Whats your favorite long range rifle ?

Sorry guy...but lets drift back on topic...

But like a couple have...the most recent build is the flavor of the day...

My Savage Axis personal build...6.5-06 Match

20200211_181858.jpg

Still a bit of a "work in progress" and very little Savage part left. Still waiting on my Sharp Shooters Supply bolt sleeve. Just replaced the trigger this week with a Basix.

P7312028.jpg

THIS is my favorite long range rifle. It's a Browning X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 PRC and shoots an actual 1/2 MOA with Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X ammo. Love it. I'll post another photo with the Bushnell 4.5 - 18 x 44 LRTS Elite scope with illuminated G3 reticle (small Xmas tree). A great long range combo for Nevada.

Last edited:
Out of all the over bore, expensive brass cases, barrel burners at 400 rounds. My 30-378 was the worst 1000 yard rifle I ever owned. It was time for it's third barrel and my thoughts were to make a 338-378. That cal and 30 inch barrel is ready to do it on any animal with the right pill.

My second love was a wildcat 1000 yard gun I bought from a guy at a meet. 7STW improved. Just sweet shooting with a brake and not expensive like the Weatherby cases. If you can't do it with a 175 - 190 grain pill. You need to find another hobby.

I have some fine 277, .264, .257, and .243. But for ethical long range hunting the 7mm is about as low as I would go on big game. The 7stw is not overbored like a RUM

Stunt shooting - 6.5 PRC and hopefully a new to me 6.5x47 Lapua that could give out some LR entertainment.

LR table meat - 300 Ultra Mag, 300 Wby, 7WSM and 280AI.

My custom apr built 30 nosler on a defiance tenacity.

I'm stacking 230s into .4-.5s and 300 yards. Going to the 600 yard range as soon as I can get a little time.

I had apr spin up a bart in 6 dasher for a little fun range gun. I picked up the action dirt cheap on here and had the stock and scope laying around just waiting for something like this. The stock needs work so it will have to wait just a bit.
Screenshot_20200227-162936_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20200307-151107_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200227-162936_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20200307-151107_Photos.jpg

I'm stacking 230s into .4-.5s and 300 yards. Going to the 600 yard range as soon as I can get a little time.

I had apr spin up a bart in 6 dasher for a little fun range gun. I picked up the action dirt cheap on here and had the stock and scope laying around just waiting for something like this. The stock needs work so it will have to wait just a bit.View attachment 180176View attachment 180178

View attachment 180176View attachment 180178
How are you liking the propriety APR Carbon Hunter stock?

To me, they're the best stock I've owned in a hunting handle.

I had apr spin up a bart in 6 dasher for a little fun range gun. I picked up the action dirt cheap on here and had the stock and scope laying around just waiting for something like this. The stock needs work so it will have to wait just a bit.View attachment 180176View attachment 180178

View attachment 180176View attachment 180178
beautiful, super nice

How are you liking the propriety APR Carbon Hunter stock?

To me, they're the best stock I've owned in a hunting handle.

I agree, it is by far my favorite stock. So much so I changed my plans to build this on a sendero profile proof barrel. I was locked into a proof for this build and was shopping stocks. I finally decided to make the stock a priority and build around it. Glad I did it!

I have a McMillan hunter which is similar to this one and love it plus had a sako 75 years ago which is what both of the above mentioned stocks are based on.

I've had a few of the popular vertical grip stocks and while great from the bench, i just dont enjoy them in the field.

I'm planning a lightweight build off the apr stock and a 20 inch proof sendero lite in a wsm or Sherman short very soon.

Factory Remington SPS sporter with 24" barrel in 308 Winchester...

I had mine reaching out there to 1450 meters,,, it took 50 shots the first day for zero hits,,, the next day it took me 7 shots to get onto the 12" gong,,, 3 more hits out of 20... Ha...

Ive dropped back since then to 1230 meters with much better success...

Key components consist of Henery Remple F class bypod resting on 50 lb iron plate... exrta large bunny ear rear bag,,, Sightron 24 power target optic shooting Hornady 178 ELD-M's at 2630 ft-per seconds...

Very challenging to pull this off with the factory stock and trigger...

It's alot to do with getting set up behind the package and dry-firers before sending it,,, clean break of the crappy trigger are a must...

That rifle has been replaced by a custom built Remmy that can reach way past the 1400 mark with standard case,,, Ha...

It cost a few bucks to get it sorted... I'll find out this spring how it plays out...

Cheers from the Fred Bragg Memorial shooting range,,, go long or stay at home... ha

Up to 600 yards I use any of my .308's. To go further I use a 338 Lapua with a 27" barrel. I mainly hunt deer and can usually set up as far as I want to shoot.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts