masses and keeping profit margins. I hunt on a farm owned by such. Nice as can be but absolutely clueless about guns. He got a 700 CDL in 300win mag and a Leupold 4.5-14 30mm tube several years ago; shoots 150gr corelokts and if it hits the 8inch shoot and see target he is proclaimed good to go.

Why can't the major manufacturers get it right? Better B.C. bullets in all calibers and fast twist barrels and better length barrels. I mean come on. 20" creedmoor barrel should be threaded for a CAN. What do you think they are gonna put on it. Stop calling it a western long-range hunter or a long-range hunter when you build a 300 win mag with a 24-in or even worse 22-in barrel go ahead and put on a 26-in minimum threaded with a one and nine, one and eight twist. When are they going to get it? What are your guy's thoughts? Am I asking for too much? I mean the prices keep going up but I can't buy what I want without having it custom built which is what I have to do.

NEVER!!! They don't listen to customers. I've been ranting to Winchester that the 350 Legend with its .355 pistol bullets SHOULD HAVE BEEN A 358 LEGEND using existing .358 bulets.....180 grains up to 250 subsonics. :confused::confused::confused:

And here I thought factory rifles and ammunition were better than ever....

IMO, in some ways they are, in some ways they are not. Old rifles like my 1950 rem 722 in 257rbts have a wonderful 24" barrel and not a single stamped component. The new rifles are sporting new urethane recoil pads that are game changers in taming recoil and mostly come with adjustable triggers that are not bad. Cost cutting is part of modern manufacturing but I think there are great off the shelf offerings. Conversely, I still see quite a few posts about problems with custom platforms and not every load with a high BC bullet or high twist rate barrel, results in holy grail accuracy.

Man there are guns for all settings. I have a 26" 8tw 7max. My newest 7mm is a 7/300prc with an, oh my gawd, 22" barrel! (supressor use) I have 20-28" barrels. My 26" 300 norma improved is about smoked, and new barrel is ordered......in 22" omg! Just because you have a particular flavor doesn't mean everyone else likes your kool-aid.
I do believe that all factory barrels should be coming threaded, I do believe that the twist should be stamped on them.
Is a fast twist necessary? No.....all saami loaded factory ammo will run in standard twist rates. Handloaders be damned, it usually voids warranty actually. This is unfortunate for us guys who reload, but it's life and it'll never change. Seekins makes a 28N/7mm with 8.5tw, Savage/Christensen/Bergara make 300pc with 8-9tw, all 6.5cr/prc come in 8 or faster, 6mm creed 7.5, they're starting to catch up. Don't expect Winchester to ever change. Tikka/Sako has slow for cal twists cept 6.5 Look at weatherby, they make a great rifle especially since retooling in Sheridan WY. The only modern twist rates they have: 6.5 RPM, 6.5 CR, 6.5-300WBY. All the rest are slower than normal twist.
Us guys complaining are the same who buy a quality, 1200$ gun, spend another 1500$ on optics, 500$ on load supplies, bed the rifle, true action if necessary, new or modded trigger. We are NOT the guys who make gun manufacturers money unfortunately. It's Billy Bob or Ray Ray who stop in at the hardware store and get that tahseventy or dirty ot six, pawn it after season(or not) , and then maybe get another or two the next year. Volume makes manufactures money, appealing to the masses. Not catering to the 5% of boutique shooters who **** and moan cuz we can't run 195s in our 7 mag which is too small a case for them anyways!

The great masses of gun buyers with good credit are not as smart as this forum's members and the gun makers rigidly comply with majority demands. ... "tahseventy or dirty ot six, pawn it after season(or not)" -- what's in my gun safe with $$$ of stuff & work added.

They will never get it they manufacture guns for PROFIT not sportsman's usability!
Well, if a company has the right focus, you get profit by focusing for the usability for the broadest range of folks. That doesn't mean you can't do one offs, but the bulk of their business if from the mass market.

Go ahead and wish. Even if the factories do come around it will not shoot like a gun a good smith puts together. I guarantee it.
True, in my personal experience though the factory one will work like it should mostly out of the box where as the "gunsmith" built one most likely will not

I guess to make my point a little more clear. I was in a meeting and I was not paying attention to the meeting cuz they were very redundant. Some manufacturers are starting to pick up on it Browning being one of them, not a big fan of browning. You call it a long-range rifle yet you build a seven mag with a one and nine twist and a 24-inch barrel when I have one built the bare minimum I'm going to go with is a 26-in 8 twist threaded. The BC's on bullets everybody wants to get into the long range game yet they keep charging more and the BCs are staying the same I understand supply and demand The price keeps going up on all these guns and bullets but nothing is truly changing a savage ultra light now has a proof research barrel on it They put some lightning flutes or whatever you want to call them in the action and it's still a crappy stock yet you want 1500 bucks for it
Browning does have 7mag, 1:8 twist, fluted barrel, threaded muzzle, 26 inch, $1200. Maybe you should start to like browning?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.