What's Your next Rifle Build? (Just for Fun!)

My 1st custom rifle was a 30-338 Lap imp. I burned it up a few years ago and rebarreled it to a 338 Lap imp. We have since made our own reamer for close to the same thing, but my original rifle out runs the reamer that we have by about 100 fps. So we sent in 3 pcs of fired brass to Manson Reamers to have it duplicated. That original rifle ran 178g bullets at 3700 fps. Was stinking fun.

So here is my build.

Found in stock a Defiance Deviant with integrated pic rail in stock. Ordered
AG Alpine Hunter stock
Bartlein stainless heavy varmint LH twist gain 9" to 8" finish 30" at .815" muzzle, spiral fluted
Small Pain Killer brake
Hawkins bottom metal
Trigger undecided, new Bix & Andy possibly.
Topped with Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 UHD FFP 4.5-29x56 moa APLR5 reticle

Hoping this one will push the 181g Hammer Hunters at somewhere close to 3700 fps. The 1st one was on a Lilja barrel and are not known to be fast, so crossing my fingers. Looking forward to this one. These rocket sleds are so much fun! 3700 fsp with a 181g Hammer Hunter and so little recoil that any kid can shoot it, is just crazy cool. Hoping to be able to hunt with it this fall.

The 338 ELR build is probably a year away maybe sooner if I can get some funds. I do have to give a special thanks to Mr. Phil Cashin, his great wife Kelli and the staff from MPA for inspiring us on our business and helping us with components. We plan on utilizing MPA Barrels, Chassis and their components on our builds. If you anyone is aware Phil has been very instrumental in the advancement for the PRS "Technology" , Phil is an avid PRS shooter and more than that he is there at every match to "Listen" to the SHOOTERS on what is needed. That is why Coyote Shadow Tracker, LLC is purchasing and using MPA products. Also a special thanks to Mr. Bob Pastor "From Deep in The Lathe Cave" Viper Products for providing Jill and I with chambering products and technical support.
Builging two at the time for BR and "F" class

6.5 X 284
Impact or Curtis actions
MPA/Spencer Barrel SS 29" 1.25" straight, 1:7.5 twist
Jewel or Triger Tech
MPA modified chassis
Vortex Razor HD II 4.5X27 FF EBR-2C

6mm BR
Impact or Curtis actions
MPA/Spencer Barrel SS 29" 1.25" straight, 1:7 twist
Jewel or Triger Tech
MPA modified chassis

Currenty build PRS
.260 Rem
Defiance Divent Action
Bartlein Barrel SS 26" Heavy Palma 1:8 twist MPA Brake
Jewel Trigger
ACIS AX Chassis
2022 Build 338LM Ai. It just started on the drawing board. Getting a lot of info from "Ultimate 338LM Build" post. Finally decided on the 338LM Ai. Currently purchasing the first components -338LM brass. Will use MPA chassis & barrel, trigger is between TT Diamond or B&A. The action is up in the air. Betweem Impact & Defiance. Scope will have to be someting High power so you can see the Luna Module that was left on the moon.
The 338 ELR build is probably a year away maybe sooner if I can get some funds. I do have to give a special thanks to Mr. Phil Cashin, his great wife Kelli and the staff from MPA for inspiring us on our business and helping us with components. We plan on utilizing MPA Barrels, Chassis and their components on our builds. If you anyone is aware Phil has been very instrumental in the advancement for the PRS "Technology" , Phil is an avid PRS shooter and more than that he is there at every match to "Listen" to the SHOOTERS on what is needed. That is why Coyote Shadow Tracker, LLC is purchasing and using MPA products. Also a special thanks to Mr. Bob Pastor "From Deep in The Lathe Cave" Viper Products for providing Jill and I with chambering products and technical support. Bob and his wife Carol were extremly generous in providing (giving) us with equipment and materials to get us started in business.

What's your next Rifle build?

What caliber?

Are you using a specific action/barrel/stock/trigger?

Are you building a rifle by simply putting a good scope and rings on a factory rifle?

What's your intended purpose?

