What's your rifle lineup?

Like everyone else, my safe is full, too. I have three hunting rifles - MOA Rifles in 300wm and it shoots 210 vld bergers <3/8". I use this one for elk and long range Muley. My second is a GA Precision Xtreme Hunter in 6.5 saum and it shoots 140 vld less than 1/2" and I use it for antelope and muleys. My other hunting rifle is a GA Precision in 6 creedmoor and it shoots 105 vld into small holes too. I use it for varmits. Long way from West Virginia where I grew up, and lots of hunting over the past 50 years.

That's a very nice set of rifles. MOA and GAP want for nothing. Tough bill to swallow, but they don't lack anything.

Where in WV? I'm in Charleston

Not sure there's a dime's worth of difference, but Remington .260 with 140 gr berger in custom stock is hard to beat out to 1600 yards with good scope and may be lighter and/or less recoil than your Savage 6.5 WSM. Likewise, .284 Jarrett with the "new" 195 gr berger has excellent G1 BC versus anything 300 WM while being easier to shoot and easily capable of 2000 yard accuracy. Your 28 Nosler may be the same but no experience with it...

The WSM is gonna be an *** kicker, but I really want the energy. I think the Jerrett and NOS are comparable. I like the commercial support of the Nosler

The WSM is gonna be an *** kicker, but I really want the energy. I think the Jerrett and NOS are comparable. I like the commercial support of the Nosler
If you don't mind getting 1k rounds out of a barrel the WSM or Jerret are your ticket. If you shoot as much as i do overboar is not an option unless they start giving away barrels

I am big fan of 280 and 280AI for Mule deer, goats, and elk. I reload up for elk and down for goats. Love the 140 accubond for mule deer. I have a 25-06 for coyotes and antelope and a 300 WSM for elk. The 280 AI is prime for mule deer with 300 wsm as back up. The 25-06 is prime on goats with 280 as back up. 300 wsm prime on elk and 280 AI as back up. I downsized from 8 rifles to these three and have good back ups for each kind of hunt if I bang one up on a big hunt. If I had to downsize to one rifle to do it all, it would be the 280AI which is a great cartridge for reloaders out West in my humble opinion..

What bullet do you like in on 25-06? This is kinda the idea I'm looking for. I need to look into 280. Tough when I own a 7-08 and the 28 Nosler, but I keep hearing so much support for the 280 and 280AI. Not to mention the 284 win. Seems tough to go wrong with a nice 7mm rifle in North America

What bullet do you like in on 25-06? This is kinda the idea I'm looking for. I need to look into 280. Tough when I own a 7-08 and the 28 Nosler, but I keep hearing so much support for the 280 and 280AI. Not to mention the 284 win. Seems tough to go wrong with a nice 7mm rifle in North America
25-06 with 1-10 twist I'd go for velocity over bullet weight. Shoot a 100gr bullet. The Sierra 100Mk will kill anything up to deer size game.
I have a 284 Shehane, its a 284 blown out with a 30 degree shoulder. I kill pigs at 800 yards using the Sierra 183Mk. Longest kill on a deer with it was around 400. Live in Central Missouri if that helps on game size

Hi everyone, I usually just content myself to read yhe many comments and ideas of otherss who are much more savy than me, but the question of core rifle intrigued me. A week ago I just celebrated my 75th birthday, and I got a little nostalgic. Looking back on my hunting adventures, I started hunting groundhogs in the farm lands of upstate N.Y. State with my first rifle, a pre-war M70 in .30-06, and I still have it. Since then I graduated to hunting all over Alaska (lived in the Bush for 8 years) and the lower 48, New Zealand and six times to Africa. In 1972 I bought the first M95 .45-70 Marlin to arrive in Alaska and during the next 40 years killed 68 big game animals with a total of 72 shots. Yeah, I know it's "low tech" and demands that you get within several hundred yards to take a humane shot, but, lets face it, when the bullet is in the air, the hunt is over and the work begins. Over the years I've amassed dozens of long guns and have concluded that all I need is 4 guns, all of which are based on the incredible Blaser R93 format (or maybe thier newer version the R8). The ones I have are: .22-250, 6.5x55 Swede, 7mmSTW, and .375 H&H. With those 4 guns I can hunt any animal in the world with confidence. Scopes on three of them ar Swarovski 4.5-14x, with the .22-250 having a 6-20x Leopold. A Swarovski 1.5-4x graces the Marlin .45-70. Five guns, that's it. Oh yeah, and a souped-up AR to protect them. Best regards, Keith M. Sheehan

Hi everyone, I usually just content myself to read yhe many comments and ideas of otherss who are much more savy than me, but the question of core rifle intrigued me. A week ago I just celebrated my 75th birthday, and I got a little nostalgic. Looking back on my hunting adventures, I started hunting groundhogs in the farm lands of upstate N.Y. State with my first rifle, a pre-war M70 in .30-06, and I still have it. Since then I graduated to hunting all over Alaska (lived in the Bush for 8 years) and the lower 48, New Zealand and six times to Africa. In 1972 I bought the first M95 .45-70 Marlin to arrive in Alaska and during the next 40 years killed 68 big game animals with a total of 72 shots. Yeah, I know it's "low tech" and demands that you get within several hundred yards to take a humane shot, but, lets face it, when the bullet is in the air, the hunt is over and the work begins. Over the years I've amassed dozens of long guns and have concluded that all I need is 4 guns, all of which are based on the incredible Blaser R93 format (or maybe thier newer version the R8). The ones I have are: .22-250, 6.5x55 Swede, 7mmSTW, and .375 H&H. With those 4 guns I can hunt any animal in the world with confidence. Scopes on three of them ar Swarovski 4.5-14x, with the .22-250 having a 6-20x LeopoYld. A Swarovski 1.5-4x graces the Marlin .45-70. Five guns, that's it. Oh yeah, and a souped-up AR to protect them. Best regards, Keith M. Sheehan

Happy 75th Keith! You sound like one cool dude!

