Whats your favorite long range rifle ?

I own a Weatherby Mark V Delux , chambered in .270 Weatherby Mag. A #2 , 26 inch barrel. . I like it better that my 300 Weatherby mag. It took two Mule Deer in Wyoming in 1979. The guide estimated the range to be nearly 600 yards. That was very far , in those days. 130 Grn Sierra Boat tail Bullet, at 3375 fps. Set for a 300 yard zero. IMHO it is an elegant , easy to shoot rifle ! That's my favorite!!

my 6.5cm. 147ge eldm 2750-2800fps. im assuming eldx about that or faster
IMG_6275.jpg

. .270 to 300WM to 300 PRC. I almost bought a 300UM till I saw the 1/10 twist. I really wish I had skipped the 300 WM and bought the 300 PRC. The .270 was a great rifle too but I wanted more horsepower for elk at distance

Last edited:
I love my Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in .270 Weatherby Mag. Brand new in 1979 . I put a Leupold 3.5X to 10X Vari X 3 on it. Took it to Wyoming and shot two Mulies at a bit over 500 yards with Sierra 130 Grn Game Kings . The following year (1980 ) , I took a small Spike Elk in Colorado. Used a load with Speer 150 Grn Grand Slam Bullet. These bullets were considered excellent game bullets way back then. Boy what a Rifle!!! Sorry to all , for the redundant post.

I gotta say that many of the rifles shown here are HEAVY for hunting rifles to be carried for hours in the field.

As you can see (on page 11) I have a light rifle. That 6.5 PRC X-Bolt Pro has a carbon fiber stock, fluted barrel and bolt, light Talley rings, etc. and comes in at 6 lbs. 3 oz. "naked".

My one concession to weight is the 30 oz. Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scale with illuminated G3 reticle. I wanted mil/mil turrets and that reticle and an illuminated abbreviated Xmas tree reticle all in a quality scope. That scope had all those features but 30 oz. is not a "light" scope by mountain rifle standards. However it does have the necessary magnification for hunting in Nevada. I could have saved 2 oz. by going with no illumination but illumination is vital in some situations like a dark background or in a dense woods on an overcast day.

Maybe some of the heavy hunting rifles shown here are "bean field rifles" meant for hunting from a tree stand. I hope for their owner's sake that is the case. Otherwise they are going to need an ATV to haul them around.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I guess the parameters of what is going to be done with the rifle dictate what the rifle will weigh. I believe that the "long range" moniker means different things to different individuals, shooting different animals, metal or other competitions.
If you are only shooting varmints, antelope, deer and metal at a competition, sure those "lightweight" rifles shooting less than thirty caliber are fun to carry. Shooting at a metal plate is far different from shooting at an animal that deserves our respect and should be taken cleanly and humanely. But are they a true "long range rifle" for taking shots at elk, caribou or moose?
I am old, 69, overweight and not nearly as strong as I once was. My favorite long range hunting rifle is a custom Remington 700 with a 30" barrel with a muzzle brake 338 Edge shooting 280 grain Barnes bullets. The barrel is varmint weight contour, fluted but not skinny. This rifle wears a Leupold 4.5 X 14 scope that is not the lightest scope around. When I bought the rifle, I told the smith the only criteria was for it to shoot itty bitty groups. It does and I have NO problem carry that rifle all day. Granted my days of strolling up and down Mt. Everest a in the past but I truly believe that if the weight of the rifle is a limiting factor, maybe it is time to go sit in the "bean field" and take those tasty deer. By the way, I personally don't have any derogatory thoughts about sitting on the edge of a "bean field" or any other field for that matter if that is how I want to fill my tag.

Yeah 19elkhunter, I hear ya. I'm 77 but luckily for my genetics (and a good workout schedule) I can still ski, hunt and backpack above 8,000 feet. But with that geezerhood comes the necessity for ever lighter gear, such as my 21 oz. Dyneema fabric solo backpacking tent. Like my rifle, pricey but "I'm worth it". I ain't gonna take it with me into Valhalla.

About 3 years ago Len Bacus and I backpacked the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim. I realized then that I needed to increase my workouts because that hike really pushed my limits. Since then I can say I could do that hike again and enjoy it more. (My avatar photo is me on a rest stop on the last day.)

Eric B.

[QUOTE="19elkhunter51, post: 1972652, member: 14169......"I guess the parameters of what is going to be done with the rifle dictate what the rifle will weigh. I believe that the "long range" moniker means different things to different individuals, shooting different animals, metal or other competitions.....If you are only shooting varmints, antelope, deer and metal at a competition, sure those "lightweight" rifles shooting less than thirty caliber are fun to carry. Shooting at a metal plate is far different from shooting at an animal that deserves our respect and should be taken cleanly and humanely............But are they a true "long range rifle" for taking shots at elk, caribou or moose?.....I am old, 69, overweight and not nearly as strong as I once was. My favorite long range hunting rifle is a custom Remington 700 with a 30" barrel with a muzzle brake 338 Edge shooting 280 grain Barnes bullets. The barrel is varmint weight contour, fluted but not skinny. This rifle wears a Leupold 4.5 X 14 scope that is not the lightest scope around. When I bought the rifle, I told the smith the only criteria was for it to shoot itty bitty groups. It does and I have NO problem carry that rifle all day. Granted my days of strolling up and down Mt. Everest a in the past but I truly believe that if the weight of the rifle is a limiting factor, maybe it is time to go sit in the "bean field" and take those tasty deer. By the way, I personally don't have any derogatory thoughts about sitting on the edge of a "bean field" or any other field for that matter if that is how I want to fill my tag.........[/QUOTE]

....Covered it pretty well. I'll be hunting with a 16 lb 4 oz rifle this year, carrying it is out of the question. I'm having days that make it from the bed to this chair.

....I'll continue to do what I can while I can, with no apologies.

If talking about what I own it would be my 260 Remington. 700 action trued, 27" Krieger Sendero contour barrel, Timney 2 stage trigger, MDT Chassis 5 and 10 round mags. Vortex Razor HD 3-18x50 FFP scope. But if I could choose the ultimate it would be between the Barrett Model 82A1 in 416 or the 408 CheyTac M200

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.