Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?

Im lucky enough to live in the town where Whites are made so that'd be my first choice.

Cabela's also has a pretty large selection of good looking footwear with a pretty good return policy. Try them out and see what works for you.

This may sound odd, but these boots are by far the best I have used for hunting in 20-70 degree weather.
10008_pair_001.jpg

They are so light, it was awkward to walk in them the first time. They are waterproof, but don't get as hot as rubber boots because the looser fit allows air movement. The foam type sole is soft enough to feel sticks and other terrain under your foot, but also quite tough. I see they are on sale, I might have to get another pair.

I live and hunt in Central Washington, lots of sagebrush, rocks, and sand. The summers get over 100 and the winders below 0. Early Season I wear Oakley SI assault desert boots. Very comfortable, breathable (suede uppers and two vents on the inside of the foot). Soft(er) bottom makes feeling the ground easy, but still provides enough support for me. I wear them as my SWAT boots as well. I have a pair in black for normal patrol use that are worn every day. I usually wear out the soles once a year on my patrol boots. My Danner Acadias have lasted through four winters (patrol), but are much louder and only get 1/3 the use. The soles need replacing, but the rest of the boot is fine. When things get wet Gore Tex Merrills take over hunting duty, and when it is really cold and I am seditary (goose hunting or deployed as a sniper for long hours in winter) Cabelas 1200 gm thinsulate gore tex boots work just fine. I am don't have a lot of experience packing a lot of miles into remote mountain terrain so what works for me may not work in those conditions.

Last edited:
just got the kenetrek mountain extremes, seem like really good boots.. really stiff but for a dall and stone sheep hunt that i may be goin on in the next couple of years they will be perfect.. oh, and my elk hunt in november! gun)

Well for me, i live in/near the mountains nowadays and have backpacked/climbed for so many years that my choices are skewed toward a boot which will support my feet/ankles while i'm carrying a pack.

My latest boots for Spring/Fall/Early Winter are here - Alpina "Peak" boots. Nothing like the superb quality of full-grain, 3mm Perwanger leather!!!:

Alpina - Peak

They're probably not available in the States anymore, but i live very close to the country they were made in. Oh, and i got 'em for about $125US!!!

For when the temps are gonna be cold, i use an insulated mountain boot. Found here:

La Sportiva Nepal Extreme review by MissionsMan - Trailspace.com

They're not the current model - see the price i paid for 'em - what a SWEET deal i got - could not believe it!!! I've had 'em for along time and they're still in excellent shape (could do with a re-sole of the Vibram though).

If it's gonna be really freakin' cold, i wear these overboots/gators, well, over my LaSports.

WhittakerMountaineering.com -- on sale, footwear, outdoor research, brooks ranger overboot

They're ready to go for arctic wear - no joke. I've had my feet frost-bite more than a few times and now they are almost always cold. Even in summer so i really need something warm that won't let me down. The boots and such i wear really perform in harsh conditions - as in -25F standing temps while cramponing into hard snow/ice - very cold stuff.

Granted, my choices are nowhere near the standard "hunting mans" boots. I used to be that guy - grew up in dairy country, but i somehow found myself heading to the mountains - something bigger than the Porcupines (for the "Yoopers" here!). Now, my choices are radically different and conventional "hunting boots" aren't remotely in the same league. Those types of boots are still good, just nowhere near as capable.

Rossignol BCX11 75mm Nordic Norm cross country ski boots are as close to the classic leather Telemark ski boots as you can get. The classic leather 75mm Nordic Norm ski boots are hard to find, heavier, not as warm, and cost more. These take their place rather well and I like the lighter weight and more waterproof construction. Guess what the Nordic Telemark skiers mostly used their ski boots and ski gear for??? That's right.....trapping and hunting.

In deep snow, a man on skis that can float on top of the snow is no longer slower and of less endurance than a large animal that must posthole through the snow. Humans in northern climates found this out a long time ago. Also, remember the old Luftwaffe fighter pilot code of attack: Always from above, seldom on the level and never from below. A Telemark skier that has a height advantage can close on his quarry since the quarry has less stored potential energy and less speed on a sustained basis. Skis and hilly terrain equal an advantage for the hunter in snowy conditions. Can you see why Fischer has named one of their new skis suitable for the hunter "silent spider"???

Remember the famous olympic champion skier Bjorn Daeli from Norway? Remember how he swept the men's Nordic sking field a few winter olympics ago? Guess what he if famous for in Norway besides his olympic skiing victories? That's right, he had an outdoor hunting and fishing show where he showed people how to bag and cook all that wild game you could get in the field, and a lot of it from skiing.

Of course, a set of classic Telemark ski gear extends the hunting season to spring, and it's in the interest of a some folks who quietly go about their business to hope the rest of you never get into this form of skiing.

Forget I told you this.

Irish setter boots ?????

Does anyone know anything about the "SHADOW TREK" uninsulated boots ?? These are a Gortex boot but No insulation. I have a pair of boots (not Irish setter) with 400gr Thinsulate Lining and my feet "Roast" if i wear them in other than Snow areas. Are the Shadow Trek's gonna get too Sweaty ??

Last edited:
The old style Danner Pronghorn GTX. On my second pair but I see they have added a bunch of rubberized stuff I don't care for. I got a steal on my new set too, found them on ebay in the box for $125 on my door.

I probably have 10 pr. boots, I try to get a new pr, each yr. or to because I wear them out. I have Danner, Lowa, Merrel, different weights for conditions. I like light for early season antelope etc. M y favorite mountain boot is a Asolo G 5 mountaineer, crampon compatable boot. Later season for elk and muleys.OR gators, gore, and light alum, crampons, can cover steep muley country.

I was a LOWA fan until I tried Kennetreks.

Don't have many miles on the Kennetreks yet, but so far they are simply an awesome boot in terms of comfort and support. I got them for a mule deer hunt in the canyons of E Oregon.

I was a LOWA fan until I tried Kennetreks.

I would try the Kenetreks but I need to have a non-Gortex boot. My feet sweat way too much in Gortex boots. So far my Lowa's are excellent. I wish I could find a comparable high top boot that's non-Gortex.
Gordon

I would try the Kenetreks but I need to have a non-Gortex boot. My feet sweat way too much in Gortex boots. So far my Lowa's are excellent. I wish I could find a comparable high top boot that's non-Gortex.
Gordon

Gordon,

Kenetrek sells the Mountain Safari for warm weather. It does not have the waterproof membrane.

KENETREK MOUNTAIN SAFARI-Kenetrek Boots

What I like about the Kentreks in the hinge that allows your ankle to flex. I always thought that Lowa made the most comfortable boot for my foot until I tried the Kentreks. The Lowas Sheephunters bunch up and pinch where my ankle flexes like most boots. The Kenetreks don't. Kenetrek should pay me for advertising this feature for them. Its the one thing that makes them standout compared to the rest, for my foot. Everything else seems comparable to a high quality boot. Other companies have hinges too, but check out how wide and deep the hinge is on the Kenetrek. Your foot/ankle may not care about the hinge/bunching but mine does. Amazing that Kentrek doesn't list this as a comfort feature.

Jason

I know the type of area you hunt as I hunt west of Twisp up Little Bridge creek and I have destroyed boots there.
I found Red Head boots to be tough enough to take the pounding I put them through.
I destroyed a pair of Danners in one week in the back country. Everything is vertical and lots of rocks and shale. I was in snow for the week and found the Danners were not cut out for the abuse I put them through.
Merrils are great boots from everyone I know who has them.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.