Hi everyone, I usually just content myself to read yhe many comments and ideas of otherss who are much more savy than me, but the question of core rifle intrigued me. A week ago I just celebrated my 75th birthday, and I got a little nostalgic. Looking back on my hunting adventures, I started hunting groundhogs in the farm lands of upstate N.Y. State with my first rifle, a pre-war M70 in .30-06, and I still have it. Since then I graduated to hunting all over Alaska (lived in the Bush for 8 years) and the lower 48, New Zealand and six times to Africa. In 1972 I bought the first M95 .45-70 Marlin to arrive in Alaska and during the next 40 years killed 68 big game animals with a total of 72 shots. Yeah, I know it's "low tech" and demands that you get within several hundred yards to take a humane shot, but, lets face it, when the bullet is in the air, the hunt is over and the work begins. Over the years I've amassed dozens of long guns and have concluded that all I need is 4 guns, all of which are based on the incredible Blaser R93 format (or maybe thier newer version the R8). The ones I have are: .22-250, 6.5x55 Swede, 7mmSTW, and .375 H&H. With those 4 guns I can hunt any animal in the world with confidence. Scopes on three of them ar Swarovski 4.5-14x, with the .22-250 having a 6-20x Leopold. A Swarovski 1.5-4x graces the Marlin .45-70. Five guns, that's it. Oh yeah, and a souped-up AR to protect them. Best regards, Keith M. Sheehan
1 gun for any game in the world the old school 45-70 is hard to beat. Easy to load for brass is easy to find and can cast your own bullets

Thanks for your contribution, and happy birthday! I've never shot a Blaser, but I've heard wonderful things. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for one. Sounds like you've had them all and settled on a winning platform

I'm at a point where I need to thin the heard. My safe is full and I have a few duplicates. What is your handful (more or less) of preferred hunting bolt action rifles and calibers?

I think my planned core group of hunting bolt guns is as follows (in order of caliber) -

Savage 93 in 17 HMR, 17 gr VMAX
CZ 527 in 20 Vartarg, 32 gr VMAX
Savage 12 LRPV in 20 Dasher, 55 gr Berger
Savage MKII 22 LR, 40 gr CCI
ULA in 243, 90 gr Scenar
Colt Lite Rifle in 25-06, 110 gr ELD
Savage 16 in 6.5 WSM, 140 gr Berger
Remington model Seven in 7mm-08, 120 gr NBT
Custom Remington 700 in 28 Nosler, 195 gr Berger
Kimber Mountain Ascent in 308, 125 gr NBT
Kimber American 300 WSM, 180 gr TSX
Ruger 77 in 375 Ruger, 260 gr NAB

Considering buying a Bergara ridge 300 WM to replace the Kimber. Ease of finding ammo in remote places/threaded barrel interest in owning a Bergara is motivating that.

I like light rifles, but am finding out that they're not easy to shoot long distance with. What am I missing out on? Trying to have a well filled out bolt gun selection that I can have a rifle to hunt just about anything.

Thanks guys
Buy a 300 Win Mag Accounts for virtually any problem to vast distances normally in a package that you can comfortably carry and also find ammunition for it anywhere in the world

My current lineup I am wanting to add more to the collection but not sure what to add
Ruger 10/22
Ruger M77 Hawkeye 30-06
Benelli Supernova 12ga
Montana Rifle Company X2 in 28 Nosler which is a tack driver I shot 2 antelope 300 yards plus with it this year and mule deer at 575 with us I've been shooting the 175 Nosler accubond long range out of it and have been beyond happy

I too have more than I need but who's counting.

.22lr- tactical solutions
Rem. 552
223- ar 15
308-ar10
700 rem 2
3006- 742 rem 3
300 wm 700 rem
270 WYB 700 rem
6mm Creedmoor 700 rem

The 5 700's have been worked and have Rock bbl's.
If I'm going to get a new gun I will find one of the early 700 and build on that. No comparison between an early one and what they make now.

Ps. The two hits were made by me by me shooting the 270 WYB with 165 Matrix vld bullets. 850 yds off of sand bags on the hood of a truck. The other hits were by my shooting buddy who was upset that he couldn't hit the bull.

Last edited:
I'm with you..... I'd like to streamline myself

.17hmr(s)
22lr(s)
22mag
223(s)
6.5 Creed
6.5 Swede
300 BO(s)
300wsm
338lm

I don't even remember what else. It was fun at first but getting old...... I reload for them all

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts