When are gun manufacturers going to get it?

Go ahead and wish. Even if the factories do come around it will not shoot like a gun a good smith puts together. I guarantee it.
The point of a custom rifle is getting what YOU want. Trigger, barrel, stock, length of pull. Do the factories use a barrel such as K&P, Brux, Bartlein, Krieger, Hart? And these are only a few great barrels. Full length bedding? Lapped rings? Choice of trigger set as you want? Blueprinted and squared actions? NOT. Once in a while you can get lucky. But your chances are slim in a factory gun. Even if it does shoot well it will have a lawyer trigger and most times not a stock you like or barrel length or twist you desire.

C8F028CB-A7CF-453C-AE9F-3A7F718C44DF.jpeg

They make and sell what is most profitable and makes the best sales numbers. People here aren't the norm / mass market / demographic. The fact that you look at and pay attention to twist rate as it relates to length takes you well beyond the mass marketed audience

Most of us, have barrel lengths (contours), twist rates, bullet choices for specific purposes/application. For instance, ...

- My .270 AI has 30" SS Lilja with 1:8" 3G #6 to propel 165/175 Matrix VLD, and 170 Berger.
- My .30 LARA has 27" SS Lilja with 1:9" #6 to propel 230g+ Berger VLDs.
- My .264 WM has 28" X-caliber 1:7" #6 to propel the 156 Berger.

Met a guy that said he would never buy another gun from scheels because they sighted it in for him and he missed a deer at 100 yards with it after buying a rifle and scope for about 1000 bucks.
Point being, lot of guys don't even know how to sight in a gun....many don't even know what twist rate is.
Inch high at 100 and let her buck!!!!!

Met a guy that said he would never buy another gun from scheels because they sighted it in for him and he missed a deer at 100 yards with it after buying a rifle and scope for about 1000 bucks.
Point being, lot of guys don't even know how to sight in a gun....many don't even know what twist rate is.
Inch high at 100 and let her buck!!!!!

Yep!

Saw an ad today for a Springfield Waypoint bolt action. $2400. For a 20" barrel???? Cmon man!!!

Nothing is going to change anytime soon. Put your own rifles together and use the parts you want. Don't expect the firearms company to suddenly change, just do what Feenx and many on this site do.........get your own pieces and build what you want. As a sidenote since you focused on the savage ultralite in a post, I find the proof carbon bbl. and skeletonized trued melonite coated action are worth the selling price.....throw the stock and trigger in the classifieds and use what you want. They used to call it American ingenuity.............:)

Another reason you won't get what you want from a factory gun. 'You don't know' what you want. You think you do today, but 2 months into the build process you read to many raves about "X" and think maybe you shoulda went that way. How many countless threads and hundreds of pages have been posted just here on guys asking about barrel lengths, twist rates, chamberings, even down to lead and rifling type? And let's not get started on stock options. Point being listening to "us" provides way more questions than answers. It is easy to build what Walmart can sell. And as seen here, kudos to the gun makers and ammo makers for hearing us and making very consistent, accurate stuff we don't want.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.