Here's mine (I'm stuck between a few)

1. Ultra light wieght 6.5-284 (defiance action/swaro Z5 scope)
2. Budget 22-250(savage action/shillen barrel/boydes stock)
3. 223 trainer (tikka or Savage with sig tango4 scope)
4. Precision 22LR
5. Built up ELR rifle in either 338LM or 338NM.
For the ELR do the improved version. Been there. Steel Barrel. Aww came in on email - just saw its an old post ….

Last edited:
The 338 ELR build is probably a year away maybe sooner if I can get some funds. I do have to give a special thanks to Mr. Phil Cashin, his great wife Kelli and the staff from MPA for inspiring us on our business and helping us with components. We plan on utilizing MPA Barrels, Chassis and their components on our builds. If you anyone is aware Phil has been very instrumental in the advancement for the PRS "Technology" , Phil is an avid PRS shooter and more than that he is there at every match to "Listen" to the SHOOTERS on what is needed. That is why Coyote Shadow Tracker, LLC is purchasing and using MPA products. Also a special thanks to Mr. Bob Pastor "From Deep in The Lathe Cave" Viper Products for providing Jill and I with chambering products and technical support.

2022 Build 338LM Ai. It just started on the drawing board. Getting a lot of info from "Ultimate 338LM Build" post. Finally decided on the 338LM Ai. Currently purchasing the first components -338LM brass. Will use MPA chassis & barrel, trigger is between TT Diamond or B&A. The action is up in the air. Betweem Impact & Defiance. Scope will have to be someting High power so you can see the Luna Module that was left on the moon.
The 338 ELR build is probably a year away maybe sooner if I can get some funds. I do have to give a special thanks to Mr. Phil Cashin, his great wife Kelli and the staff from MPA for inspiring us on our business and helping us with components. We plan on utilizing MPA Barrels, Chassis and their components on our builds. If you anyone is aware Phil has been very instrumental in the advancement for the PRS "Technology" , Phil is an avid PRS shooter and more than that he is there at every match to "Listen" to the SHOOTERS on what is needed. That is why Coyote Shadow Tracker, LLC is purchasing and using MPA products. Also a special thanks to Mr. Bob Pastor "From Deep in The Lathe Cave" Viper Products for providing Jill and I with chambering products and technical support. Bob and his wife Carol were extremly generous in providing (giving) us with equipment and materials to get us started in business.
B&A 2 Stage Tac Pro is very nice - BUT once you put on one you need to put on others. Switching from light one stage rifle back and forth with two stage rifle one learns to know which is switch!

Litterally just finished one yesterday. A precision rimfire build. I also have another rimfire build in the works currently. Ultimatum deuce, ibi 22" 1:12 twist and a ks arms 1:10 twist 22" mtu, tt diamond, krg whiskey 3 most likely (I have one here ready for it, but may go into a mpa instead), apex rival 4-32x56.

Vudoo 360, ibi 22" 1:12 twist, mdt acc, tt diamond flat, with an apex 4-32x56 on it.
98131E5C-466C-4EB5-96FF-3330F9DB2A64.jpeg

As far as any others on the list, I'm kind of debating a rimx hunting build 22, and working on a 270 wsm build for the 170's. The 270 build as the plan goes so far, manners lrh, ks arms barrel, falkor or lone peak action, tt diamond.

Just finished mine.
savage 111 action and bolt
barrel built by "preferred barrel blanks" stainless chambered in 260 Remington, 1:8 twist, taperless 810 contour, barbed wire fluted with brake
Stock is a Boyd's prairie hunter in pepper laminate, glass bedded lug and action, aluminum front pillar bedded with kick-eez recoil pad
10 round mag
Burris Signature HD 5-25x50 ffp illuminated center crosshair in 6.5 reticle, warne rings Burris base
this thing shoots magnificent

Attachments

• 9076EBB7-B907-4759-9A9A-40035C38D05E.jpeg
    9076EBB7-B907-4759-9A9A-40035C38D05E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 050F4F4B-2CCB-450A-865E-4C44B0EFBB81.jpeg
    050F4F4B-2CCB-450A-865E-4C44B0EFBB81.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
  • 799335D3-A810-4470-AD92-F05E150F2668.jpeg
    799335D3-A810-4470-AD92-F05E150F2668.jpeg
    942.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 7628CAFC-C9CE-4A4A-8995-50F38E871B47.jpeg
    7628CAFC-C9CE-4A4A-8995-50F38E871B47.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • EBF1A46A-DD44-4667-BE62-76A17AE1742A.jpeg
    EBF1A46A-DD44-4667-BE62-76A17AE1742A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
Next project:

20 inch C:F 9T 300WM suppressed with AAC Titan QD coupled to 3/4x24 90 tooth Titan brake. McM molded in woodland camo HTG. Blank is coming around 5-6 months time frame, can on eForm4, stamp should be arriving in about the same time. Reamer is a modified A191 MK248 Mod0. Scope is most likely another March 2.5-25x52 MTR5 reticle.

I will do the metal work, one of my buddies will work on the furniture.

I have another two builds going on right now. Again, Axisworks is building them both.

#1:
25 Creedmoor
Kelbly Nanook SA
26" 1:7" Bartlein M24 CF
TBAC CB w. TBAC Ultra 7 or Dominus
Manners LRH w. M5 mini chassis
Hawkins M5 Hunter DBM w. Accurate .308 mags
Triggertech Diamond
Seekins 30mm. 87" "medium" rings
Tangent Theta TT315M Gen 2XR
Flatline Ops level

#2:
Super secret cartridge
Kelbly Nanook
22" Bartlein #13 CF
TBAC CB w. TBAC Dominus
Manners LRH (will be bedded)
Hawkins M5 Oberndorf BDL bottom metal
Wyatt's extended box, spring, and follower
TriggerTech Diamond
ARC M10 30mm "low" rings
Tangent Theta TT315M Gen 2XR
Flatline Ops level

I have yet to build anything and the way life is going it's gonna be a good while yet :). But I have a few I really want to try.

At the top of the list is a .30 xc. .33 xc necked down, very similar to a .300 raptor by Kirby Allen or a .300 high counter magnum by Jeff broz. Donor action will be a savage 112 magnum target. Single shot bolt, rigid as all get out with the solid bottom. At least a 30 inch pipe. I love fast 30s and always will.

The other two big contenders are

a truly big 6mm of some kind, starting at 6mm-06 and going up.

- a .470 capstick (the full length hh case with no taper to shoot .475 bullets), perhaps on a budget friendly zastava controlled feed win 70 clone rebarrelled - they're good guns and you can't beat the price for a new manufacture control feed action. No scope would ever touch this gun.

My centerfire "next" is kinda bipolar. Maybe a ridiculous overbore 6mm probably a prc or wsm based variant. Or an ultra compact bolt 223 for plinkimg/offhand practice.

Rimfire side an Owyhee keeps catching my eye, which is odd as it's a bit pointless in a safe with lots of takedown guns. Flip side is a dupe of my main hunting rifle in 22lr. Just as soon as someone makes a flush mount kit for a rimx vudoo, stilled xr.

Working on a 25x280AI. Just waiting on a few parts and time to spin it up. I have a HS precision stock, Curtis action, bartlein 7.5tw at 26" medium Palma and 135's. Waiting on reamer and more retumbo.

Next one will be a 25 Grendel on a howa mini action in a chassis. Probably a carbon 22-24" 7.5tw to shoot the 90-100gr hammers or the 115vld's I have.

Most of my dang guns end up weighing well over 10#. So on this next rifle I told myself to try to keep it well under 8# lol

And yes I have a quarter bore obsession!

My centerfire "next" is kinda bipolar. Maybe a ridiculous overbore 6mm probably a prc or wsm based variant. Or an ultra compact bolt 223 for plinkimg/offhand practice.

Rimfire side an Owyhee keeps catching my eye, which is odd as it's a bit pointless in a safe with lots of takedown guns. Flip side is a dupe of my main hunting rifle in 22lr. Just as soon as someone makes a flush mount kit for a rimx vudoo, stilled xr.
6SST?
Wicked fast 3400+ w. 115s. Headstamped ADG brass.