What's your favorite Hot Rod?

Still got my 1970 Boss 302 from college days.

Attachments

• Boss_2.jpg
    Boss_2.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 26
Current inventory;

1964 Chevy II hardtop- fuel injected 409 cui SBC backed by a tremec 5 speed building for road racing/ driver

1969 Chevy Nova- 409 cui SBC backed by a full manual powerglide with trans brake build as a sleeper street race car. Best @ 10.49/ 134mph in the 1/4. Should go 9.90 with gears.

1977 Chevy k10 shorty- 454 BBC backed by an sm465. Currently has 8" all spring lift, 1 ton axles and 37" tires. Was my high school truck with lots of sentimental value.

Dream car would be a 1969 Boss 429 mustang or a 1961 bubbletop 409 bel air! I have a thing for the gassers too! Thanks for posting this OP and thanks to all that are sparking memories for me with there's!

My first car, used 67 Camaro SS 4 Spd. Started as stock 290 HP 350. Still in high school. Ended w/ 11-1 pistons, 202 heads, flycut pistons for Crane solid lift cam, Accell distributor, Hookers, Offenhauser w/ Holley 750 DP, etc, etc. Surprised I can remember all that. List keeps going. A lot cheaper to build those days for sure!
Still would love to find a 67 Chevy II SS 327. Turbo 400. Those were the good ole days. You could even afford premium gas.

Current inventory;

1964 Chevy II hardtop- fuel injected 409 cui SBC backed by a tremec 5 speed building for road racing/ driver

1969 Chevy Nova- 409 cui SBC backed by a full manual powerglide with trans brake build as a sleeper street race car. Best @ 10.49/ 134mph in the 1/4. Should go 9.90 with gears.

1977 Chevy k10 shorty- 454 BBC backed by an sm465. Currently has 8" all spring lift, 1 ton axles and 37" tires. Was my high school truck with lots of sentimental value.

Dream car would be a 1969 Boss 429 mustang or a 1961 bubbletop 409 bel air! I have a thing for the gassers too! Thanks for posting this OP and thanks to all that are sparking memories for me with there's!
My VERY first car was a 1962 Chevy II, baby blue with the straight six, bought it from a neighbor lady for 250.00 it needed a valve guide! Wish I had it today, them old box Nova's were awesome little cars!!!

My first car, used 67 Camaro SS 4 Spd. Started as stock 290 HP 350. Still in high school. Ended w/ 11-1 pistons, 202 heads, flycut pistons for Crane solid lift cam, Accell distributor, Hookers, Offenhauser w/ Holley 750 DP, etc, etc. Surprised I can remember all that. List keeps going. A lot cheaper to build those days for sure!
Still would love to find a 67 Chevy II SS 327. Turbo 400. Those were the good ole days. You could even afford premium gas.
At one time I had 6 BB Mopar engines in my garage, 1- 426 max wedge motor (NOT a hemi) 4-440's and a 383, 2 crash box 4-speeds and an extra Dana 60... Man those parts nowadays would by a new pickup!!! Sure was much easier to build em back in the day... My buddies Vega that ran mid 10's had 13/1 C-R we used to go to the local airport and buy AVgas for it!!! It was a 90 - 10 car, ya work on it 90% of the time to drive it 10%... But OHHH MAN that 10% was sooo worth it!!!!!

I never had any fast cars but I did have a '73 Impala 2 door with a 454. FUN car to drive! Such a big boat, it kind of floated down the road!
Itd roast the tires at will. Dad had just put a new set of Goodyear radials on it before I got it. The first weekend I burned them off and blew one out.
Dad wouldn't buy me any more tires so I got to be good friends with the tire guy at the Co-op.

I was more into 4x4s, anyway. Had a '75 GMC Jimmy whose top came off in the spring and didnt go back on til I got tired of brushing snow off the seat.
Then, right after I graduated high school a good friend of mine helped me buy and fix up this old Chevy K20. Small block 400 with a SM465/205, 6" spring lift and 14/35-16.5s.
That was my daily driver for 10+ years.

My newest hot rod is an 09 Dodge 3500 with a 6.7 Cummins and 6 speed manual trans.
Not sure on the horsepower, but Im pretty sure I could lock it into 4wd and roast all four.
Compound turbos, big injectors, ARP head studs, tuner, etc....
Cant drive it without smiling!

Attachments

• 20230124_215052.jpg
    20230124_215052.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Anything with an old school V8 fed with a carb....anything!! My first rig in HS was a 53 5 window with a built 30 over 327 202's, M22, 9", with flatbed to lighten it up. Yes we actually used to drag race a 1/4 mile....none of this 1/8 junk. Its sitting at the ranch after the barn fell on it this day. Theives have stolen all the OE emblems, and I'm hoping one of the grandkids want to rebuild it back.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2670.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2670.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 18
My friend did a Vega Wagon V8 . I love the Vegas .
Those and the V8 Pinto. Only way to hook them up they had to tubb them. Those things in my day were all over the place as the guys knew almost nothing about suspension set up. Only figured out how to stuff the engine, tranny, and re hang the rear. That brother is bringing back some fun memories.

Back in the day, I drove a 1970 Cyclone GT 429 with Hurst Road and Track 4 spd and positrack. Shaker Hood, stroked out to 460 cubes with a Lincoln crank, 2 Holly 4 bbls, Hooker Headers, and a cam. Balanced and blue printed with compression ratio of 12 and custom pistons and push rods, and valves.

Cost me about $3,000 for all the upgrades. The car was 3000 too and had no AC and no power windows or steering. It was the fastest car anywhere around West Texas on the street. It was probably turning out just north of 600 HP. Back then on the street, that was Amazing! It would get a 4th gear scratch shifting into 4th gear at 120 mph. It had treeeemendous torque. I regularly shut down all the 426 Hemis, and Corvettes, GTO's whatever.

I soon got 14 traffic citations, and lost my license for some months.
My girl friend would come by in her VW Beetle, and honk.........

My ambition now is to one day build a 1969 Pontiac Firebird Convertible and put a 455 crate motor with some extra horses in it. Sort of a Restomod. Something to drive my wife in through the country, and to the golf course on Sundays.....:)

Gotta Dream anyway.....

Back in the day, I drove a 1970 Cyclone GT 429 with Hurst Road and Track 4 spd and positrack. Shaker Hood, stroked out to 460 cubes with a Lincoln crank, 2 Holly 4 bbls, Hooker Headers, and a cam. Balanced and blue printed with compression ratio of 12 and custom pistons and push rods, and valves.

Cost me about $3,000 for all the upgrades. The car was 3000 too and had no AC and no power windows or steering. It was the fastest car anywhere around West Texas on the street. It was probably turning out just north of 600 HP. Back then on the street, that was Amazing! It would get a 4th gear scratch shifting into 4th gear at 120 mph. It had treeeemendous torque. I regularly shut down all the 426 Hemis, and Corvettes, GTO's whatever.

I soon got 14 traffic citations, and lost my license for some months.
My girl friend would come by in her VW Beetle, and honk.........

My ambition now is to one day build a 1969 Pontiac Firebird Convertible and put a 455 crate motor with some extra horses in it. Sort of a Restomod. Something to drive my wife in through the country, and to the golf course on Sundays.....:)

Gotta Dream anyway.....
I've never been a Ford guy, but wasn't the 429 a kind of unusual head, similar to a Hemi? Or was that a different engine?

Recent Posts