What's your next build.

DJ Fergus

What barrel contour & length?
Fluted, carbon or standard barrel?
Cartridge & twist?
Action?
Stock?
Muzzle Brake, no muzzle brake or sup.

I'll play. I have most of the parts already but couple decisions to make still.
Still on the fence between 20" and 22". It's a proof sendero lite contour stainless steel Bartlein 1:9 twist 30 cal. I'm going to have LRI flute with their "Pattern X".
It will be chambered in another 300 Sherman Shortmag.
This will be on a Bat Bumblebee set in an Allterra Arms stock with hawkins m5 hunter bottom metal and magazine. Topped off with seekins rings and a Leupold mark 5hd 3.6-18.
Most of the time it will have a dead air nomad ti suppressor on.

6.5-284. I know that is my next cartridge… I have a 280 Ackley from MOA Rifles that shoots well but that I'm not crazy about…since buying it I have figured out that I like a slightly different stock style and like it a little heavier…so Dallas Lane is building me a new one and I should have it soon.

So my dilemma is whether to rebarrel that to a 6.5-284 or get a build exactly how I want it. I think with a heavier barrel, new cerakote job, lighter shooting cartridge, and it will be just fine. Plus that option costs 1/5th of a new custom, so that is likely the path I'll take.

If so, it is a McMillan Hunter stock with Edge, MOA action, Jewell, and likely a benchmark barrel, although maybe a Bartlein, with a brake in maybe 25" and fluted. Would like to do a Bartlein #3 or benchmark equivalent, and it will have an ATACR 4-16 on top, unless they announce a 4-20 SFP at SHOT. I may go for this cerakote on the stock, and either an olive or FDE barrel.

I may pull the trigger here in the next week.

1E1F5834-CDB6-4737-9E9B-13E092F02F6E.jpeg

Last edited:
What barrel contour & length? Proof Sendero, 22-24"
Fluted, carbon or standard barrel? Carbon
Cartridge & twist? Probably .28/.30 (Nosler/Norma or PRC?)
Action? Defiance or Terminus
Stock? Gunwerks Magnus
Muzzle Brake, no muzzle brake or sup. (brake)

Been keeping an eye out for a used GW but I think I'd rather go pre-fit for easy caliber change. Problem is I may have to put a McWhorter on the chopping block before I do anything.

What barrel contour & length?
Fluted, carbon or standard barrel?
Cartridge & twist?
Action?
Stock?
Muzzle Brake, no muzzle brake or sup.
Bartlein 3B 25"
Standard. I can't see paying extra for lower accuracy potential. Although I think I am way over stating this by even mentioning it. Seems like carbon barrel accuracy is nearly the same as std barrel now.
28 Sherman Mag
Bighorn Origin LA mag
Timney Trigger
KRG Bravo. This thing seems like it does what I want. That is surprising since they are so reasonably priced!
EC Tuner Brake…..not sure, but I want to try a tuner to speed load development!

No date or commitment but I'm wanting a big boomer.

Def anti or tenacity.
338 lapua improved.
Bart 3b at 26 in a 9.5 twist and a brake or a Proof Sendero.
Mcm game warden in edge or similar AG.
TT Diamond.

VX6-HD

Should be eight at 10 pounds ready to hunt.

I like the proof for running a larger diameter muzzle brake and having it the same profile as the barrel. But it adds to the build cost for nothing but astetics As said above, the CF barrels are equally accurate to steel of the same weight but don't seem as forgiving or easy to tune.

I think I might take my 6.5PRC barrel off my Tuebor action and have Bartlein spin up a carbon 20" 260 barrel. That'll be nice hand handy to shoot suppressed with the Greyboe stock.

Another .270TH
27" - 28" carbon barrel Sendero contour
1:8tw 5R
Freebore added to accommodate 156HH
700LA to max COAL
Light weight stock adjustable comb TBD
3 - 8# jugs of RL26😂

Looking for a budget, .300WM, LR moderate thumper and have started to recon pawn shops & LGS'.

It will be:
Rem 700 long action, magnum bolt face, single shot
McGowen light Palma contour 28", .300 WM, chamber cut for 3.6 COAL (dummy round provided, 200 or 225 grain bullet), 8 or 10 twist 5R
Timney trigger of some Rem 700 type.
Steel Picatinny rail of some type, Warne or Leupold, epoxy bedded & secured with 8-40 screws, 20 MOA.
Richard's target, laminated thumb hole ADL stock - magazine well blocked off with wood/epoxy & Score High follower epoxied to action, bedded with J-B weld steel epoxy.
Looking for good deal on used Leupold max 20X, 30mm scope.
Burris Sig, 30mm rings.

Expect to pull bolt to unload, loaded round. Ultra Mag Length action also considered.
Will augment existing FN BR action rifle used with .300WM 3.60 COAL ammo.
Working on growing a small bucket of .300WM brass. Will do work myself except barrel stuff & drill-tap. Need hogshead of RL26.

Last edited:
Bartlein 3B 25"
Standard. I can't see paying extra for lower accuracy potential. Although I think I am way over stating this by even mentioning it. Seems like carbon barrel accuracy is nearly the same as std barrel now.
28 Sherman Mag
Bighorn Origin LA mag
Timney Trigger
KRG Bravo. This thing seems like it does what I want. That is surprising since they are so reasonably priced!
EC Tuner Brake…..not sure, but I want to try a tuner to speed load development!
My thoughts exactly about CF. 3B is just as good if not better. I've had both a CF and fluted 3B. Significantly less mirage with the 3B